"Tha Sandman" Music video Shot with hd100 M2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Tha Sandman" Music video Shot with hd100 M2

Here's the first thing I ever shoot with my hd100 and M2 setup. The artist is called Sandman and is from sweden. It was a real lowbudget shoot (300$) . The video is shoot/lit by me edited by my friend. I did all the postwork and effects. Please comment if you like.

Hopefully I'll have some more videos to show you when I get permission from the artists I've worked with.

this a wmw file it will be up for 14days
http://download.yousendit.com/DD53C0052ECCA2ED
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Trustee

I thought is was good with only one shot that you should really consider killing - the demon shot. it was hokey for a serious dark video. some of the storyline shots of the girls attacking the other girl were also dark. could of used some edgelighting to just hit the edges of the figures to give them shape, and fill the darker areas a little. otherwise a very nice job. nice to see something that was not overcut.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM   #3
Major Player

It's tough for me to sit through an entire rap music video, rap's just not my thing but the video was well done regardless and deserves some knuckle. Good job.

I did watch all of it, and that alone says something. At $300 the artist got far more than he paid for. You can tell when someone puts there heart and mind into something, even more so when it's not about the paper, the video was a perfect example of that. Excellent work for the sake of it and a little more.

It does however need a better open/title. Even a simple MTV styled lower third with the artist, director, etc. would have given it the class it deserves. It may be simple, but has more class if you understand where I'm coming from. And last, the lip sync needs to tighten up some on the timeline, it's drifts too far and too often. For such a simple thing to fix, it would improve things in a big way.

Those are just my thoughts, regardless I applaud your combined talents, putting yourself out there, and for sharing.

Peace
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I really enjoyed that.

I posted my own video a couple of days back shot with HD110e, and it just shows the difference that M2 extra can make to the overall look. It's just a HUGE upgrade from the standard lens.

Makes me want to go back to the drawing board, seeing this video compared to mine!

I'm starting to understand how to light for HD a lot more, i tend to get into a lot of happy accidents, with is good, but shouldn't rely on it. You've seemed to done very well with yours, apart from the obvious dark shots, but that might be a compression thing?

Seriously, congratulations, that looks awesome.

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your feedback guys. Most of the comments you´ve given were sorry to say about budget restrictions. The dark part were the girl gets taunted were dark because we lost our light and we didn't have time to finish it in time (with enough light and I wouldn´t say no to some beautiful golden rimlight and/or separation from the background). Since I did everything behind the camera including lighting I didn't have a chance to bring my reflector to lift the girls in the foreground.
I had to gain the camera +3db so this was the best compromise I could arrange between grain, noise and quality. The sync was another problem due to budgetary reasons. I had a rather clunky pipeline exporting back and forth between aftereffects. I think its acceptable up to the point just before the young man steals beer. We knew about the drift but had to accept it since it would have prolonged the production two days more (with all the rendering) So we choose to accept it (I'm telling you all this not to state the obvius but to give those who are new to this the perspective that you have to know when to stop. I mean the guy gave me 300$).
About the introtext it was the artists request. I could have made a introtext mtv-style but i thought of this as an unofficial way to show you some material I've shot. I understand how that can come of as sloppy

Thank you for the nice comment Neil
To be fair I've shot a lot of stuff before that video so there were not that many happy accidents in the video (more of the unhappy sort that I've commented above) So maybe it's not fair to compare them if you're new to this. I have done a lot of stuff with and without the M2. Surely the M2 does its thing but I think lighting and grading do their fair share to the material. I hope to upload some material from a short movie I did where I've graded the material and its without the M2. You'll se that even this small (well not that small after all :) feat goes a long way.
I watched your video and I really liked it. I thought your idea was interesting and it had a nice pace. I think just by grading it a little more aggresively (meaning working with it more not applying some extreme look) together with you going back with the experience you gained making it would have made it 200% better.(I know this isn't possible just wanted to illustrate how a little can take you a long way :)
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Ha, no worries Teodor, I see far worse drift on BET, MTV and VH1 every day. Your quality to cost ratio spoke volumes, you do good work. As mentioned, he got the video pretty much free at $300. In fact, at that price it hurts no less to pay the customer $300 and do the video too. ;)

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Nice work, Teodor. Looks very nice and is cut naturally.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Tourist

M2 adaptor with what lens

great video. i was curious as to what lens(es) you used for this video. i really like the color grading and feel of the entire video. any more videos coming ur way soon?
Khamseng Varipath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems