JVC HD 201 and 35mm adaptors - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Definitely the later - suffers under certain circumstances. Like I said that was the worst I've experienced (and on one of my first shoots too). The best thing you can do is calibrate the camera and test test test. I haven't found any noise unacceptable since then. When using the stock lens especially there are boundaries of acceptable sharpness and color qualities (the subtler of which I'm still figuring out). It can be VERY sharp if your lens is finely tuned.

Here are a few good grabs to help encourage you. It's a great camera and I would guess a killer combo with the Mini35!

(BTW, the "HollandHome" grab does exhibit some CA on the glasses and hair. Shouldn't be a problem if you use something other than the stock lens. The average person doesn't notice anyway.)
hi
very great pictures ! is that from a HD200 ?
i don't see any noise at all ! what settings did you used to achieve this ?

i don't really understand why does dark areas produce noise... why don't the camera take it as is that's all ? :D
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #77
Major Player

That was from an HD100 with the PT3 settings using Standard gamma. I don't know why the noise is there sometimes. But I do know that if you expose well (above 50IRE) that you will get cleaner images. But sometimes it has to be dark and I guess that's when you roll the dice. ;-)
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #78
Regular Crew

This is great info to hear about. So was there a total tally number of F stops of light lost with the adapter and such?

Thanks Chad for the updates!

Tony B.
Roy Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #79
Major Player

Roy,
I've rated my HD100 + Brevis + 2.8 lens at 125 ASA.

I include the prime lens in there because I almost always leave it at 2.8 so it's more or less a fixed setting and I adjust the stock lens iris.

I've read that the JVC alone is about 320ASA which would make the adapter + lens a stop and a half slower.

One interesting note is that I have never gained any real amount of light by opening the prime lens up to even a 1.2. In my experience it's the same whether you're at a 1.4 or 2.8 with the Brevis. Curious I know, but I wonder what others have experienced with this or other adapters.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra View Post
Roy,
I've rated my HD100 + Brevis + 2.8 lens at 125 ASA.

I include the prime lens in there because I almost always leave it at 2.8 so it's more or less a fixed setting and I adjust the stock lens iris.

I've read that the JVC alone is about 320ASA which would make the adapter + lens a stop and a half slower.

One interesting note is that I have never gained any real amount of light by opening the prime lens up to even a 1.2. In my experience it's the same whether you're at a 1.4 or 2.8 with the Brevis. Curious I know, but I wonder what others have experienced with this or other adapters.
that's odd Chad. I definately find a difference with that wide range of stops. Also with the cf3 anything over f1.8 and i get that static grain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems