Scene file editor for HD100/200? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

New Mac's can run Windows

Jad

Mac users have several options to run Windows Apps:
(1) Those of us with Intel-based Macs, by installing BootCamp with Windows XP SP2, we can run demanding Windows-based programs such as DV Rack HD 2.0 as if it were running on a high-end PC. Boot camp virtually turns any partioned Mac into a PC, so there would be no problem for those of us with PowerMacs.
(2) By utilizing emulation software such as Parallels on any modestly powered Mac, many windows programs will work just fine. I know there are exceptions, but it sounds like you could focus your skills and experience on a Windows-based scene file editor. That would be a huge benefit to so many of us.

Thanks for your efforts, Jad!!
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Wrangler

Yes, Intel Macs can run Windows apps under virtualization or a separate boot.
However, it would be much simpler if someone could program it in Javascript or ActionScript (Flash) and let it live on a server. This way your platform (linux, mac, xp, vista, etc.) wouldn't matter.

Start with a simple curve modifier using the data I provided, and then it can be improved later with colour/vectorscope information, with the eventual goal being sample image manipulation.

Take the approach of the app being used as a teaching tool, and not as a .SCN file creator. That would be overly ambitious right now, especially without a proper SDK.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Intel Mac users don't have to install Windows. I'm using Crossover Mac. Works great for all kinds off applications. It also works with software that isn't on their compatibility list.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Some Windows Apps require True XP Environment

Marc

Crossover looks/sounds great and I’m sure it will run many Windows apps just fine. I was referencing programs such as DV Rack HD 2.0 which require actual Windows XP with SP2 environment to operate properly (see forum threads and links). Some Mac users have tried, unsuccessfully, to simply load that program inside virtualization programs and wonder why they don’t work. As Tim says, a separate, stand-alone Windows boot is required.
Thanks anyway for the link to Crossover .
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #20
Major Player

...and there are still a few geezers like me with G5's. I'm hoping they will last until the octomac is out - and affordable! I do have virtual PC, but that's like pulling teeth - underwater.
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lafleur View Post
Crossover looks/sounds great and I’m sure it will run many Windows apps just fine. I was referencing programs such as DV Rack HD 2.0 which require actual Windows XP with SP2 environment to operate properly (see forum threads and links).
Well it's funny that you mention that specific app because I may use similar system calls for pulling frames off firewire. In any case, I'm sure there will be plenty of community testing before I consider it 'released'.

I think the gamma/color curve image processing will work out. The math equations and programming routines are not nearly as complicated as I expected. I believe the processing can be done in real-time.

What I'm worried about is grabbing an HDV frame. Standard DV is easy, but HDV seems to be much more complicated and not as open. Anyone know any freeware programs that can capture HDV?
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Yes, I am a software engineer and web programmer during my 9-5, with a good amount of experience in gui and applications design. If you or anyone would like to post requested features, I could get a spec together and hammer it out sooner than later.

I'm not so sure about previsualization as that would require some sort of communication with the camera or emulation of its compression methods, but there could at least be some healthy descriptions for each adjustment parameter and some sort of website integration/sharing feature.

FYI, I only program for Windows and Linux.

What about adding the possibily of besides of setting all the preferences yourself (manually), also include the possibilty to set some of sthe scene files published here? (If there creators agree?) - just to give the users templates to work from (e.g. True Color 3, Panamatch, ...)?
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp View Post
What about adding the possibily of besides of setting all the preferences yourself (manually), also include the possibilty to set some of sthe scene files published here? (If there creators agree?) - just to give the users templates to work from (e.g. True Color 3, Panamatch, ...)?
I would need permission for those specific files, but I did have that sort of sharing mentality in mind. One component of the program would be a little window on the side where you could try some presets other people have made.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Couldn't the preview simply be a tga file from the timeline of a NLE, or any other formatted image file,(png, jpg, tga, tiff, etc)? I think it would get you pretty close to what you want on the camera.

You could start with a TC3 frame, then tweek it with the sliders, write it into a scene file?

Just some thoughts,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #25
Major Player

I've made some progress with the app design and am going to organize part of the UI for importing of specific groups of a SCN file, so you can avoid overwriting certain menus. You will be able to drag/drop SCN files from a list into four slots and pick an SD card or directory to write them to. Alternatively, you can edit the values directly. The preview window is a planned feature for phase 2.

Questions/comments/concerns?

Also, it will be modular so it could be easily adapted to other cameras like the XL2.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #26
Major Player

Jad

I'm glad to see you've continued with this. Are you going to post screen shots and eventually beta downloads? I'm also assuming this is for Windows only?

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
I'm glad to see you've continued with this. Are you going to post screen shots and eventually beta downloads?
Yes, I will whip up a small webpage and put something on it for giving feedback, so the users can direct all complaints to that instead of my inbox :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
I'm also assuming this is for Windows only?
Yes, but if someone else is a capable Mac developer, I will share the code and help with synchronizing updates.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #28
Major Player

Sorry for the delay; life is busy yadda yadda you've all heard it before. I'll have a preliminary version available for testing at the end of next weekend. It lets you edit and group most of the parameters. The immediate goal is to allow a baseline settings file and then apply certain groups of parameters to it from another setting file. The program structure is in place, I just need to finish learning the scene file format so I can support all the important parameters.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Steve Mullen has a rather nice intro booklet to the HD100
http://www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/
I'd be cautious about buying this. I bought it when I first got my HD-100.

It spends *113* pages on HDV theory before it even mentions the HD-100.

It's a waste.
Stephen Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Sorry for the delay; life is busy yadda yadda you've all heard it before. I'll have a preliminary version available for testing at the end of next weekend. It lets you edit and group most of the parameters. The immediate goal is to allow a baseline settings file and then apply certain groups of parameters to it from another setting file. The program structure is in place, I just need to finish learning the scene file format so I can support all the important parameters.
I look forward to testing it.

Thanks

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems