Alternate mic mount for HD110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Alternate mic mount for HD110

I'm trying to mount a Beyerdynamic MCE86 shotgun in the place of the supplied onboard mic. The Beyer is far too thick to properly fit the stock mounting. Is there another mount available which will fit larger diameter microphones?

I really don't want to use the accessory shoe to attach it becuase of the on camera AB lights I use.

The reason I want the MCE86 is because I consider it perfect as far as quality and pickup pattern go. The supplied mic on the HD110 IMO, and as noted in other threads, is not adequate in some situations.

Thanks for all the help, and I love reading the forums.
Joshua Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Major Player

I use an extra module which also removes noises from the camera. I will look up the partnumber when I get home tonight.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have one of these: RODE SM5
It even comes with a spare set of silicone bands!
Also versions for Accessory shoe etc.
http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Pro...016fbde6c41986

I use it with a RODE NT1G, also works with AT835 etc. but the cam looks scary with a longer mic on it

les H

Last edited by Les Howarth; February 1st, 2007 at 08:24 AM.
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Major Player

KTek also makes a suspension that fits onto the JVC and provides much better isolation. You will definitely get lots of handling noise using a good quality shotgun on the camera itself.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
New Boot

I shoot primarily sports in loud environments, hence the tight pickup. In a Basketball courtside situation, handling noise is probably the least of my problems. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Does JVC not make a replacement mic clamp that can handle thicker mics? I'm trying to avoid enlarging the camera profile by using an offset adapter/shockmount.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Frye
I'm trying to mount a Beyerdynamic MCE86 shotgun in the place of the supplied onboard mic. The Beyer is far too thick to properly fit the stock mounting. Is there another mount available which will fit larger diameter microphones?
Hi!
I really don't know how thick that microphone can be, yet, I have a Sony ECM-672, which is definitely thicker than the stock JVC, but I managed to mount it.
I just open the clamp, place the microphone on the bottom part of the clamp and squeeze both parts of the clamp while I tighten the screw (just enough, since it won't screw all the way in). My mic barely fits there, but it does, and I have to admit that the first time I did it, I was afraid it would break, but it holds up pretty well.
Please don't blame me if you break it on "my" account.
Cheers,
Sergio.
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Joshua,

I have not heard of an thicker or replacement mic mount that goes directly onto the camera. The current mount only seems to mount pretty standard shotgun style microphones.

For example, there is no way you could mount a Rode hypercardiod of the fixed capsule X/Y stereo mic on the JVC without using some sort of off set extender of which there are several available.

rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #8
New Boot

Again; thanks for all the replies.

The Beyer is even thicker then the Sony ECM series.

I've found a way of mounting the MCE86 now though. I just take the foam off, and where the profile is cut down a bit, tighten it down, and then push it forward, then put the windscreen back on.

In anycase, I appreciate all the help, but if there's a replacement mount out there somewhere, I'd still be interesed.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM   #9
Major Player

I looked it up. It's a K-TEK microphone anti-shock mount I have. It fits into the existing Mic-mount of the camera.
It also places my shotgun higher, so it doesn't hit the Mattebox.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems