DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Power Requirements for HD200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87367-power-requirements-hd200.html)

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 01:07 PM

Power Requirements for HD200

I'm trying to make sure I order the correct accessories for power for the HD200. I need AC & battery. I'm also adding a Sun Gun to the order, and it will pig-tail to a Gold Mount Plate. But will it pig-tail to the one that comes with the JVC? And, actually, does one come with the JVC?

This is what I think I need:
Anton Bauer
UL2-20 Ultralight-2 On-Camera Light, 20" PowerTap Cable
MFR #UL220 • B&H #ANUL220

Anton Bauer
TITAN-70 On-Camera AC Adapter and Single Position Battery Charger
MFR #TANDEM70 • B&H #ANT70

Anton Bauer
DIONIC 90 Lithium-Ion Battery with 14.4V/90 WH
MFR #DIONIC90 • B&H #AND90

Anton Bauer
QR-JVC714HDV Gold Mount Plate - for JVC GYHD-100 HDV Camcorder
MFR #QRJVC714HDV • B&H #ANQRJVC714HD

Thanks - Jeff

Justin Ferar February 23rd, 2007 01:24 PM

Jeff,

You don't need the Gold mpunt plate- the 200 already has an AB plate with a power tap, unless your in Europe where it may be IDX.

Everything else is correct.

Have you considered the SWIT S2000 instead of the Ultralight? It's LED at 5600K and has a flip down filter for 3200K. Cost is $300 US. The power saving is amazing. I can run the camera and light for hours with the dionic 90.

I'm happy with it and it just got reviewed in DV mag.

Brian Ladue February 23rd, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar
Jeff,

You don't need the Gold mpunt plate- the 200 already has an AB plate with a power tap, unless your in Europe where it may be IDX.

Everything else is correct.

Have you considered the SWIT S2000 instead of the Ultralight? It's LED at 5600K and has a flip down filter for 3200K. Cost is $300 US. The power saving is amazing. I can run the camera and light for hours with the dionic 90.

I'm happy with it and it just got reviewed in DV mag.

Where did you find the SWIT S2000?

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

You don't need the Gold mpunt plate- the 200 already has an AB plate with a power tap

Sweet. That's good savings.

Quote:

Have you considered the SWIT S2000 instead of the Ultralight?

No, but I will. I'm not sure which light to get, actually. I just want it soft...which a soft box should take care of.

Is this this one you mean? Yeah...LED stuff - hadn't really thought of doing that. But for as much use as it WON'T get used, it's probably just the thing...

Oh, here's the review.

Justin Ferar February 23rd, 2007 02:40 PM

Yeah, that's the one.

Varizoom is part of Swit or vice versa. I just looked at mine and it says Swit on it- though the literature is Varizoom.

Got mine at B&H. If you prefer you can get one with a separate battery system though I don't know why you would do that if you have an HD200/250.

Jeffrey Butler February 23rd, 2007 02:46 PM

Power?

I was worried about the power mount. It seems I don't need to be, but the DV.com review didn't mention it:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varizoom's Website
The S-2000 includes a d-tap plug to power the light from a professional battery. All VariZoom battery plates are equipped with the d-tap. Call VariZoom for more details!

I think it's worth a shot...

Jeff

Jeffrey Butler April 9th, 2007 08:26 AM

Hijacked - now Anton Bauer vs. IDX

The thread title remains valid, but I'm looking for a discussion on the pro/cons for IDX vs or in light of Anton Bauer. I really don't know where to begin...

IDX is cheaper.
IDX appears to have similar run times.
IDX may be lighter because of lower default wattage - a popular one being the EVs7 (70 watt)

But how about in the long run - which will last longer, and finally why should I go Anton Bauer (my tendency)?

Sean says saving 700 bucks is a good thing. I'm tempted to concur. That savings is Countrymen B6 upgrade to the wireless mics I'm getting...

Carl Martin April 9th, 2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 656638)
The thread title remains valid, but I'm looking for a discussion on the pro/cons for IDX vs or in light of Anton Bauer. I really don't know where to begin...

IDX is cheaper.
IDX appears to have similar run times.
IDX may be lighter because of lower default wattage - a popular one being the EVs7 (70 watt)

But how about in the long run - which will last longer, and finally why should I go Anton Bauer (my tendency)?

Sean says saving 700 bucks is a good thing. I'm tempted to concur. That savings is Countrymen B6 upgrade to the wireless mics I'm getting...

Have you considered the Frezzi sun-gun? I use the one with the dimmer, and the bulbs, 10, 20 30, and 50 watt seem to be more universal then the Swit S2000 lamps. Also I use Hytron 50's and the Frezzi, and the power consumption is minimal. Just another option to consider.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Jeffrey Butler April 9th, 2007 12:39 PM

I would...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Martin (Post 656652)
Have you considered the Frezzi sun-gun?

That's a nice light. I would use it.

I just converted one of my mag lite mini's to an LED tip and think it's pretty great. I really have little experience with an LED video application, however. Part of me says if it was that great, everyone would pile on and say GET AN LED LIGHT!! - not send more sungun links (for which I'm greatful, btw). So....I'll have to make up my mind here shortly. I have little concern w/ the Fressi - and then the AB batteries. I suppose I'd only save on the batteries....the LED lights seem about the same price.

Don Bloom April 9th, 2007 03:43 PM

OK I'm a dyed in the wool AB guy so I am somewhat biased but here goes.
The AB Dionic 90s do 90W so you obviously get more runtime than the IDX70W. However the bigger issue in my mind is charging. An Anton Bauer Intellicharger is way more than just a charger. It conditions the batterys while it charges the IDX charger to the best of my knowledge does not. The weigh issue is virtually non exsistant as they both weigh just about the same. Remember I'm talking about the AB Dionic 90s-they weigh in at 1.7 pounds each the IDX7S at 1.21 pounds each. Now while that is 1/2 pound and may seem like a lot here's what I found on the HD100A-with the IDX batterys it is somewhat front heavy - and the way I get around that is to use 2 small strips of industrial strenght velcro on the backs of 2 IDX7S batterys and velcro them together back to back to add the additonal weight that I feel I want to the camera. It also gives me an extra battery right there in case I need to switch ASAP. HOWEVER when I have my wireless receiver on the HD100 I can do away with the extra battery as the bracket and receiver give me the added weight.
I understand the ABs are more costly but since I use other cameras AB is the system that will work on any of them and again I love the intellicharger that conditions the batterys to insure longer cell life. I've had my AB system for about 3 years and haven't had any problems with bad cells which I say is due to the charger AND the fact that my batterys are numbered and I rotate the useage of them - I start with #1 go thru what I need to do the job. The next job regardless if its the next day or next week I start with #2 and rotate thru them, I then start with #3 etc etc. (this was suggested by a rep at AB and makes perfect sense to me).
Anyway there is absolutely nothing wrong with the IDX system it's just my choice for all but the HD100 is AB. (The 100 isn't mine anyway and the person that does own it got it with the IDX system so no choice there) but I do love my ABs.;-)
Don

Carl Martin April 9th, 2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 656817)
That's a nice light. I would use it.

I just converted one of my mag lite mini's to an LED tip and think it's pretty great. I really have little experience with an LED video application, however. Part of me says if it was that great, everyone would pile on and say GET AN LED LIGHT!! - not send more sungun links (for which I'm greatful, btw). So....I'll have to make up my mind here shortly. I have little concern w/ the Fressi - and then the AB batteries. I suppose I'd only save on the batteries....the LED lights seem about the same price.

I understand. Just so you know, you can get Frezzi lights a lot cheaper, I just sent the one I use. If you could swing it, I would get the AB batt system. I have used them for the past 18 years, and never had a problem. The CS at AB is great too. I know that they are a lot more in cost, but you will in my opinion, never have a problem. I have heard a lot of horror stories about IDX, I have never used them, but based on what I have been told they are just an ok battery.

Either way, good luck.

Jeffrey Butler April 10th, 2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 656946)
I start with #1 go thru what I need to do the job. The next job regardless if its the next day or next week I start with #2 and rotate thru them, I then start with #3 etc etc. (this was suggested by a rep at AB and makes perfect sense to me).

And now it makes sense to me, too! That's a good suggestion. I can only swing two batteries at the moment, and the Titan 70. I'm not sure how intelligent that is. But it will let me run the camera off AC, which is good. I'll get around to a real charger at some point. I have a few other things to get in there first.

Jeffrey Butler April 10th, 2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Martin (Post 656973)
I understand. Just so you know, you can get Frezzi lights a lot cheaper, I just sent the one I use. If you could swing it, I would get the AB batt system.

Thanks, Carl. I am moving forward with the AB system, but going with the Varizoom for now - if I wind up hating it, I'll "fall back" to the Frezzi.

Carl Martin April 10th, 2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 657469)
Thanks, Carl. I am moving forward with the AB system, but going with the Varizoom for now - if I wind up hating it, I'll "fall back" to the Frezzi.

I don't think you'll hate the Varizoom, I'm sure it's a nice light. Maybe you can find a charger on ebay. I think you should get the charger as soon as possible because of the reconditioning factor. The Titan does not recondition the batteries, but it is a great power supply and charger while in the field.

Chiayi Fun April 10th, 2007 10:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
LED light

The luxmen X8 is the best led light I used.

Luxmen Illuminatore Portatile LED 5600K 7-16V a luce diurna diffusa per Camcorder Mini-DV completo di:

1x Illuminatore con staffa a sgancio rapido

2x gelatine circolari (diametro 105 mm) per la conversione daylight

1x cavetto di alimentazione con connettore coassiale DC Out

1x staffa con attacco flash (AL-X8-SGX)

Potenza equivalente 50W

Consumo 8W

Dimensioni: 90 x 110 x 150 mm

Peso: 285 g