DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Fixing your busted RCA jack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/89050-fixing-your-busted-rca-jack.html)

Steve Oakley March 15th, 2007 11:35 PM

Fixing your busted RCA jack

Having the camera busy, I haven't been able to send it in to get the loose intermitent RCA jack fixed. Finally I got to the point today where I just took the camera apart and it turned out it was an easy fix, no soldering required.

so this is how I fixed mine, but yours may be different.

don't do this if you don't know how to work on fine machinery or electronics. don't do this if you don't have a good set of jewelers screwdrivers, and don't do this if you are under warranty for the obvious reasons, mine is well out. use static safe handling procedures... and don't blame me if you mess up ! you are reasponsible for yourself. if I have left some small details out, thats because those who can will figure them out as they go, and those that can't shouldn't in the first place.
the very first thing is to look into the RCA jacks for which type they are. it seems that there are two types used!. my top two had thin single contacts that engaged the center pin, while the bottom most one had a collar that when all the way around. weird they are different. in this case my top jack was a bit wiggly, but not entirely broken off.

open cassette comparment ( you need battery power for this ) and remove the cover. cover slides down after removing screws.

disconnect mic, vf, remove SD ram card, remove lens and preferably place body cap onto open lens mount

remove any AB/IDX battery mount

remove the shoulder pad. I did this by removing all three screws, but it appears that just removing one would of let it slide off the back - I just didn't figure out which one. note the rear screw has a collar around it, don't loose it.

remove all screws for the VTR side of the camera but note that side is attached by some wiring. work *carefully* from here because the side will stay attached. I simply put the whole thing in my lap as I worked.

to disconnect the ribbon cable to the RCA board, flip the cover UP, then remove ribbon cable. COVER IT DOES NOT PULL OUT ! cable does NOT remove without lifting the cover.

remove RCA board by removing two screws holding it in place

with mine, I was thinking I might solder up a wire -> female RCA or BNC, but I couldn't pass it thru the body hole for the RCA...

I finally examined the RCA carefully. the body was loose, but otherwise looked ok. after a long time of examing the insides of the jack, it became obvious what the problem was - the skinny contact wasn't standing up tall enought to make contact. the solution was to

1. crazy glue ( use some HQ stuff, not the consumer junk ) the RCA body back down to the mount. this worked out fine. I used a ACC glue that used a primer. also hit it with glue twice.

2. using an exacto knife, I probed into the RCA jack FROM THE BOTTOM. I got the blade under the contact, and GENTLY bent the contact back.

using a DVRM I check continuity and the center pin was now making contact.

reassemble in reverse order. when putting the ribbon cable back in, make sure its square to the connector, and all the way in. there should not be any colored tape exposed if you did it right.

done.

so we'll see how long this holds up. its certainly more than good enough for a field repair before you can get a proper part and replace it. I do hope that JVC is now using better quality RCA jacks than mine....

and just remember, at your own risk in doing this and don't blame me if you mess up... good luck.

Steve Oakley