Checking for dirty heads/bad tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Checking for dirty heads/bad tape?

I've had an incident recently where the footage I tape on my JVC GY-HD100UA gets split into 100 new (useless) clips when I transfer to my PC. I could see the frame drop outs when I played back the tape in the camera, and watched in on the lcd monitor.

It also seemed like all of a sudden - a week before I taped an hour and half with no problem. Then suddenly, all garbage.

I ran the head cleaning tape on it, and the situation was much improved - 2 dropouts in 2 minutes instead of 100 dropouts in 2 minutes.

The thought occurs to me every time I put in a new tape, I should record 30 seconds, then play it back. If it looks all choppy, I'll use the head cleaning tape. If it still looks bad, I'll try a new tape.

I'm wondering if other people do this? Maybe I should have been doing this all along, I just hadn't heard of other videographers doing the same thing.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

The first question is what brand and type of tape? Use the JVC ProHD stock for best results.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I've always used the JVC ProHD tapes on it. Never anything else.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens View Post
I've always used the JVC ProHD tapes on it. Never anything else.
Then you should probably have the camera looked at. Can you borrow another camera to confirm the problem isn't with your firewire, RAM or hard drive setup?
Did you run a head cleaning tape when the camera first arrived?
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I didn't run the cleaning tape when I first got it. I got it in July 2006.

Worked worked wonderfully until December of 2006. That's when I first had the problem. I put another tape in the camera, and it didn't happen with that tape. So I thought it was just a bad tape. I forget if I ran the cleaning tape at that time, honestly.

But from December 27, 2006 until February 25th, 2007 the problem didn't appear. Now it's back. The cleaning tape did make a huge difference, so that why I'm thinking of the heads. When I play the tape back in the camera I see the lines across the picture every few seconds. When I record to dvrack (which I usually do), the stuff is fine.

So all that made me think the problem is the mechanism that records to the tape itself.

A call to JVC is definitely happening.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Then you should probably have the camera looked at. Can you borrow another camera to confirm the problem isn't with your firewire, RAM or hard drive setup?
Did you run a head cleaning tape when the camera first arrived?
Do you recommend running a cleaning tape through before using the camera? Hadn't seen that anywhere if so....
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
The first question is what brand and type of tape? Use the JVC ProHD stock for best results.
Hey Tim,

Can you use the JVC ProHD tapes to shoot SD as well, or are the just for HD?

Thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Major Player

I am having a similar prolem. My last tape in the camera had popping sounds at the beginning (header) when trying to capture but the 16min shot afterwards was fine then the next shots (shot a month later) had the same problem. I had 188 drop frames for a few min of video and wasn't able to capture.
What was weird was viewing in camera everything looked and sounded fine but when I tryed to capture using a old cannon camera then that is where the problems started. (old tapes played though old cannon were fine also)
I'm wondering if the heads are mis aligned. That may account for why playing back in camera works but not when played from a different camera.

I have a 4 year mack warranty and purchased camera about a year ago so any suggestions?

What gets me is my old consumer cannon camera has been through hell and back without a single problem and here a "professional camera" JVCHD100ua with very few hours on it can't last a year. This camera pays my bills and should last a lot longer than a consumer camera.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Anyone have a cleaning tape? Have you run it thought the camera lately? Be not, be not, be not afraid!
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Major Player

I have 30 hours on head you think it needs cleaned?
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey View Post
I have 30 hours on head you think it needs cleaned?
I have heard 20 hours as a good time frame. But, it depends on conditions and such. Just don't be afraid to use the cleaning tape!
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
Can you use the JVC ProHD tapes to shoot SD as well, or are the just for HD?
Yes. I recommend using the same stock regardless of the format of the data being written to the tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Do you recommend running a cleaning tape through before using the camera? Hadn't seen that anywhere if so....
Yes. There could be residue left behind from manufacturing. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
I have heard 20 hours as a good time frame. But, it depends on conditions and such. Just don't be afraid to use the cleaning tape!
20 hours sounds good. I do every 10 tapes when in production. So far so good.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #13
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bowey View Post

What gets me is my old consumer cannon camera has been through hell and back without a single problem and here a "professional camera" JVCHD100ua with very few hours on it can't last a year. This camera pays my bills and should last a lot longer than a consumer camera.
Hi Joe,

Try a cleaning tape - JVC, Panasonic, or Fuji. If that does not work, have the camera serviced. Pro cameras are much more complex than consumer cameras, and they will occasionally require servicing, like your car needing a tune-up.

Regards,
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #14
Major Player

I used a head cleaning tape and pt a new tape in but have not tried it yet. When I play it back in the JVC camera it looks fine and sounds good but when I try to capture using my consumer cannon camera the sound skips and it won't capture.
Thank god I was not on a shoot when this happened but It does make me want to look at getting the exteral drive to record to as a back up.
P.s. its due for a yearly tune-up with my mack warranty.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Ok I just ran tape cleaner 10sec on play 3x and it seems ok. I am still sending it in for yeary maintaince and I will seriosuly look at the external harddrive at NAB.
Can I shoot on both tape and hd at same time? And if I have any dropouts will they show up on external drive?
And lastly how do you archive tapes? Dvd?

Thanks soooooooo much.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems