DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   2nd camera to HD110? suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/88436-2nd-camera-hd110-suggestions.html)

Sal C. Martin March 7th, 2007 07:14 PM

2nd camera to HD110? suggestions

I need an inexpensive 2nd smaller camera for shoots to mix it with footage shot with my JVC HD110u.

I am doing a project about Mountain biking and want a small camera to mount on the handlebars. The need for a 2nd smaller camera comes up quite a bit in my work.

Would anyone recommend buying a used Sony HC1 or something like that? Maybe even a cheap 16:9 Standard def camera will do. Basically I want something that wouldn't be too much of a pain to transcode up to HDV timeline.

Suggestions?

Steve Benner March 7th, 2007 07:34 PM

First, there is no camera under the HD100 that does 720P that is on Par. There are two HD options though at 1080i, the Canon XL-A1 or they're new HD20. They both use the Canon 24f modes which can be de-interlaced and down-converted to 720P and should mix well with the HD100.

In SD, you can get a Canon XL-2 (for the money, you can get the A1) or a DVX100B as both have 24P modes. I would stick with one of the HD cams though. The A1 goes for around $3500. If you plan to buy in that range, then for a few hundred more you can buy another used HD100.

Sal C. Martin March 8th, 2007 12:19 AM

what about my old footage?

Steve:
Before the HD110, I primarily used a Pd150. Before that I had a high-8 unit. I have a lot of archival stuff that I might occasionally want to mix into my projects.

What's the best way to upconvert?

Daniel Patton March 8th, 2007 02:07 AM

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html

Sal C. Martin March 8th, 2007 07:42 AM

thanks Dan

Thanks Dan.

Have you used that product? It sounds great!

The literature says I have to convert stuff from my old pd-150 into progressive video in the host application. That can be done in most NLEs, correct?

Regards.

Ben Lynn March 8th, 2007 08:07 AM

Sal,

If your mounting it to the handlebars I think the Canon HD10 or HD20 would probably be a good option.

Actually, any small camera mounted, even sd, would probably look fine. Typically handlebar shots are just quick cutaways on the screen for up to 5 sec. so I don't know how imporant the hd factor would be. But if you think it's important to have the hd, you may need it for other projects, then any of todays small hd camcorders should work good.

Good luck.

Ben

Daniel Patton March 8th, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal C. Martin (Post 638196)
Thanks Dan.

Have you used that product? It sounds great!

The literature says I have to convert stuff from my old pd-150 into progressive video in the host application. That can be done in most NLEs, correct?

Regards.

Yes, it not only works great, it's painless. We use it a fair amount when working with mixed footage. You can do a majority of the same thing without Instant HD by using different tools, setting, filters. But the time and trouble it saves you relates to $$$. Red Giant has done a great job with this plugin. We have used every product they have come out with, but this one saved us the most time. It's all good stuff.

Yes, you should be able to deinterlace in your host NLE.

Sal C. Martin March 8th, 2007 10:49 AM

thanks guys!

Ben:
I am going to buy a panasonic GS-180 for about $200 just for the handlebar mount. This way if the camera is obliterated I won't cry.

Also, the camera is so small it will get me into places on future shoots where my ENG-style HD110u would certainly attract a lot of attention ( "Do you have permission to shoot video here?" etc etc).

The rest of the project will be shot with the HD110u and will be edited in FCP.

I knew you guys would have the answer, thanks!

As usual, any tips from you guys on any of this is greatly appreciated.