DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Shopping Cart Feedback! JVC-GYHD200 ++ (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87295-shopping-cart-feedback-jvc-gyhd200.html)

Jeffrey Butler February 22nd, 2007 06:19 PM

Shopping Cart Feedback! JVC-GYHD200 ++

Ok - this may be a bit unconventional, but I'd like to post my shopping cart to solicit feedback from the HDV crew - particularly those who own/use the HD200u.

Here's an image of the cart.

I'm looking for improvements, deletions, additions...etc. The DR-HD100 does NOT record 720/60p (bummer), but I suspect it will be valuable nonetheless.

That does bring up a question: What's the difference at 100% speed between 30p and 60p? I would expect there to be one with slo-mo, but not at much 100...?

Anyway - spend my money wisely! *grin....

Robert M Wright February 23rd, 2007 08:43 AM

I'd suggest better quality filters. B+W, or (on a budget) Hoya Super Multi Coated.

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 09:42 AM

Frosted the Filterman vs. Frosty the Filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I'd suggest better quality filters. B+W, or (on a budget) Hoya Super Multi Coated.

Better filters it is, then. I will look into some general kits of those brands. I have a few filter follow-ups if I may, though.

So specifically: a Polarizer (linear?) and protection; something to keep the dust out; something for camels to spit on...but really - what else for a general kit?

I honestly don't think I want some of these diffusers, and I hardly have a head knowledge large enough to carry around 5 different grades of ND filters - most of what I shoot is event-style - happens quick. You miss it, it's gone. So unless I can know that on camera filtering is superior, I'm more inclined to post it. Perhaps it's experience, but I'm almost always shooting w/o a grip or PA, too.

SO another way to ask that: Which is better - getting the right filter on the glass - or getting the right filter on the footage (after the fact)? With the power of certain filters, Look Suite MB in particular, is it better to shoot interviews/portrait stuff clean so you can do whatever later - or is the official answer - you need to know what you're doing and which filter to apply, and apply it - correctly, each time, while you're shooting? :=)

Jeff

Robert M Wright February 23rd, 2007 10:10 AM

People can get rowdy sometimes. I once had somebody throw food at the camera while I was shooting (he thought he was being funny I guess, but the humor was lost on me), so for events, especially where alcohol is being served, I'd suggest having a UV filter in front of the lens for protection.

A polarizer and ND filters can be very useful for outdoor shooting. Use a circular polarizer with digital cameras.

For the most part, I don't see much use for special filters, like diffusers or color filters. You can pretty much achieve those effects in post.

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

...I'd suggest having a UV filter in front of the lens for protection.

Agreed! I would never feel right shooting w/o one.

Quote:

For the most part, I don't see much use for special filters, like diffusers or color filters. You can pretty much achieve those effects in post.

That's my theory as well - but that does tend to negate the $4,000 matte boxes...and while they sure "looks cool" it's over my head (for now).

Thanks - Jeff

Liam Hall February 23rd, 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler
What's the difference at 100% speed between 30p and 60p?

Do you mean literally?

If so,

60p = 60 frames per second.
30p = 30 frames per second.

So the difference is 30p. What do I win?

Seriously, do a search, there's lots of good info on 60p on this site.

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 11:17 AM

When 60 - 30 doesn't = 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall
So the difference is 30p. What do I win?

My undying gratitude...?

LOL. I mean visually - not literally. There are more frames per second - but I'm wondering what the distilled, practical results are. By the time this get hammered into a 4:3 DVD for use at home (wide aspect) - what's the difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall
Seriously, do a search, there's lots of good info on 60p on this site.

I will - and I won't tie up this thread discussing what's already out there -
I think I'm asking only to determine whether to, as standard op, shoot 720/30p or 60p - why wouldn't I always shoot 60p? I mean, there's going to be a conversion somewhere at some point - should I favor 30p in the camera so I don't have to render it down later? Should I just shoot at 60p b/c it's "better" and deal with conversion at a later time...but that's more what I meant. Lemme search a bit more here.

It's incredible the amount of information here. I'm sorry for not looking before asking - there's just a lot of little questions stitched up in actually plunking down 15k =)

Robert M Wright February 23rd, 2007 11:23 AM

Visually, 60p gives you much smoother motion than 30p (not a film-like judder).

Jack Walker February 23rd, 2007 11:24 AM

I believe HD200 comes with an Anton Bauer battery plate built in.

The plate have have selected is for the HD100/110.

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 11:33 AM

The $ound of $aving

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker
I believe HD200 comes with an Anton Bauer battery plate built in.

Yeah - there are some items (like PortaBrace stuff) that mention the HD100/110 - so I assume HD200 - I know, be careful...but the light I added requires a Gold Plate to plug into for power
Quote:

Originally Posted by B&H
Power Tap Connector

A 20" cable is hard-wired from the UL2-20 to a two-pin PowerTap connector. PowerTap receptacles can be found on all Anton Bauer Gold Mount quick-change battery mounts.

So that's why it's in there....but removing it would pay for the upgrade in filters! Seriously - that's beautiful. I'll check into it - and thanks!

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 11:39 AM

Disk Recorder

Quote:

Visually, 60p gives you much smoother motion than 30p (not a film-like judder).

The question, while a daily work flow one, originates with the Firestore DR-HD100 and it's inability to record 60p. SO if I want to be able to use the footage right away, it would have to be 30p. SO what if I just shot everything 30p in the first place? That's why the original question, but I'm more inclined now to remove the DR-HD100 and wait until 1) I just have to have and 2) it captures 60p.

Because 60p has, well, twice as many frames per second. Who wouldn't want that?

Thanks - Jeff

Robert M Wright February 23rd, 2007 12:01 PM

I don't know why the DR-HD100 wouldn't be able to record at 60p. As far as I know, it's simply recording the MPEG2 data stream coming from the firewire port.

Jaadgy Akanni February 23rd, 2007 03:21 PM

Also remember that the DR-HD100 has no 24/25P QT support for the HD200 yet. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, the HD200 already comes with the Gold Mount adapter built in, and like all Anton Bauer Gold mounts, it comes with the powertap receptacle. I made the mistake of buying the AB Adapter for the HD100U thinking I would need it on the HD200 , but once I realized my mistake I decided to swap it for a Porta Brace carry bag (which is perfect for this camera) and paid the difference. .

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

I don't know why the DR-HD100 wouldn't be able to record at 60p.

I don't know why either, but their Tech Support says "No."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Support
On Feb 22, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Support wrote:
The only current firestore that records "720/60p" is the "FS-100. But this unit is not compatible with JVC --DV or HD-- cameras. Other firestore models do not support this mode.

Justin Ferar February 23rd, 2007 04:29 PM

When they say that it doesn't support 720p60 does that mean that it just doesn't put the quicktime wrapper on it?

I was under the impression that it would still record an M2T file at 720p60.