Need Help With Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Need Help With Settings

I have a new client that wants me to shoot some HD footage for him. He has car cleaning products that he is promoting. I'll be shooting outside in sun, unless it rains and then of course we'll move the shooting date. I'd like to have some input on the settings I should be using, format settings etc. If someone can give me some tips, that would be great. So far I have had it set on True Color V3.0 Reality HDV 30P.

I'll also be using a mixer with xlr and wireless mic.

Thank you
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Lisa,

Your settings matter most when you're going for a certain look. I have not tested Paolo's TCV3 outdoors, but I have used Tim's Cine Wide to great effect. Because you are in the South as I am, you know how strong the sun is. Having some latitude to see into the shadows is very useful.

Honestly, settings are secondary to your lighting. Look into using diffusion and nets to balance those hot areas and soften the light and flags to cut unwanted spill. Be aware of your color temps and try and do some production design to add production value.

It's also helpful if you go through an entire workflow, testing a variety of settings and doing your color correction to see a facsimile of what your final output will be.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your shoot and be sure to post stills and the final product.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Lisa just read this thread and if you like it donwload the scene file from there, you won't be desapointed with this setting.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73585
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

Thank you for the info on the scene file. What program do you use to open the file? My computer is acting wacky and can't open the file.

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Lisa,

Only your camera will recognize the file. In fact before you load you have to change the file name to EXT1, EXT2, etc. Keep the .SCN file extension.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62835

You should probably read the entire sticky.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Lisa,

That's a great idea to use a scene file if you're not sure of the settings....

It's a file that works specifically on your camera, so i'm pretty sure it won't open on your computer actually.

there's some really good instructions on how get the files onto your camera here...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62835

the only thing you'll need is a SD Card reader, and your sorted!

Good luck with the shoot let's hope it doesn't rain!

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems