DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY HD110u various questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/89002-gy-hd110u-various-questions.html)

Joseph A. Benoit March 10th, 2007 08:10 AM

GY HD110u various questions

Hello
I just bought a new 110u from B&H
Had a XL1 for years then got a FX1 plus a HVR-M10U DECK and VEGAS 6.0
I guest i'll need to get a hd50u deck for editing.
will i have any problems editing in vegas ?
Any info would help about the camera or editing
thank you for your time
Joe

Don Bloom March 10th, 2007 09:53 AM

vegas 7 will handle the HD footage better than Vegas 6 but it can be done-you will however need to load the footage then it would be best to convert with an intermediate file for editing if using 6

Don

Joseph A. Benoit March 15th, 2007 11:39 AM

Gy Hd110u

Hi:
i got my new GY HD110U this week
love the camera. still got get to my HD 50 deck
i have a sony HVR M10U i know i can't firewire to vegas but i would like to see
some shots i did with 110U in HD. when i try to play it on the M10U it tell me
to change to the correct tape format
Can anybody help me with this
by the way i have a sony FX1 thats reason i got the HVR M10U
I'm learning the HD 110U a little each day and a whole lot reading this forum,
pro and con
Thank You for your time
Joe

Craig Parkes March 15th, 2007 04:12 PM

Hey, have investigated this myself when looking at buying decks, and unfortunately the HDV that is recorded on JVC products is a different sort of HDV than that recorded on Sony products. Which means that you HVR won't be able to play the HDV from your JVC camera.

Paul Nguyen March 15th, 2007 04:41 PM

I suspect it has alot to do with the JVC CODEC running 6GOP instead of 16GOP.

Joseph A. Benoit March 15th, 2007 10:37 PM

Gy Hd110u

Hey guys
thank you for the replys
my wife gonna kill me when i buy that hd50u
I got lucky and sold the FX1, Now the hvr 10mu
I treated my self last Xmas a year ago and bought Vegas 6.0 with the DVD architect,the FX1 and the m10u pro deck and bought right from sony
I was dumb paid full price for it all
But i love this gy hd110u.Love all options with this Camera and the feel of the camera. The only thing i do not like is the stock batt: that comes with the camera. i'm glad i'm getting the IDX BATT SYS.
You guys have a great day. and once again thank you
Joe

Kit Hannah March 16th, 2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Nguyen (Post 642357)
I suspect it has alot to do with the JVC CODEC running 6GOP instead of 16GOP.

That would be 6 GOP instead of 15 GOP.

The JVC cams record 720p, the Sony cams record 1080i. Unless a deck specifically supports a certain format, don't just assume it does, because in many cases they don't.

Jim Fields March 19th, 2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Parkes (Post 642348)
Hey, have investigated this myself when looking at buying decks, and unfortunately the HDV that is recorded on JVC products is a different sort of HDV than that recorded on Sony products. Which means that you HVR won't be able to play the HDV from your JVC camera.

Not true,

I filmed some MotoGP races in 720P30 with my 110U, and played them back on a Sony consumer HDV camera. Sound did not play, but the imaged looked great.

Craig Parkes March 19th, 2007 11:06 PM

I would count not being able to play sound as not being able to play. :)

And I wouldn't compare consumer models doing playback to a professional deck.

Even in regular DV I have had more than a few instances where a professional deck would spit the dummy on a tape filmed on say an XL1 but a consumer handycam would play the tape back fine (the heads on the XL1 weren't aligned properly, it could record and playback fine, consumer cams could record and playback fine, I'm guessing because they are designed with more tolerance for crappy tapes etc/don't check for TC, but pro decks would spit the dummy.)

Joseph A. Benoit March 20th, 2007 01:11 PM

110u

Hello
is it possible to connect from the monitor outs of my recording deck direct to the camera so i don't want to use the on camera mike.
i know i could to do it with the my XL1S AND FX1.
If its possible could you please explain it me.
I call JVC couldn't get thourgh to anybody

i've only had the camera less than 1 wk.
and there is so much to learn.
Thank You for your time
Joe Benoit

Carl Hicks March 20th, 2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit (Post 645036)
Hello
is it possible to connect from the monitor outs of my recording deck direct to the camera so i don't want to use the on camera mike.
i know i could to do it with the my XL1S AND FX1.
If its possible could you please explain it me.
I call JVC couldn't get thourgh to anybody

i've only had the camera less than 1 wk.
and there is so much to learn.
Thank You for your time
Joe Benoit

Hi Joseph,

If I follow your question, you want to get your audio from an external deck and run it to the camera as an input signal, instead of using the on-camera mic, correct?

To do this, simply connect the correct type of cable from the deck to one of the camera's two XLR inputs. For example, this might require a RCA male to XLR male cable. Since you did not identify the type or model deck, I can't say for sure. Then, set the input switch of that XLR input to "line". Set your record level, and you are ready to go.

If you need further help, then consut your reseller, or call JVC tech support. See the top of this forum for instructions on calling tech supprt.

Regards,

Joseph A. Benoit March 20th, 2007 10:07 PM

110u

Carl thank you for the info
its so simple, see what happen when you get old ,ha ha
I've had my audio studio for years i got some clients that want a video
to send out to club owners.
so i like it to have great pictures and audio
Once again thank you for your time
Joe Benoit

Joseph A. Benoit March 21st, 2007 11:32 AM

110u

Hi Carl did what said, works perfect
Thank You
Joe benoit

Joseph A. Benoit April 17th, 2007 07:47 AM

110u HELP

Hello:

I need some advice from you pro's.

I don't want to shoot in full auto mode all the time,
so i been trying to learn to shoot in the manual mode i study the menu and the options
this camera is so great . I bought a training dvd, it helps to a point
Just for starters should i leave the iris on manual and adjust that with the shutter or leave the IRIS auto.
What i do is shoot outside practice with bright sun light then cloudy days
practice with my small studio lights in my small studio
I guess what i'm asking is there a basic formula that you use
i know that each event changes things.
thank you
Joe

Don Bloom April 17th, 2007 08:58 AM

Any camera with a pro type lens is actually fairly easy to operate with the iris in manual mode. First I don't change my shutter speed much if at all. Mostly fo NTSC DV I shoot pretty much evertything at 1/60th and then adjust the iris as needed. For example-I set the iris to AUTO to set it then move the switch on the lens to MANUAL. I can now adjust the iris on the run by doing 1 of 2 things. Either I can grab the iris ring and open or close it as needed OR I can simply push the irisi button on the lens handle with my pinky finger to adjust the iris on the fly. Typically thats what I and most everyone I know do in a run and gun situation. If however I am in a setup type shot I might then use the iris ring as I have more time to actually look at the shot and set the exposure.
The manual feature with the iris set button works not only on pro lenses but even some servo types such as on the Sony 150/170 and 250.
This gives you more control over the exposure than strictly auot iris because remember there are times that things like auto iris just don't cut it. Like highly backlit situations-zoom in tight to the subject, set the iris zoom out and frame-auto iris just doens't work real well in backlight.

HTHs
Don