Forum Newbie; Video Vet - HD200u? Should I? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler
- but man, mashing that quick-auto button on the side of the lens - I know (at this moment) that I'll miss that...

You wont, you know. You will find you can focus a lot faster and true with the manual lens on the JVC than the auto will work on the Canon. Once again, try a manual lens and see. Even on manual, it is very difficult to focus the Canon and it hunts all the time.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
You wont, you know. You will find you can focus a lot faster and true with the manual lens on the JVC than the auto will work on the Canon. Once again, try a manual lens and see. Even on manual, it is very difficult to focus the Canon and it hunts all the time.
I completely agree. The servo-only lens on the XL was lethargic and nearly impossible to 'feel'. With a manual, and experience, you will get pretty snappy with focus from instinctual mental rangefinding. In other words, you'll eventually learn to focus without visual aid. Autofocus is great, but not when you cannot switch to true manual.

As for IS, it's not always beneficial and can really screw up a non-tripod shot by inducing unnatural frame movements. When it becomes cheaper and easier, and finely adjustable, then I'll take a look at it.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Don't forget that the HD has focus assist which works great. The color levels are very different between the HD and XL series, so you'll probably want to make some adjustments on the HD depending on what you shoot. I have both camera's (XL1), and shoot mostly outdoors & scenics, but plan to step into 60p for sports. Once you get use to the JVC, it's easier to use than you might think. If you're concerned about stabilization like I am, buy Apple's Shake for motion smoothing. It's easy to use and the quality is amazing. What sort of projects do you plan to do?
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Jeffrey,

I moved from the xl1s to the hd100 just this month so I know where your coming from. I liked the H1 but didn't have the budget so I was looking at the A1. But the more I looked the more I really hated to go back to a bread loaf camera as my main unit (fine for a second or third mind you). Don Bloom called one day and there was a good price on a HD100 here in the classifieds. I went ahead and got the 100.

I can tell you this right now, you won't regret making the move over. The jvc is so much more balanced than the xl series. It's still light compared to a full 2/3" camera, but with some batteries and a wireless on the back it helps out. You won't miss the os or the push to focus. Once you start shooting with a true eng camera like this your left hand is always on the focus ring and never leaves it and the focus is much more precise than the canon. You can now zoom and focus at the same time. And people complain about the viewfinder but it's many times better than the xl1s viewfinder.

It will take some time to learn the in's and out's of the camera's image control, but as far as picking up the camera and shooting with it you'll have that down in no time. It's really a great shooters rig. That means that once you get into it and start shooting, you don't even think about what your doing. Your attention is on your shot, where it should be, not on what your camera is doing or how you can make the camera work.

Also, I've always preferred canons image tone to other brands. The jvc is very customizable and I've been able to work the image to something that's pretty close to a canon look. And this camera has much better image latitude than the xl1s.

Hope you make the move over.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #20
New Boot

HI,

Newbie here with maybe some dumb questions. I hope you don't end up rolling your eyes too much. I have a intro on the "in your neighborhood"
thread.

I would like to get the GYHD 200 but because of lack of sufficient funds I might have to settle for The HD110. I want to get into independent film making.

In terms for transferring to film will 1080p produce a better print than 720p?
I know the JVC models I mentioned don't record in 1080p but Will this be an issue in terms of resolution?

Is the need for a diffusion filter greater for HD shooting?
- Or is it about the same?

I have a flat panel monitor that can display at a res of 1280/1024 at 32
resolution (maxed), Is this a usable monitor for editing HUD footage?
(assuming I use the HUD 200 or HUD 110 )

Any other info you can throw my way would be appreciated?
Robert Thomas Baumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Would you if you could - the H1?

Ben - thanks. Good to hear. I am heading that way for sure. I'm curious, though - you mentioned you didn't have the budget for the H1. Let's pretend I do for the moment...even still, I don't think the issues we're kinda complaining about here (lens/view finder; general loaf) are addressed with the H1.

Just for the record - if you could have afforded it, would you have gotten the H1 instead of the JVC? I know the 200u isn't that much cheaper...the 110 is down b/c of the 200's, but I'm at the point where I just don't want more of the same...even with the love I've got the for XL-1...I'm ready for a "pro" camera...or at least the best "'pro' I can go."
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #22
Major Player

Jeffrey,

It's hard to say what I would have done if I had had the money for either camera. I had used an H1 before buying a camera but not the jvc. Now that I have a jvc and have used both I would say the jvc is the better shooters camera.

The H1 has a sharper image than the jvc with a stock lens. It shoots 1080i which is the most common format. That also means you can buy a cheap camcorder to use as a tape deck. It's also familiar to you from the xl1s. Technically I think it's the better camera. But the H1 still has no true manual hd lens, still uses servo motors on the lens, and has the same form as the xl1.

The jvc on the other hand shoots 720p so there's no cheap camcorder to go with it. For normal eng or corporate I doubt that most people find anything wrong with the stock lens. I've used a lot of lenses and the jvc lens works. Not the best but it works.

When I was looking at cameras I tried to consider all the aspects. For me it came down to which camera is the best camera to shoot with.

When I shoot with the xl series I feel like I'm using a great prosumer camera. Great picture, but plastic body and a plastic feel to it. When I shoot with the jvc I feel like I'm using a broadcast camera. Solid build, on camera switches for all major camera functions, and a good balance.

Now that I have the jvc I would say that no doubt this was the best path for me to take. This is the best camera under 10K for shooting. The camera makes no compromise when it comes to acquiring the footage. Every part of the camera feels solid, not soft, and it's the best tool for capturing material. I've also found that mixing 720 and 1080 really isn't an issue. I'm using vegas so the formats go together on the timeline without a hitch.

The H1 has the best numbers on paper, but in the real world the jvc is the best shooters camera. If I had a chance to change this camera with an H1 at no cost I would keep this camera.

Hope that helps.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
The H1 has the best numbers on paper, but in the real world the jvc is the best shooters camera. If I had a chance to change this camera with an H1 at no cost I would keep this camera.

Hope that helps.
Ben, that's just the kinda of stuff I need to hear, particularly the vein of "when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers" =)

I'm looking forward to having more than one camera - but until then - I think my confidence level is much higher about the JVC; i.e. high enough to purchase.

I have a dinky palm-corder HC-3 (which shoots nice HDV video, btw), so when space is a consideration or more adventure style camera work is needed (the kind where you have to hang on to something else as much as the camera) then I've got some secondary options.

Thanks for your time...really.

Jeff

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems