Will the Focus Enhancements FS-4 HD 40GB work with HD110? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

How Do I get the TC readout in Firesore and HD110?

It seems like I only get a TC readout in the Firestore display, and everytime I start recording, it resets to zero. The TC readout in the HD110 stays frozen.
When I put a tape in and put the Firestore in Sync mode, everything works fine. Just when I go tapeless is when I can't get the TC.

Last edited by Ben Garvey; March 15th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #17

In order for TC to work, there's gotta be a tape in the camera.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
Just to make sure of all of my options, I did a search under B&H for 'HD100'
and this item came up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Does anyone know if it would work with the HD100? It appears that they record everything as .avi or .mov
And how is the quality compared to the Firestore FS-4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
i would avoid citidisk.
As a former Citidisc HDV Drive owner, you should listen to Bill.

Here is what I have learned about DRD recorders, and the "hype" that is just that, Hype.

I film weddings, so I will come home with 6-7 hours of footage. I purchased 2 Citidisc drives (the 100gb HDV models) so I would never have to sit through 6-7 hours of importing again.

Problem #1 with DTD
98% of the DTD drives are FAT32 file structures. Each of these drives can only record 8 minute long m2t, or avi, mov, or dv files to the drive. once it has reach 8 minutes of constant recording, it makes a new file. when your recording a 2 hour Bat Mitzvah Ceremony, that is alot of files.

Problem #2
Those nifty 8 minute clips.
Each of those 8 minute clips drops a frame or 2 (4 in my case) at the front, and back end of each of those clips. So that 3 hour ceremony, HA jumps and sputters through the entire thing. Forget about non stop smooth 3 hour clips.

Problem #3
Staying on.
I had massive issues with filming 6 hours, and only getting 20 minutes of footage on the Drive.I had external power cells, and at one time the drives were powered by the Anton Batteries on the camera. Turns out, any quick movement, jolt, jump, would cause the drive to stop recording, example, I am filming a MotoGP race, I need to run across the pits, the Drive shuts down, I am not aware of it, and it fails to record 80% of the day. Happened on all of the projects I used those drives on.

Problem #4
Marketing.
Manufactors market these things as the "must have" all of the people on here buying Firestores, Citidisk, etc must not film Weddings or need to shoot a 3 hour long event, because there is only 1 brand of DTD that has an NTFS file structure, Nnovia.
From what I have read, talked to reps about, and researched on Nnovia, I can film 3 hours, and have a 3 hour clip, in an HDV QT file. I am sure there are other brands, but this was before I decided to go to good old fashion HDV tape only recording.

Dont ever waste your time on Citidisc, complete pieces of crap. Over priced laptop drives that are only good for a powered firewire drive to connect to your laptop. If you shoot long Ceremonies or corporate events, look into an NTFS drive, even then, you still have to export into a format from the m2t if you use FCP, or any other NLE that does not handle raw m2t files, I know Canopus will edit raw m2t files.

I used them, and now do not see the point anymore. DTD drives are pointless in my eyes now, for what I do.

That is just my opinion.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Jim I think you've got a fair point with the kind of work you do. However, for people doing work involving shorter takes these hardrives can be a really handy way of a) reviewing footage B) storing and C) giving an invaluable back-up sytem.

G
Greg Corke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems