JVC HD100u pros/cons thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
however, the stock 16x lens is constructed with a plastic lens barrel surrounding the front optic. The plastic barrel also includes the filter threads. When I clamp my matte box to this plastic barrel, it distorts enough to cause the focus mechanism to bind and lock. TOTALLY cheap and unacceptable. I've since replaced the stock lens with the 17x, which is of much better quality.
This problem with the plastic lens barrel is easily overcome by screwing in a filter. The filter holds the barrel rigid for attachments.

Century makes a ring for this purpose with no glass in it. However, a UV filter, which is half the price of the Century ring, does the same job.

Last edited by Jack Walker; February 16th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
Are you planning on making the docs yourself Luke? The JVC can do whatever you want really. Just the issue with 720p.

The best thing about the z1 over the jvc for docs is that you can get away with using it in places that you couldn't use the JVC as it looks too professional!

Yes, I would probably make the docs myself, with maybe a little help. You have a good point about the "look" of the Z1U or V1U compared to the JVC. I imagine a small handheld camera would be desired for documentaries (lots of running around). People would also be less intimidated by the smaller cams.

Thanks for all of the replies,
Luke
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #18
Major Player

True, but you can also consider that carrying a professional camera opens a lot of doors (a camera of which everyone can see it's professional anyway...)

Saying that - been kicked off a historical site in Lyon (France) last summer because I had no permit to shoot there... (and I was just making some test footage for my own purposes. The park attendant wouldn't believe me)
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #19
Major Player

[QUOTE=Werner Wesp]True, but you can also consider that carrying a professional camera opens a lot of doors (a camera of which everyone can see it's professional anyway...)

Hi Werner,
I agree 100%. I get work thru the look of my JVC 111E camera. I have the matt box and battery pack on and clients always comment on the camera. I cant imagine turning up for a shoot charging the client $2000 to $5000 with a Sony Z1. Most people think it is just like the one they have at home.
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

All of you have great points about the JVC. A shoulder mounted cam is also more stable, and you can add on more accessories....hmmmm.... maybe I'll try to make it to the camera shop this weekend to actually try both cameras for myself. Thanks for all of the input.

Luke

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems