Hd200 & Hd250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hd200 & Hd250

I've been looking at pictures and it appears that these 2 cameras are exactly the same length. Does anyone know for sure? thanks
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Trustee

They have the same body, but the features are different.

Here is the JVC page that compares the cameras:
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...amcorders.html
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #3
Trustee

exactly the same length. You need to decide whether you need the TC in and out, genlock and SDI out. There's been many threads talking about why you would/wouldn't these features.

If not go for the 200 it's much cheaper. I did!
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, Phil what do you think of the camera so far? I am trying to decide on an HD camera upgrade, and its been tough! I'm really interested in the HD200 but haven't heard too much about the Camera. I've pretty much ruled out the XLH1 because i dont really like the form factor, and the fact that its tough to get good focus without a field monitor. So that leaves me with either the HD200 or an XDCam HD. I know, i know...they are two totally different cameras in different leagues but i'm trying to decide whether or not i will actually need the extra quality of an XDCam. And the XDCam is twice the price of the HD200.... Do you think the HD200 is a viable option? I mean i know i won't be able to produce programs for maybe Discovery HD....but do you think with your experience with the camera and in the industry, that the HD200 would be a wise choice? thanks again
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Brian

Tough question. If you have the money then I would go for the XDCAM HD but it's 4 times the price of the others with lens/batteries. But you get a superior camera with the best/ most affordable workflow out there.

The HVX is amazing BUT the P2 thing is a problem for me. You can't backup onto anything other than hard drive really. The cards are expensive and I hate to wipe my master rushes.

The JVC is very nice. Great form factor especially if you are used to big cameras. Great picture, but only 720p for HD not 1080i which may cause you issues. It works brilliantly with 35mm adaptor due to the focus assist and great VF and LCD and that it flips the image for you. I have just made a quick short using it and my Brevis 35. It is on my website under "35mm shorts 2" and more in depth at the shootout section under "JVC HD 201e and Brevis 35"

What is the market you are going for? Will you be doing post yourself?
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Trustee

If you are comparing the 200 to an XDCAM, I would think you would want to outfit the 200 with a lens other than the stock lens. That adds about $4-9,000 onto the body price.

Nate Weaver, one of the moderators here, I believe, went from an HD100 to an XDCAM. He would be in an excellent position to compare the 200 with the Sony. You might want to find a post from him and send him an email. His comments are always clear and to the point.

You might want a VCR for the HD200, another $4000. The XDCAM, with its discs ($30 each) gives you different options.

As said above, I think the first consideration is your final output. Do you need the additional info in the stream that the XDCAM has that HDV doesn't?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Major Player

What kind of settings were you using for your shoot Phil? I also have an HD201E - and am looking to get the 35mm adapter - do you recommend the Brevis and have you tried others - i am not interested in the $10,000 adapters
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Also whats the Brevis website Phil and what do you need for a Brevis set-up? just the Brevis and a nikon lense? if so does that mean i should sell the stock lense and also can you recommend any lenses for me to use with the adapter?
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
What kind of settings were you using for your shoot Phil? I also have an HD201E - and am looking to get the 35mm adapter - do you recommend the Brevis and have you tried others - i am not interested in the $10,000 adapters
I did a shootout with three of the main adaptors on my website, there is a long thread about it on the alternative imaging forum.

Specifically on the JVC have tried the M2 and the Brevis, both could really do with a relay lens to bring the length down.

You have to have the stock lens to focus on the Brevis's ground glass screen. The website is www.cinevate.com
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Major Player

What nikon lenses did you use - i am very new to this type of lense and have no idea which to buy in the event of my purchase of the brevis adapter.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #11
Trustee

it's definately worth reading my shootout page to get a better understanding of the adaptors and to browse the appropriate forum. There is so much information out there that will help you.

Lens wise I use fast Nikon mount lenses. Usually f1.4, f1.8 or f2.3 You need high quality glass for these adaptors that let in a lot of light. I use Zeiss optics for my 50mm and 85mm and various Sigma, Nikkor or Vivitar lenses for the other lengths. Every lens has a different look to it too with regards to colour etc...

To be honest it's hard to use these adaptors if you are use to video cameras. You have to relearn so much, I did and had disastrous attempts to start with. But i am now pretty confident with them but it takes practice and you need to read up on optics to understand fully why things happen. You dont need to really with video cameras, you do with 35mm adaptors!

Good luck

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems