DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hd100's sweet spot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/85023-hd100s-sweet-spot.html)

Brian Luce January 28th, 2007 05:33 PM

Hd100's sweet spot?

A lot of people say video cams often work best at 5.6. What are findings with the hd100?

Eric Darling January 28th, 2007 07:06 PM

f4 - at least with the stock lens.

George David January 28th, 2007 07:07 PM

Brian, great question. That was what I wanted to find out today. As we all know, wide angle with the stock lens just plain sucks in resolution compared to say an XLH1. So I wanted to find the sweet spot of the fuji 16x for myself. In short, I get the sharpest images @ f5.6 and the focus barrel @ 15 feet. At the longer end, the HD100's stock lens just shines (f2.8 to f8.0) except at full telephoto. This is all from my unscientific tests.

George David January 28th, 2007 07:15 PM

Eric's answer may be a lot more accurate than mine.

Eric, you live in Savannah? That's my 2nd favorite city (1st is Charleston). I used to live in S. Carolina!!! Now I'm stuck in the ice box capital of the west. But at least Sundance is here.

Steve Oakley January 29th, 2007 12:19 AM

2.8-4

at 5.6 there is generally too much DoF unless you want deep DoP

once you go past 8, you start running into pinhole effects from the smaller apeture. I often flip the ND filter on, even when shooting inside to get back to 2.8 1/2

Steve Oakley

Marc Colemont January 29th, 2007 03:49 AM

Outdoors in the sun I add an ND .6 on top of the ND 2 of the camera to reach the f4.

Werner Wesp January 29th, 2007 06:41 AM

It's all a bit dependant on taste, I suppose, but FWIW never OPEN (abberation limitations of the lens) and never over f8 (diffraction effects will take the 'wow'-factor out of the HD)

Bill Ravens January 29th, 2007 08:14 AM

even f/8 is a bit soft. for me f/4-f/5.6

Mark Silva January 29th, 2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
It's all a bit dependant on taste, I suppose, but FWIW never OPEN (abberation limitations of the lens) and never over f8 (diffraction effects will take the 'wow'-factor out of the HD)

All the way open creates "white shading" where the upper 1/3 of the screen has a magenta cast.

I wish they would fix that in the firmware.

John Vincent January 29th, 2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva
All the way open creates "white shading" where the upper 1/3 of the screen has a magenta cast.

I wish they would fix that in the firmware.

I was under the impression that it was the lens, esp when wide open, that caused this...

Is this not so? Anyone with a wide angle lens out there having this happen?

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

William Dunn January 29th, 2007 02:51 PM

cameraman

I read in one of Mr. Carl Hick' posts (JVC rep) that the white shading has been fixed in the 200 series. I was on the verge of buying the HD 110, and this has put me off it as I was starting a new film which features much long lens shots of the outdoors. Now skys are generally blue, but not all and not always purple!
Can JVC fix this with a firmwear upgrade which i'm sure owners would pay for?

Mark Silva January 29th, 2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent
I was under the impression that it was the lens, esp when wide open, that caused this...

Is this not so? Anyone with a wide angle lens out there having this happen?

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

no, it happens when the iris is full open.

seems silly that it would do this. Full open should be possible with no excuses.

They should correct it.

Steve Oakley January 29th, 2007 06:45 PM

I've never seen the problem with the stock lens mounted, but I have had it with my canon 50mm 1.8 direct mount. I think its more about reflections between the CCD block, the back of the lens, and maybe something shiny in the lens mount area somewhere.

Steve Oakley

Mark Silva January 30th, 2007 06:26 PM

I only have the stock lens.

I see it everytime I open up all the way.

Gary Morris McBeath January 30th, 2007 09:46 PM

Me too. With the stock lens and the 17x as well. Have to close to at least f2.8, better at f4. Sure wish I knew what was causing this.

Gary