DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC - Green Screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/85526-jvc-green-screen.html)

Matt Setnes February 2nd, 2007 05:25 PM

JVC - Green Screen

Is there any JVC footage out there with tape-captured green screen? I have a video next Saturday and curious on how well it does.

Nima Taheri February 2nd, 2007 07:55 PM

Matt:

I shot a video with the HD100 @ 50p HDV on a blue screen. I'm wrapping up the video, should be done in a few days, will post it as soon as it's done...

Eric Darling February 2nd, 2007 08:34 PM

Actually, I just directed and edited four commercials for a local grade school that were shot with the HD-100 on green screen. They turned out beautifully. Of course, it helps to light well and use Keylight in After Effects. But other than that, it's much easier to key HDV than it is DV. These were shot in 24p (as were the backgrounds).

The four spots are viewable at half-res here: (H.264 QT)
http://www.ethreemedia.com/bss

Kit Hannah February 2nd, 2007 09:02 PM

Those look great, Eric. Simple, yet effective. I did notice a green tint where the kid's hair is sticking up, but you have to feeze it to see it. Believe me, I'm not being critical at all. They look wonderful.

As for Nima, please do post that footage, or at least some snapshots. I am doing a JVC HD-110 shoot on thursday and we will attempt to run a blue screen. I too will try to post some photos / video up when I get a chance after the shoot.

Eric Darling February 2nd, 2007 09:07 PM

Yeah - the hair was a last minute thing on that one - the producer threw it in at the last minute - we hadn't even lit for it. So, we're lucky it looks good enough to air, frankly. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.

Incidentally, this was a green fabric backdrop, and shot behind a stage at the school. So conditions were hardly ideal. We even had a terrible fan noise than I had to reduce - it's still in there, but barely. Notice the school color is a dark green. The kid with the hair had a green shirt on! Let's just say it was not a simple key.

Kit Hannah February 2nd, 2007 09:43 PM

I did notice that? I was like, "wow, that screen must have been really bright to not key the shirt out". The hair thing was really a good touch though, and the commercials are as good as you're going to see for that type of commercial with a screen. Looks very clean too. I've been doing audio for 16 years and missed the background noise, so I highly doubt if anyone will notice. Then again, I do have 2 computers sitting right next to me at ear level with 8 fans each cooling duo cores and tons of Hard drives - not the quietest things in the world

BTW, How do you guys record your audio?? Sounded good.

Eric Darling February 2nd, 2007 10:19 PM

The whole screen was lit with two Lowel DPs each lamped @ 500W. So, net wattage of 1K. The key was a 500W DP with small Chimera and 1 stop baffle. The back light was a 300W Arri fresnel, and we also used one 100 Arri fresnel as a kicker. Both back lights had in-line dimmers. We had about 15 feet from the talent to the background, and about 10 feet from camera to talent. It was shot with the stock Fuji lens.

The audio for the kids was from a boom mounted directly overhead - it's a Sony ECM-672, phantom powered by a Shure FP-33 mixer, snaked directly to the camera for recording. I've been thinking of upgrading to the relatively new Shoeps shotgun at some point. The Sony is a reasonably good microphone, though, and very rugged. It's been abused for seven years now.

Brian Luce February 2nd, 2007 11:38 PM

It looked like the kid was wearing a green shirt? How did that work out? I thought you couldn't do that.

Eric Darling February 3rd, 2007 09:02 AM

Yeah, with most keyers, it's impossible. But Keylight is something special. :)

Joseph Josselyn February 3rd, 2007 10:59 AM

Mind explain your workflow

Looked wonderful! I am pleased to know that JVC HD100 can make a good greenscreen. Was it shot to the tape? Edited in FCP in native HDV codec? (Or use AIC or DVCProHD?)

Joseph

Eric Darling February 3rd, 2007 11:58 AM

Yes, shot to tape, edited in FCP using DVCPRO HD (Kona LHe, analog component input). I wouldn't want to do the same job using the HD-100 in DV mode, of course. Since I knew the keys would be difficult, I stacked the deck by using the higher quality DVCPRO HD codec.

Eric Kome February 3rd, 2007 12:03 PM

hd-110 HD + Ultimatte + Greenscreen = awesome

i just finished shooting and editing a training dvd all greenscreen with the hd-110 in hd. i used Ultimatte to key with, and man, i can't say enough about that software. excellent keys with just a few clicks. works in FCP, AE and Photoshop. it's expensive ($1500), but if you're gonna be doing a bit of it in the future, it easily paid for itself with this one project.

i don't have samples with me, but will post on monday..

something else, i shot 30fps HD, and man, rendering took much long than i could have imagined. something to keep in mind if you're on a deadline...

Eric Darling February 3rd, 2007 12:09 PM

I've heard good things about Ultimatte. But Keylight is exceptional and FREE - the plugin is included on your After Effects install disc. You have to install it separately, but it's there.

John Jackman February 3rd, 2007 09:09 PM

AdvantEdge is nice, but PriMatte and Zmatte do a better job for a better price IMHO. Keylight is my all-time favorite keyer but it does not uprez the 4:2:0 chroma, so there are situations where it will show a stairstepped edge.

My new book on bluescreening will be out in April from Focal Press, many samples of HD100 footage.

Jack Walker February 4th, 2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Jackman
My new book on bluescreening will be out in April from Focal Press, many samples of HD100 footage.

How does Serious Magic's Ultra 2 compare to the others?
Thanks.