HD200/250 Feedback? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sticky details

I am glad to hear that you have not noticed that particular defect but, nevertheless, I understand that the motion recording issue that others have noticed has been addressed and rectified in the HD 200/250 series.

Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Wilk
I am glad to hear that you have not noticed that particular defect but, nevertheless, I understand that the motion recording issue that others have noticed has been addressed and rectified in the HD 200/250 series.

Ron
Fascinating, I must have miscalculated the acuteness of this defect.

I recall reading about it exclusively in Adam Wilt's Texas Shootout.

Now, I am interested in becoming well versed in the new Prohd revisions. The assertions of improved noise reduction and other enhancements have compelled me to consider the investment of a hd 200/250 in the immediate future.

Is there a website that can elaborate more on the Prohd improvements featured in hd 200/250?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Fragments that 'stick' are always a concern with MPEG-2 streams, however I have never noticed it out of my HD101 - and trust me, I've been looking for it at times. 'defect' is a strange word to use for such a thing. 'Limitation' or 'budget' might come into mind.

MPEG-2 encoders become better and better over time, so any artifact of lower quality should lower in time. However, it needs to be said that the GOPs are longer with the new series (200/250), and that is the usual reason for MPEG-2 artifact such as this - because there's just 1 refreshed I-frame every 12 frames, instead of 6. Those 12 frames are covered with the same amount of data as the 6 frames in the previous encoder. Movements between frames is lower of course, but still, it would be a feat in itself to maintain the quality of 6-frame-GOP-25p-video, while coding it in 12-frame-gops (50p). My point is: the encoder needed to be improved to maintain the same image quality. And I can't really say the overal image quality has improved (even less 'dramatically').

Of course the new 14-bit DSP is more precise, but that's another subject...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems