DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Resizing M2T (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87405-resizing-m2t.html)

Matt Setnes February 23rd, 2007 07:52 PM

Resizing M2T

I would like to just resize(make smaller) the M2T clips from Cineform is there any software I can simply do this with, rather than re-encoding?

Adam Grunseth February 23rd, 2007 10:00 PM

What exactly do you mean by make smaller? Do you mean make the file size smaller? Or do you mean like crop the sides and the top off to make it smaller? Or do you mean rescaling the image so it is the same image, just fewer pixels?

It may be possible to make the file size smaller by zipping or compressing the file.... but it probably won't be compress that much. As far as any cropping or rescaling, that involves changing the data within the mpeg stream and will indeed require it to be re-encoded.

Matt Setnes February 23rd, 2007 11:38 PM

Rescale to SD so my workflow in AE is much better. I'm not ready to give my system another upgrade for HD compositing. So I know if I can rescale it for SD. My system isn't bad, but when it comes to where you need to extensive work of motion tracking, i prefer this just be in Standard Def.

So anyways I realize it has to be re-encoded. This leads to my next question:
What is the best way to rescale this to SD but keep the file size in roughly the same area? I realize I can rescale it my own, but I prefer to keep it to the same mpeg quality? What codec and settings should I use?

I know this belongs under the NLE, but because this deals with the HD100 codec I would prefer responses from any users in this topic.

Kit Hannah February 24th, 2007 12:25 AM

What we do is edit in .M2t / Cineform, encode to SD .avi and let our DVD authoring program (Adobe Encore 2) do the transcoding and Mpeg Encoding for the DVD. It looks absolutely flawless.

Adam Grunseth February 24th, 2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Rescale to SD so my workflow in AE is much better. I'm not ready to give my system another upgrade for HD compositing. So I know if I can rescale it for SD. My system isn't bad, but when it comes to where you need to extensive work of motion tracking, i prefer this just be in Standard Def.

So anyways I realize it has to be re-encoded. This leads to my next question:
What is the best way to rescale this to SD but keep the file size in roughly the same area? I realize I can rescale it my own, but I prefer to keep it to the same mpeg quality? What codec and settings should I use?

I know this belongs under the NLE, but because this deals with the HD100 codec I would prefer responses from any users in this topic.

Hi Matt,

Re-scaling HDV to SD can have some unique benifits... normal SD DV samples a chromatic resolution of 4:1:1, that is one fourth the color resolution as compared to the luma resolution. However, with the higher pixel count of HDV, in theory it is possible to resample HDV to SD, but keep the higher chormatic resolution resulting in 4:2:2 video. 4:2:2 color sampling is what is used in more professional formats, such as beta and digibeta.

Also, DVD format video has a chromatic resolution of 4:2:0 (which is still one fourth the color resolution as compared to luma resolution, just laid out in a different pattern of pixels). When you transfer 4:1:1 DV footage to DVD you end up with 4:1:0 color space- only have the chromatic resolution of what you original captured, wheras transfering 4:2:2 SD video or 4:2:0 HDV video to DVD will result in using the full 4:2:0 color resolution that DVD has to offer. If you want to know more about color sampling wikipedia has some great information and diagrams explaining how it all works.

So, now that I have gone off about how great it is to transfer HDV to SD, how do you actually do it? I am sure there is more than one way... but I use canopus pro-coder. First, you need to install a 4:2:2 codec on your system. The DVCpro50 codec is available online for download. Once you install that you can use procoder, or your favorite transcoding software to convert your HDV video to DVCpro50 which will maintain your higher chromatic resolution (which should be very helpful for motion tracking and color correction) and give you interframe compressed video (also can be helpful for motion tracking and color correction).

Matt Setnes February 24th, 2007 12:56 AM

Here is the problem, dolly shot with deep zooms green screen. This makes alot of work for motion tracking and keying. I got it keyed. But I will have to do multiple tracking points. I would like to ask if using the DVCPro50 codec, and rescaling to SD via an NLE, would that decrease or increase the size of my original m2t file?

EDIT* I will take a guess I cannot use the DVCpro50 codec on a pc?

Adam Grunseth February 24th, 2007 01:51 AM

DVCpro50 will increase the size of your file. Your m2t file is only 19mbps, whereas dvcpro50 is 50mbps. That means it will be a little over twice as large. Once you convert it to DVCpro50 it is an SD file, you don't need to rescale it once it is converted. You can use the DVCpro50 codec on a PC just fine.... you just need to download and install it.

Matt Setnes February 24th, 2007 01:59 AM

Does the DVCPro50 codec specifically rescale for SD(480)? And I haven't been able to find the codec anywhere other than serious magic, apple, or matrox. Do you know by any chance where I can get it?

Adam Grunseth February 24th, 2007 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Does the DVCPro50 codec specifically rescale for SD(480)? And I haven't been able to find the codec anywhere other than serious magic, apple, or matrox. Do you know by any chance where I can get it?

Well, the codec is indeed a 480lines of resolution codec, I downloaded it from matrox i believe. However, the codec doesn't scale the video itself. It just provides the tools your software on your computer needs to use it.

Once you install the codec, you will still need a transcoding program to actually convert the video. I use canopus procoder, but I am sure there are others out there.

Herman Van Deventer February 24th, 2007 05:33 AM

Dvc Pro / Resize /

Try mpeg Steamclip freeware win & max / converts cineform avi to / dvcpro
codec avi / mpeg 4 / quiktime etc.

Packed with all your favourite codecs / custom rescale presets / and all the
goodies you will need to do satifactory resize for encoding.
Open FILE and exort to avi / select dvcpro codec / set quality slider /
size presets etc.

Peace /