DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Can't capture 24p HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/86352-cant-capture-24p-hd.html)

Douglas Joseph February 12th, 2007 11:22 PM

Can't capture 24p HD

Hey, guys. I'm unable to capture footage shot in 720p hd, 24p with the jvc hd110. I have the newest version of FCP. Is there a particular capture preset I need to use? I keep getting the error that no device is detected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Steve Benner February 13th, 2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph
Hey, guys. I'm unable to capture footage shot in 720p hd, 24p with the jvc hd110. I have the newest version of FCP. Is there a particular capture preset I need to use? I keep getting the error that no device is detected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

First, make sure it is Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 not just 5.1.

Second, there is an easy Preset for 720/24P HDV. Make sure that is selected.

Third, make sure the camera is in VTR mode with the Firewire Switch in the HDV position, not DV.

Douglas Joseph February 21st, 2007 12:52 AM

I was able to capture footage, however, i'm getting dropped frames... the first i'd say... 10 seconds of each clip isn't being captured. Is this common? If anyone has a solution to this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,
-Doug Joseph

Jiri Fiala February 21st, 2007 04:16 AM

I had a weird problem with FCP 5.1.3 too... I captured HDV25p footage from my HD111 and it played FASTER (sped up a little) in FCP. Project was set to 25p, so was the footage... I don't see where this could have come from. I also have several other little quirks... I guess I won't go the FCP route (I have iMac for testing only).

Steve Benner February 21st, 2007 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala
I had a weird problem with FCP 5.1.3 too... I captured HDV25p footage from my HD111 and it played FASTER (sped up a little) in FCP. Project was set to 25p, so was the footage... I don't see where this could have come from. I also have several other little quirks... I guess I won't go the FCP route (I have iMac for testing only).

Well, if you are on a Mac, then Avid is the only other option, and they have Zero support for 24/25P from the HD100. Either way, if you can try downloading DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip (both are free). You can capture with DVHSCap, then transcode the .m2t file into any codec with MPEG Streamclip. Yes, it can be time consuming, but it will work.

Dennis Robinson February 21st, 2007 05:58 AM

Quote:

You cant blame FCP for this problem. I capture no problem so there must be something not right with the setup you have.

Jiri Fiala February 21st, 2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
You cant blame FCP for this problem. I capture no problem so there must be something not right with the setup you have.

I know I should first blame meself :o) But this iMac is clean and new, and I have absolutely no problems capturing and playing back the same footage in Premiere/Vegas/Liquid/whatever. I will probably go with Premiere with matrox rt.x2 and HP XW4400 workstation.

Dennis Robinson February 21st, 2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

I know I should first blame meself :o) But this iMac is clean and new, and I have absolutely no problems capturing and playing back the same footage in Premiere/Vegas/Liquid/whatever. I will probably go with Premiere with matrox rt.x2 and HP XW4400 workstation.

What I am saying is thousands of us use FCP and have no problems whatsoever. Sure, there is an issue with yours but think about it before you move to a virus attracting PC running Premiere or whatever.
I dont know anyone editing professionally on Premiere. All the best.

Tim Dashwood February 21st, 2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

It sounds like you captured with HDV - Apple Intermediate Codec, which will use a default frame rate of 30, even though it only captures the 25 frames per second that you shot. You can remedy this in a few seconds with Cinema Tools' "conform" function.

In the future you should use the HDV capture setting to capture native HDV 25P.

Douglas Joseph February 21st, 2007 09:10 PM

So, is there anyway at all to get FCP to stop dropping frames? The footage is 24p, 720p...