Shot in HDV 720 at 30P, can I not export as DV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Shot in HDV 720 at 30P, can I not export as DV?

Can anyone tell me the trick behind the HDV/DV 1394 switch? I thought it was simply the format you wanted to export as, when connecting to your NLE or what not.

I shot a short in HDV 720P at 30P, but I want to be able to do a quick edit in DV. I thought if I set it to DV, it was as if I'd shot it in DV.

Am I wrong? How can I get this footage into my DV NLE? (PC/avi)
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

There is no automated downconversion to DV on the camera.

I would suggest cutting in native HDV if you can, and then downconvert to NTSC. Your HDV file sizes will actually be smaller than DV.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Tim, for getting back to me so fast. I really thought this camera would do that, it's one reason I chose it. I really need to read the fine print before I go to a shoot!

So, what the heck is that switch for then?
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The first time that I saw this camera it was demoed by a JVC rep. And I would swear that he told everyone that the camera had the ability to output HDV as DV on the fly. He told us that we should shoot in HDV even if we needed DV now because of this feature and then we would still have the HDV files on tape if we ever needed them.
Mike Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dunn
Thanks, Tim, for getting back to me so fast. I really thought this camera would do that, it's one reason I chose it. I really need to read the fine print before I go to a shoot!

So, what the heck is that switch for then?
Isn't that the "forbidden" switch, the one you're supposed to turn off the camera first before you turn it?
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Bingo Mike, I would swear I read that somewhere. That's one big reason I bought this camera. Does anyone know a contact at JVC who can confirm if it can be done or not?
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Major Player

The deck can convert on the fly which may be what you heard. But not out of firewire. Only the composite and the S-video.

Does the 100/110 have an S-video out? Then it will probably output HDV as standard def. I have the 200 which does not have S-video.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Downconverting HDV to DV would most likely take a great deal of processing power and raise the cost of the camera. Analog downconversion is apparently much eaiser to accomplish.

I don't understand why there needs to be a switch either. Can't the camera decide which format it's playing and switch the format internally?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Major Player

This is a very common misconception. Just to be clear:

You CANNOT downcovert HDV1 to DV via firewire with the camera or the BRHD50 deck.

No, it really isn't that difficult technically. The Sony HDV2 gear does this perfectly well.

Added to the patchy NLE native support for HDV1, this is one of this biggest let-downs of the JVC hardware, I'd say.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Major Player

It's a bit of a let down but I actually like editing in HDV (using the apple intermediate codec) since all my effects & crossfades will be in HD. I feel this preserves more quality before downconverting for DVD. Just my opinion.

Final Cut Pro seems to support this camera quite well, they finally released the 24p mode a few months back which makes it fully native.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
It's a bit of a let down but I actually like editing in HDV (using the apple intermediate codec) since all my effects & crossfades will be in HD. I feel this preserves more quality before downconverting for DVD. Just my opinion.

Final Cut Pro seems to support this camera quite well, they finally released the 24p mode a few months back which makes it fully native.
yeah but people are still having problems with the fcp 24p in hdv aren't they?

I'm still running 5.04 even though I own the 5.1.x install cds, just too paranoid to take the plunge yet.

But I do like editing in native HDV 30P. I've done a lot of projects that went very well, except for the occasional drop outs on tape and this was with jvcprohd tapes.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems