Why is the hd100 worth so little used? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Why is the hd100 worth so little used?

I was going to switch out one my hd100's for a hd200 so I put it up on ebay.

Well the hd100 I put up did really bad, lol.

I mean, we are talking a mint hd100 with only 24 drum hours and a/b system. If I didn't put a reserve, I would have a $1800 loss from it's original price which I paid a few months ago. That would be fine and all if this particular hd100 was one of my work hoarses.

I wouldn't be asking this question if it were not for all the camcorders I have sold in the past that did extremely well. I sold a bunch of canon gl2's and xl2's last year and they sold for about 4/5 of what I paid brand new, almost 3 years before. I had way more hits on those auctions as well.

I am not upset, I am just a little surprised. I plan on keeping it now and getting my money out of it.

So, I am wondering if any of you guys have any clue as to why the prohd camcorders lose their value so quickly once they are used?

I think it might have to do with the fact that they are more commercial oriented and so, there is not as many users out there looking to buy one.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Major Player

There is one UK store that has at least 5 used Hd100's for sale for over a grand less than new ones - again low mileage examples.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

You might have better luck listing it for sale rather than for auction. Meaning, try not using Ebay.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jonathan, I feel your pain. I wanted to sell a few months ago but there was just too much competition from the used camcorder market and the newer Canons and JVC models. It's not just the HD100 either having resale value problems. Same thing goes to used XLH1 and HVX cameras. It's a good time to buy used stuff.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
You might have better luck listing it for sale rather than for auction. Meaning, try not using Ebay.
You could be right about that. I used ebay because I have had lots of success with it in the past. However, most of those items were strait up prosumer cams with auto focus, ois, etc.

I think the hd100 is just not a very good ebay item. Maybe the wrong demographic?

I might just try listing it and see if maybe it would have better luck. Like I said, I rather keep it than take a $1800+ hit.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Wrangler

I believe the reason is basically that JVC released the HD110 within the first year of releasing the HD100. For most users there really would be absolutely no difference in functionality, but some of us appreciate the little improvements, and of course consumerism trains us to think new is automatically better, and old has less value. This is a similar situation to Panasonic's release of the DVX100A within months of release of the DVX100, or Canon's XL1s update to the XL1.

I always try to predict the value in buying a piece of gear versus renting for the first 6 months of use. This mode of thinking has prevented me from purchasing quite a few items!
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
Jonathan, I feel your pain. I wanted to sell a few months ago but there was just too much competition from the used camcorder market and the newer Canons and JVC models. It's not just the HD100 either having resale value problems. Same thing goes to used XLH1 and HVX cameras. It's a good time to buy used stuff.
No doubt. It's almost like buying a car. I think the lesson to be learned is to buy new and use it till the thing falls apart. Then sale it! lol

At least then, you got your money out of it.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Major Player

The reason they sell for so little on eBay is because it's a trendy place. That most people will never experience the subtle differences between an HD100 and HD110 means nothing because all they care about is whether the item is new. And if there is a newer model out, then the previous model is implied to be old.

As for why the HD100s are so cheap now, I can only venture a guess that industry people are so satisfied with the HD200 and HD250 that they will not compromise uncompressed output for the modest price difference to the lower model, and all HDxxx are too professional for prosumers.

The HDV workflow can be expensive and most people who will invest in it will pay the extra to get an HD200. I think this camcorder line came out too quickly and is suffering from having 'fake hd'. Somehow the public is under the impression that 1080i is superior to 720p and that 1080p is the 'real hd'.

I had planned to use my XL2 for another year and then migrate over to an HD100 when I could afford it all, but they have dropped in price so much that after selling my XL2 lot and buying a similar HD100 lot, I will have money in my pocket. How crazy is that?
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Major Player

You can also look at it the other way... cheap "long term rental". I like to own 90% of my gear and rent seldom. Sure you take a loss on purchase, but if you can use it for a long enough period of time without a re-purchase/upgrade, then it can be cheaper than actual rental. This is a lot easier $5k-$10k cameras of course, I'm not talking about real high ticket items.

Sure I'm taking a good size hit on our HD100 by selling it, but owning it has allowed me to work with the camera anytime I want, and in turn shoot better with it than had I rented. The way I see it I have a tangible item to sell now, I still saved money in the long run. It's that up front cost that hurts the most.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
The reason they sell for so little on eBay is because it's a trendy place. That most people will never experience the subtle differences between an HD100 and HD110 means nothing because all they care about is whether the item is new. And if there is a newer model out, then the previous model is implied to be old.

As for why the HD100s are so cheap now, I can only venture a guess that industry people are so satisfied with the HD200 and HD250 that they will not compromise uncompressed output for the modest price difference to the lower model, and all HDxxx are too professional for prosumers.

The HDV workflow can be expensive and most people who will invest in it will pay the extra to get an HD200. I think this camcorder line came out too quickly and is suffering from having 'fake hd'. Somehow the public is under the impression that 1080i is superior to 720p and that 1080p is the 'real hd'.

I had planned to use my XL2 for another year and then migrate over to an HD100 when I could afford it all, but they have dropped in price so much that after selling my XL2 lot and buying a similar HD100 lot, I will have money in my pocket. How crazy is that?
Jad,

I agree, the HD110 makes the HD100 seem old even though the differences between the two are minor. The flip lcd function is probably the most note worthy even though it is a feature I would probably never use. I rather save some $ and get a hd100.

Pretty much what you said, I feel the issue with auction sites such as ebay is the demographic is more consumer/prosumer users. My only guess, the hd100 is too hard core for faint of heart (even though I find it really easy and I am a complete newb!)

I can't see how the whole fake hd thing could be a problem. That is an issue that would hit jvc directly and from my understanding, they have sold A LOT of these camcorders.

I guess this is something I am going to have to start thinking about when I buy new camcorders especially pro grade stuff. One nice thing about camcorders such as the canons, they retained their value so well that I could plan on switching them out later without losing too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton View Post
You can also look at it the other way... cheap "long term rental". I like to own 90% of my gear and rent seldom. Sure you take a loss on purchase, but if you can use it for a long enough period of time without a re-purchase/upgrade, then it can be cheaper than actual rental. This is a lot easier $5k-$10k cameras of course, I'm not talking about real high ticket items.

Sure I'm taking a good size hit on our HD100 by selling it, but owning it has allowed me to work with the camera anytime I want, and in turn shoot better with it than had I rented. The way I see it I have a tangible item to sell now, I still saved money in the long run. It's that up front cost that hurts the most.
Yep, that is why I am going to have to keep my hd100 longer than I expected. There is just no way I am going to take that kind of hit on something I had paid top dollar a few months prior and with only 24 hours on the heads.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Major Player

I think that it may also be due to JVC running their current promotions. If you're getting a brand new camera with a $1200 IDX battery package for just over $5000, in my mind, that makes the camera worth about $3800-$4000. If you're trying to sell ia used one for more than that or even a bit less than that, most people would rather have the new camera with the pro battery package than have a used one (older model) and have to buy the battery package seperately for about the same price. And if you have noticed, most people have gotten the IDX package or A/B package because using the stock batteries just aresn't practical, from the time they last to the camera being too front heavy.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Also, you can get factory refurbs with warranties for what, $3700?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
I think that it may also be due to JVC running their current promotions. If you're getting a brand new camera with a $1200 IDX battery package for just over $5000, in my mind, that makes the camera worth about $3800-$4000. If you're trying to sell ia used one for more than that or even a bit less than that, most people would rather have the new camera with the pro battery package than have a used one (older model) and have to buy the battery package seperately for about the same price. And if you have noticed, most people have gotten the IDX package or A/B package because using the stock batteries just aresn't practical, from the time they last to the camera being too front heavy.
Well, not in my case because I sold the anton bauer kit with the camcorder. In fact, the anton bauer kit in my auction was brand new, unopened.

I would have been fine with the price my auction ended with if it were not for the included a/b system.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #14
Major Player

So, then try to sell them seperately.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
So, then try to sell them seperately.
Yeah, I could sell it seperately. I got the a/b kit from the promo so I thought it should be sold with the hd100.

I am not too worried about it, I probably will just keep it and use it! I have already lost 100 bucks trying to sell it so it is just wasting money at this point.

Anyhow, thanks guys for all the tips.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems