DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 A upgrade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/86221-hd100-upgrade.html)

Dylan Couper February 11th, 2007 12:16 PM

HD100 A upgrade

Can someone tell me what the 'A' upgrade to the HD100 is?
Thanks

Jack Walker February 11th, 2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Thanks

It is an upgrade to the original 100 cameras done by the service center to fix some problems that showed up. I don't know the details, but I think it involved a firmware upgrade in addition to an upgrade to an electronic part -- though, as I said, I don't know the details.

There are several threads on this forum about it. Essentially, it makes the camera work like it should and doesn't add anything. In practical terms, it was kind of like a "recall." Any cameras sent out by JVC after the upgrade started had the upgrade already.

Tim Dashwood February 11th, 2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Thanks

The main purpose of the "A" update was to provide full compatibility with Focus Enhancement's DR-HD100 hard drive recorder and on-screen % and "time remaining" readouts for Anton Bauer batteries. The added advantage of the update is that gives JVC an opportunity to re-calibrate the camera's image processor after the firmware is flashed. I've heard that some components may also have been replaced, depending on when and which factory originally produced the camera.
Most HD100s in Canada should by now have been upgraded to the 'A' version. You can tell by looking on the bottom, pulling back the shoulder pad, and looking for a black round sticker that says "(A)".
If you have come across a HD100 that doesn't have it, then it doesn't mean the camera won't function as expected (I used mine for 9 months before the upgrade came out) but it definitely won't have talkback capabilities with the Focus Enhancements DR-HD100.

Dylan Couper February 12th, 2007 11:13 AM

Thanks Tim and Jack
So it would follow that the "split screen" issues is completely fixed with the "A" upgrade?

Tim Holtermann February 12th, 2007 12:11 PM

It is suppose to take care of the split screen effect during normal operation and in addition to what Tim posted it also fixes a problem with how the camera functions via Firewire when using remote control (capture).

The camera use to go offline for a brief second during remote play and capture which would often make the capture software think it had died. The camera now behaves correctly.

Scott Jaco February 12th, 2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Holtermann
It is suppose to take care of the split screen effect during normal operation

Wrong!

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/special/HD100...faq.html#ques1

clicky

Tim Dashwood February 12th, 2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Jaco

You're right, the upgrade itself has nothing to do with the split screen image processing. However, the calibration procedure had improved alot by the time the A update was announced. I think JVC used the opportunity to re-calibrate all of the cameras more precisely when they were sent in for the update.

David Scattergood March 7th, 2007 06:04 AM

Sorry to drag this one back up, but as I'd been more concerned over other elements of this camera (the white balancing/exposure 'issues' I had) I haven't had chance to follow this one up.
I purchased the HD100E back in September last year and was told at the time this was a batch that had the software updates etc (not knowing what this referred to at the time - I think Germany was mentioned as to where the work had been carried out??). However, I'm not entirely convinced that this has indeed had the (A) upgrade...

There is a small black A sticker, but this is on the focus handle on the lense and not the main body; I haven't as yet checked the box (should of course I still have it). The camera also occasionally drops TC when capturing to FCP...though is it possible that when the camera was turned off during a shoot (rather than paused) this would cause the problem?
I noticed a bit of split screening also (noticeable when filming in the dark). This is more obvious (though only appears occasionally) when viewing on a large television. It's possibly a different situation for JVC in the UK rather than the states and I remember somebody mentioning you can phone JVC and they will check if the camera has been updated or not (via a couple of menu guides).
I'm only now really getting into the finer workings of this camera (once I get a large external raid I'll be working with HDV) so it'll be a shame if it isn't essentially at it's best (re-calibration for example, as tim mentions above) - and of course a little piece of mind helps so I can concentrate on actually using the cam to the best of it's abilities.
I've asked for advice from the company I bought the camera from but the questions seem to swept to one side...?
Any uk based HD100 owners who have had this routine to go through?
Many thanks.

Liam Hall March 7th, 2007 07:01 AM

David, I've had an ongoing SSE problem with my HD100. The SSE is severe at 0db, less so at 6db and unnoticeable at 18db.

JVC thought they'd cured the problem with the firmware update, but the fault clicks in 2-3 minutes after the machine is switched on - so it's easy to miss.

I'm actually going this afternoon to see the camera technician at JVC Professional and hopefully we can lay this one to rest. It's foxed them as much as me.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

Liam.

David Scattergood March 7th, 2007 07:25 AM

Thanks Liam - yes let me know the outcome.
Sorry to be a pain but I don't suppose you could let me know how you went about your original firmware upgrade in the uk?
I checked the box but there is no indication on there. All I have to go on is the little black (A) stick on the lense zoom handle and the fact that I was told these camera's had software updates carried out on them before they were sold...
We need a UK Carl Hicks on here!
Good luck.

Tim Brown March 7th, 2007 07:59 AM

David,

My "A" upgrade sticker was on the lens as well. Don't know why they decided to put it there.

-Tim

David Scattergood March 7th, 2007 08:59 AM

^^ Ah....perhaps it has had the upgrade afterall? Just remembered somebody mentioning it had to be under the shoulder next to the SN.
What's strange is that there is an indented 'circle' underneath this sticker, as if it were one day waiting for an label to be placed on there...?

Thanks Tim.
I think I'd still like to give an engineer a call to double check, and that Split Screen is still an issue.

Liam Hall March 7th, 2007 10:02 AM

Hi David,

I've just got back from JVC.

First up, if you're not getting any joy from your dealer phone JVC direct. You'll find their phone number here;

http://www.jvcproeurope.com/uk/pub/contact.html

Ask for Service Administration (I'd give you their direct dial number but I'm not sure if that is allowed on this forum) and they'll be able to tell you whether you've got the latest firmware. You'll need your serial number handy.

Second, the camera tech confirmed that all cameras of this type suffer to some degree from SSE (and that goes for Sony, Canon and Panni). But in the real world this is not a problem as it's only ever visible in low light at 18db. Probably not the best shooting conditions.

The newer HD200 series 'barely' suffer from SSE because they process colour in 14bits (4096 steps between black and white) and not 10bits (1024 steps). Thus, with more colour information it's much easier to calibrate the two halves together.

As for my camera, it gave them all a big laugh because the SSE was so bad. In fact it's the worst they'd ever seen. The good news is they can replace the offending piece of circuitry and it'll be as good as new, well better in fact.

I must also point out that the level of service from JVC has been top notch. Other manufacturers would have left me high-and-dry. So thanks to them.

Cheers,

Liam.

David Scattergood March 7th, 2007 10:49 AM

That's really good to hear Liam.
I'll try that number in the morning. I suspect my SSE isn't a fraction as bad as yours and it's barely noticeable unless in pretty dire light (and you wouldn't really do anything with the footage anyhow).
I know this camera's been taking a few hits of negativity of late (and suprisingly camera guys/gals over here wouldn't ordinarily go for JVC preferring instead Sony et al) but when it works, it works very well (and for that price....). I shot some 25p SD earlier in the week (weather's picked up eh?) and even the SD 25p is pretty special.
Given the money I'd probably stick with JVC and head the 200/250 way...but that's a long way off!

Pleased they've resolved the issue for you Liam and their customer service does sound spot on (rare in this day and age...only apple have showed great support to me of late).

Cheers.