DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Forum Newbie; Video Vet - HD200u? Should I? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87181-forum-newbie-video-vet-hd200u-should-i.html)

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 09:02 PM

Forum Newbie; Video Vet - HD200u? Should I?

Greetings! I just posted an official hello in the Neighborhood thread, but I wanted to dive right in here with the big fish...

I'm contemplating a JVC HD200. I first shot on 3/4 ENG style, so I'm fairly comfortable with ENG style cameras, but I have been shooting on an XL-1s for the last 5/6 years. I've gotten some decent stuff with it (I think).

I need some feedback on two things, and would love it if you guys could pitch in and set me straight.

One: While my site isn't officially turned on at the moment (new update waiting in the wings) I would love some comments and feedback regarding these 3 short "trailers." They are located here (click "View Trailers."

Two: I'm worried I won't be able to shoot with this camera! I mean, I can step up and gleefully lose the Canon's view finder (resolution? what resolution!?). I will embrace the on the shoulder (ENG) style with a glad heart. I can't wait to not wrap headphones around me and my gear. And I can't wait to use a $400 battery (ha-ha). But...and seriously - I'm afraid my video will suddenly be out-of-focus and crazy bad compared to how "simple" I've been able to acquire "decent" video in the past....

Am I nutz? Should I just stick to the A1/H1 and pretend I'm a pro? :-) I really hate 2 things about the Canon, and just deal with a 3rd. One - you can't zoom in and focus as the same time...there's this weird lens hiccup that happens on a zoom for me - w/ multiple lenses (might not be describing it right). Two - the view finder is a joke. And the Third is just how it hurts to hold the bloody thing out in front of me...(b/c there's no really shoulder mount). Oh, alright, fourth: hate the hack (MA200) to get XLR audio in. Fifth, I don't care for the incredibly noisy camera sounds on mic (even with the system isolator, etc) (hello? I can HEAR the zoom!?).

Anyway - it's great to be here - I don't feel so alone anymore...and I'm grateful for any/all who have a few moments to spare on me...

Thanks,

Jeff

----
Jeffrey Butler
Cabin One Productions
www.cabinone.com

Nick Boxler February 21st, 2007 09:28 PM

i'm dumb

and i can't even figure out how to post a new thread, help me out? eh?

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 10:01 PM

vBulletin is good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Boxler
help me out? eh?

A fellow Tourist! Remember to check the "remember me" button when you log in (right?) That will keep things from timing out...the basics are, create or reply. Clicking Quote will copy the current post, after which you can trim it down...

Here's a link to the manual.

Jeff

Don Bloom February 21st, 2007 10:18 PM

Well about all I can say is trust your instincts.
If you're tire of the breadloaf cameras and want to step up and are willing to WORK at it a bit you can get very used to the camera very quickly. That means spending time going thru the manual, time spent just playing with the camera, trying different things looking at the tape on your editing machine, listening to the audio trying different settings, getting to know where the controls are without looking so you can think about composition and lighting and exposure not where the controls are. Learn how to back focus correctly, how to use something other than automatic features that are offered on many if not most cams today and be willing to make mistakes and learn from them. I have not tried the 200 but have tried the 100 when it first came out and it is a great camera. It was easy for me but I was brought up in the business on full size cameras, still use them today even though I have a VX1000 and a PD150 (had 2 at one time).
You have to choose which camera will work best for you-as sexy as the JVC200 is maybe it's not what will do the best job for you. As for "pretending to be a pro" it has absolutely nothing to do with the gear you use (although it can help) it's a state of mind and what your minds eye sees (among other things)
I know I said to get what you feel is best for the work you plan on doing but it sounds to me like you have a JVC-HD200 in your future :-)
Welcome to the best video forum on the net.

Don

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 10:38 PM

Breadloaf!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
If you're tire of the breadloaf cameras...

LOL! I am. I really, really am.

Quote:

...willing to WORK at it a bit you can get very used to the camera very quickly....

Now that's good news. I suspected as much. I'm confident (and willing), just a bit edgy about it.

Quote:

...the JVC200 is maybe it's not what will do the best job for you.

It might not be. One of the things about the XL-1s was that at times, it was just too big. But my guess is that a Sony HC-3 palmcorder or the like will fill out the "interior car footage" for a reality/doc.

Quote:

As for "pretending to be a pro" it has absolutely nothing to do with the gear you use (although it can help)...

Yeah, I meant that more like...ah, I dunno what I meant. Perhaps play pro with a breadloaf...but seriously, you're right - breadloaf or CineAlta...both can suck.

Quote:

Welcome to the best video forum on the net.

I am quickly reaching that that conclusion...

Jeff

Dennis Robinson February 21st, 2007 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=Jeffrey Butler]. And I can't wait to use a $400 battery (ha-ha). But...and seriously - I'm afraid my video will suddenly be out-of-focus and crazy bad compared to how "simple" I've been able to acquire "decent" video in the past....

I have had an XL1s for 3 years and the one thing you will really love with the JVC is the manual lens. Focus and it stays focussed. The vision is a huge step up from the Canons as well and I shoot for TV commercials so that is important for me. I do miss the image stabalization though. The Canon was great for that plus the JVC shoots 16.9.

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 11:22 PM

hOlD tHAt tHinG sTeAdy, aLreAdy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
I do miss the image stabalization though. The Canon was great for that plus the JVC shoots 16.9.

Yeah, I realized that wasn't there either not long ago. I think I'm horrified. Comparing focus and optical stabilization, I can live with manual focus, but dang - I don't know what I'm going to do without IS...! LOL. Is my shoulder THAT much better? *gack.

I can think of 20 shots off the top of my head that would have been (much more) useless w/o Canon's IS. I suppose if that's the worst, I can deal with it. *sigh...

Dennis Robinson February 21st, 2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler
Yeah, I realized that wasn't there either not long ago. I think I'm horrified. Comparing focus and optical stabilization, I can live with manual focus, but dang - I don't know what I'm going to do without IS...! LOL. Is my shoulder THAT much better? *gack.

I can think of 20 shots off the top of my head that would have been (much more) useless w/o Canon's IS. I suppose if that's the worst, I can deal with it. *sigh...

Sorry Jeff, but you will forget about IS and as far as the manual focus, you will love it. Imagine.... no more hunting from the Canon lens... In most cases you wont miss the IS either as the camera is balanced quite well on the shoulder and I have the extra battery pack to add the weight. I use a tripod anyway so that doesnt matter. I used to use the IS when shooting from a moving car etc and that is the only place I miss it.

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Sorry Jeff, but you will forget about IS and as far as the manual focus, you will love it. ... I use a tripod anyway so that doesnt matter. I used to use the IS when shooting from a moving car etc and that is the only place I miss it.

I do find myself hanging out of some strange places...usually moving. I shoot most of my stuff on the go and outside...so while I'm very close to going with it, I can't help but feel the nag that I could get 2 A1's for the price of 1 HD200. But I bet after a few months, if I can't reconcile a few things someone here would be happy to take it off my hand$. =)

I'm hoping the "pro" requirements this camera puts on me, actually (if properly dealt with) will make me a better shooter.

Eric Gulbransen February 21st, 2007 11:45 PM

Alright I'll say it Jeffrey, I really like your videos. And I also like the way you present them. Nice work.

You'll learn a lot here. And that's good, because lord knows if you're about to get into HD, there's a lot to learn. In fact looking back at my move from an XL2 to this HD200, I'm always reminded of the day I decided to poke a bee hive with a stick when I was a kid. What a mess that was at first, but in the end, there was the honey.

And this 200 is just as sweet. You'll do without IS and auto focus. No worries.

Good luck

Dennis Robinson February 21st, 2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

I
I'm hoping the "pro" requirements this camera puts on me, actually (if properly dealt with) will make me a better shooter.

Jeffrey,
You do need to understand that you will need to learn how to use a camera like this. If you just want to run and gun then it will be tough for you. I am finding the whole HDV thing too difficult at the moment as it is a huge step up. I shoot for a living and its important that I learn how to get the footage i want. You will have to work at it. If it does worry you then you may be better off with an auto camera.

Jeffrey Butler February 21st, 2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

You do need to understand that you will need to learn how to use a camera like this

I do. I really do - but this is what's baking my brain at the moment. It's just an unknown. I know I could pick up the Canon H1 and go shoot an event w/o screwing it up. I don't have that confidence with the JVC. I could do it...it's just there really is no option to toss the lens on auto.... =) Kinda like driving a stick instead of automatic....it would be cool to have a car that was both.

Jeffrey Butler February 22nd, 2007 12:03 AM

Complex Molecules, that Honey has...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen
...I'm always reminded of the day I decided to poke a bee hive with a stick when I was a kid. What a mess that was at first, but in the end, there was the honey.

And this 200 is just as sweet. You'll do without IS and auto focus. No worries.

Eric - thanks for the words - I love the analogy. You make me feel better about poking the bees...I know I'm not allergic to bee stings, so pressing on (back) into the manual world won't kill me. It may hurt a few times, but I'm so over the sloppy Canon lens and viewfinder, that I'm up for a little buzzing!

Thanks - I really appreciate the feedback.

Jeff

Dennis Robinson February 22nd, 2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

..it's just there really is no option to toss the lens on auto.... =) Kinda like driving a stick instead of automatic....it would be cool to have a car that was both.

You miss the point. With the JVC, you focus and forget about the hunting that the Canon delivers. I can not use my Canon at all because of the lack of faith i have in it keeping focus. The auto focus is so slow too. Try a manual lense camera and see!

Jeffrey Butler February 22nd, 2007 12:10 AM

Push-button Auto

I've actually shot most of what I've got on manual focus - but it's the auto quick-mash button that really helps. I guess I never made that point...no, I hate autofocus - wouldn't ever consider leaving it on during a shoot (well, almost never) - but man, mashing that quick-auto button on the side of the lens - I know (at this moment) that I'll miss that...