DV to HDV Conversion Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV to HDV Conversion Question

Hello,

I have a tape that is a dub of BetaSP footage onto a miniDV tape. The tape plays on my camera with an image when the camera is set in the DV 60i mode. It does not play an image in the HDV mode.

I need to use the images on this tape as B-roll for a video I am already editing on a 24fps HDV timeline in Final Cut. Using Tim's work flow (found at www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83228) which uses DVHSCap then MPEG Streamclip - then Cinema Tools...how do I get my DV footage to work in a HDV timeline with, I guess, a different frame rate?

This question shows my ignorance of understanding what all of these applications do and how the timeline and capturing and frame rates and everything all work. As I get answers to all the questions I post, I hope I will figure this all out and understand the applications on a more fundamental level so that I feel more comfortable playing around with them and finding out answers to road-blocks on my own. Problem is, I rarely know where to start to look and I get frustrated and want to give up.

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Trustee

what are you editing with FCP ?

in FCP you should capture the DV material as DV. then drag the DV clips into your HDV TL... done, as long as your HDV is 30(29.97) and your DV is also NTSC, there's nothing to do. FCP will scale to fit when you do the drag and drop. if your DV is 4:3, then you'll have to decide if you want to side letterbox, or blow it up. if its 16:9, its already the right side. there are some 3rd party filters that might handle the blow up better like digital anarchy resizer. I'd HIGHLY suggest you RTFM the FCP manual because most of this video basics is in there.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

But what if my timeline is 24fps? That is what I need the B-roll to go on? Is it possible?

I am using final cut.
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
what are you editing with FCP ?

in FCP you should capture the DV material as DV. then drag the DV clips into your HDV TL... done, as long as your HDV is 30(29.97) and your DV is also NTSC, there's nothing to do. FCP will scale to fit when you do the drag and drop. if your DV is 4:3, then you'll have to decide if you want to side letterbox, or blow it up. if its 16:9, its already the right side. there are some 3rd party filters that might handle the blow up better like digital anarchy resizer. I'd HIGHLY suggest you RTFM the FCP manual because most of this video basics is in there.
Steve,

May I politely suggest you read the original post carefully before ranting at people who are simply asking for help. If you did, you'd have noticed that Sharon is working with a 24fps HDV timeline. Thus, everything you have written in response is not only rude but also inaccurate. Your grammar could do with a little help as well.

Sharon,

I'm not entirely sure but, I think you'll need to use cinema tools to change the frame rate to 24fps, once you've captured it as DV, of course. Then you can drop it into your HDV timeline and resize.

Hope that helps,

Liam.
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Liam. Will try.

Cheers,
Sharon

ps- say hi to London for me...would love to live there one day
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems