JVC HD100u pros/cons thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC HD100u pros/cons thread

Hello,
I am trying to decide what camera to purchase, and the HD100 caught my eye. I would really like to get everyones impression on the camera. It would be nice to get a list of pros/cons and general opinions on the camera from actual users. My intent for this thread is to also help others in making their decisions. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Luke,

If you read a bit through this forum you'll find many happy users, and posts touch this subject you are looking for. It all depends also what you are looking for and what you want to do with the camera. Sholdermount, Removeble lens, great package of options to expand your camera with accessiores like battery-packs, harddisk recorders etc... or if you want to buy a more simple handheld camera which costs less.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Trustee

We have 2 DVX100s the 100 and the 100A. These where the best in the SD 24P league. I do a lot of corporate work. When HD arrived, i needed a cam that not only performed well but also has the wow factor that corporate work requires. The JVC HD100 had true 24P. Its CCDs were REAL 1280 x 720. I attached my custom built 120mm lens adapter to it and the setup works. It allows so much customization. Film gamma, etc. I projected its output in a DLP equipedtheater and the result was superb. If youre doing event videography, this might not suit you. HD100 is not ideal for run and gun as compared to , lets say, the Z1.

You can see the cam with the adapter here;
http://tedramasola.9k.com/photo2.html
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Major Player

If you don't mind the fact that the HD100 and 200 series are fully manual - no autofocus or, image stablisation, etc, then you'll love this camera. Its a highly adjustable camera, with extensive menu settings available.

Its ergonomically much like a large pro shoulder mount camera, with similar switch layout, etc. The focus assist is excellent, and the ability to flip the image in the LCD/VF is a great feature when using 35mm lens adapters.

Interchangable lenses is another plus.

It really depends on the uses you plan for the camera, as said above.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Major Player

IMHO

Pros
Proper professional ergonomics
Lightweight compared to professional DVCAM and DigiBeta units
Excellent highlight handling
In general, superb image quality for the price - even with the stock lens
Expanding range of high quality optional lenses
Good build quality (except for VF)
Focus assist is useful
Uses miniDV tape to record HD up to 1hr - a huge advantage over HDX for low-budget doco filming
JVC seriously committed to these cameras - they don't have higher-end units to protect so these cams are not ham-strung like the lower cost alternatives from Sony and Panasonic
I have found JVC customer support to be honest, frank and very helpful - outstanding!

Cons
Only records HD to HDV - limitations inherent to the codec (not the camera)
VF pretty poor - sometimes difficult to focus
Severe CA on stock lens
Alarming tendency towards dead pixels (nothing will convince me this is normal or acceptable)

Here's the big one: 720p only for HD. It means serious issues for post production for HD broadcast if you happen to be working in PAL land. If you're using Avid, then you're in for a nightmare. If you're using something else then you still need to think about how you're going to deliver 1080i.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for the replies! I plan on doing short films and maybe some documentary work. I know the HD100 is a good choice for shorts, but how well suited is it for docs? Another camera I'm looking into is the Sony V1U. I would be limited to a used HD100, since I can't afford a new one.

P.S. Nice adapter Ted. I'm assuming it is a spinning GG? Did you build it yourself?

Thanks,
Luke
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Yes Luke, I made it myself with a spinning GG. Shot a commercial with it that plays inside a DLP eqiupped wide screen theater and TV.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #8
Trustee

Are you planning on making the docs yourself Luke? The JVC can do whatever you want really. Just the issue with 720p.

The best thing about the z1 over the jvc for docs is that you can get away with using it in places that you couldn't use the JVC as it looks too professional!
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

why is 720P an issue ? It's a plus surely ? it means if it has to fit into a progressive based program or you want the footage for the web etc, then it can do so and the ease with which you can export it as 1080i for an interlaced program means editing is not an issue with any NLE, delivering 1080i is NOT a problem, just rent the player for a day if you can't justify buying one and import the footage to your NLE as 1080i.

Maybe it's just me seeing it the wrong way but I have no issues at all with 720P and my 101E
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Trustee

that's the issue. You HAVE to convert to 1080i using external means. Editing 720p yourself is fine but lots of companies don't edit 720p, just 1080.

You want to know the pros and cons...here is a con!

it's a great camera and as soon as my FCP starts capturing my 720p 25 footage properly I will be very happy!!!
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #11

I'd like to add two comments.
1-I capture/convert with Cineform Connect/HDink. HDLINK gives me the option of uprezzing my 720p to 1080i and does a very nice job of it. Personally, I can't tell the difference.
2-I thoroughly enjoy my HD110, however, the stock 16x lens is constructed with a plastic lens barrel surrounding the front optic. The plastic barrel also includes the filter threads. When I clamp my matte box to this plastic barrel, it distorts enough to cause the focus mechanism to bind and lock. TOTALLY cheap and unacceptable. I've since replaced the stock lens with the 17x, which is of much better quality.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
that's the issue. You HAVE to convert to 1080i using external means. Editing 720p yourself is fine but lots of companies don't edit 720p, just 1080.

You want to know the pros and cons...here is a con!

it's a great camera and as soon as my FCP starts capturing my 720p 25 footage properly I will be very happy!!!
I capture 720p 25 in FCP5 in Australia and no problems whatsoever.
I dont even get the 4 second problem I read about on the forum.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #13
Major Player

If you're delivering for HD broadcast here in Europe (and I'm talking specifically about this), capturing 720p/25 is just the start of an unpleasant process. Yes, it can all be done, of course, but it's far from painless with most NLE set-ups for which converter boxes, plug-ins etc may be necessary and it's an important factor to consider when considering the JVC cameras against the Z1, the XDCAM models and those Pana models that shoot DVCProHD.

HDV2, XDCAM and DVCProHD at 1080 are much better catered-for by the kind of post kit usually employed for broadcast post production here in the UK.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
If you're delivering for HD broadcast here in Europe (and I'm talking specifically about this), capturing 720p/25 is just the start of an unpleasant process. Yes, it can all be done, of course, but it's far from painless with most NLE set-ups for which converter boxes, plug-ins etc may be necessary and it's an important factor to consider when considering the JVC cameras against the Z1, the XDCAM models and those Pana models that shoot DVCProHD.

HDV2, XDCAM and DVCProHD at 1080 are much better catered-for by the kind of post kit usually employed for broadcast post production here in the UK.
I dont get it. I capture 720p/25 just as easy as DV on my G5 running FCP5.
I have no idea how it happens with other NLE's.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems