Help Help! refurbished gy 100u - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

From mid 2005 to mid 2006 I was on this board everyday, and JVC was going the extra mile for any issues that people may have had.

Now since I placed my reservation for a Red One camera at NAB, I haven't been around here much. So I don't know if things have changed.

But, I will say there was a problem with my AB battery system being delivered and when my dealer ARMATOS made a call to JVC on my behalf to let them know there was a problem, JVC bent over backwards to remedy the issue and took care of it immediately.

FWIW if anyone does have a problem it's a good idea to ask your dealer and JVC area rep to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
We had a problem with one of our DV-5000's and it took 6 weeks for them to turn around - that after having the camera for only 2 weeks. Pretty ugly. They replaced our heads that had less than 10 hours with used heads having almost 1000.
Wow, I have to say I never heard of a major manufacturer installing used anything then alone heads.

Well, I can see why you feel the way you do Kit.

But I still want to believe your experience was the exception, not the rule. Let's hope so, anyway.

Regards
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #17
New Boot

for all JVC users +sam

tell me guys why have you chosen JVC instead of the canons , sony- wich are supose to be the... best
Israel Monrroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Monrroy
tell me guys why have you chosen JVC instead of the canons , sony- wich are supose to be the... best
This has been discussed ad nauseaum on the boards. Maybe you should read Adam Wilt's summary of the 4-camera shootout.
http://www.adamwilt.com/HD/4cams-part2.html
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Monrroy
I chose the JVC because it is way infront as a user friendly camera. JVC consulted professional cameramen when designing it.
I did a shoot for National Geographic in prisons in Australia a couple of months back and for NTSC / PAL conversion reasons we used a Sony Z1P. No lighting allowed and lots of hand held, also breakaway from sound recordist with no notice. I don't want to burrow 2 levels deep in the menu to switch to the camera mike. Try doing accurate iris pulls with Sony Z 1P in a run and gun situation and as for the focus system - the lens has no end stops and in poor light most of the time its very difficult to see accurate focus. On the JVC I can flick one switch on the audio panel on the outside of the camera, flick to auto levels on the outside of the camera. I can do a nice easy exposure setting on the professional style interchangeable lens and see what F stop I'm shooting at and like wise with focus, look down with my left eye while shooting and see where the focus is set too.
I've got a friend who bought a Canon and went to East Timor to shoot a doco, came back with boom mikes in shot - what kind of camera only allows you see only essential area in the view finder. (Apparently he can pay more for the professional viewfinder, on top of what's already the most expensive camera on the market). Then ask him about the 25F (or 24F) system in post - the only piece of kit that can replay this is the Canon camera, there are no replay decks that recognise F frame and Canon appear to have no intentions of building one.
The Panasonic HDX200, well its ergonomically like the Z1P with the added problem of P2 and doesn't shoot HD to tape. This creates a problem of limited shooting capacity (eventually will be resolved) and archiving material - the JVC shoots HDV to the DR HD100 and tape simultaneously so no archiving is necessary down the line and you have 2 identical copies of the shoot.
So this leaves the 4:2:2 (or 4:1:1) compression, only really relevant if you are doing special effects in post and then according to Adam Wilts report it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference (especially if you import the JVC pics into FCP as AIC) This may have something to do with the limited number of pixels on the Panasonic CCDs which result in the lowest actual image resolution of all cameras in this range.
I also like the true progressive scan of the JVC, for todays plasma and LCD screens its far more suitable and for conversion to film out its important. Progressive scan is also easily converted to interlace (but it's difficult to go the other way)
Finally try doing a 20 minute hand held interview with a Sony Z1P or Panasonic, your arms get really tired and then after about 15 minutes shakey. The JVC sits easily on my shoulder, just like a professional camera only lighter so I can hand hold steadily all day if I'm not allowed to use my tripod.
Apart from that I like the pics I get out this camera and they're easily manipulated to get a "look".
Well that's all I've got to say really.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #20
Major Player

How many times do people have to repeat this...."The Best" is your opinion, depending on your needs and situation.

The reason we went with the HD-110's is because to us, it looks and feels the best as a sub $10k camera. It is designed very much like a pro ENG camera, and that is what we're used to shooting on. It was a very easy and natural transition.

I would actually like to conduct a poll at some point. I'm interested in how people's past experiences and equipment usage affected their sub $10k camera purchase. Are there in fact more ENG familiar shooters going with the JVC? Are people stepping up from smaller cameras typically going to Panasonic or Sony? I wonder what people's motivations are for choosing the camera they did.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems