DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How to Letterbox output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/89397-how-letterbox-output.html)

Jerry Porter March 20th, 2007 06:46 AM

How to Letterbox output

Got four shiney new commercials ready to go to braodcast all nicely printed to back to tape. How do I make the 110 letterbox its output so the spots won't look all screwey when they air.

Tim Dashwood March 20th, 2007 07:21 AM

What software?

Jerry Porter March 20th, 2007 07:33 AM

I'm just wondering if the camera will output letterbox via firewire like the Sonys?

Dennis Robinson March 20th, 2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 644795)
Got four shiney new commercials ready to go to braodcast all nicely printed to back to tape. How do I make the 110 letterbox its output so the spots won't look all screwey when they air.

Hi Jerry,
If you are going to offer the tape as a 16.9 broadcast, the TV station will do an aspect ratio conversion. You just need to let them know that the master is 16.9 otherwise it will be squishy.
If the station only broadcasts 4.3 then the easiest way to display the 16.9 is to make up a normal 4.3 sequence and drop the 16.9 sequence into it. This will show a 4.3 frame letterboxed with the complete 16.9 vision. At least, that is how we do it in Australia. Hope I have given an answer that makes sense.

Tim Dashwood March 20th, 2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 644826)
I'm just wondering if the camera will output letterbox via firewire like the Sonys?

Not via firewire. HD is HD. There is no 4x3 version of HD with letterbox.

The HD110,200 & 250 can output a downconverted analog signal in letterbox or anamorphic.

If you are talking about doing a HD to SD downconvert via firewire, the ProHD series cameras do not have the capability.

Jerry Porter March 20th, 2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 644832)
Not via firewire. HD is HD. There is no 4x3 version of HD with letterbox.

The HD110,200 & 250 can output a downconverted analog signal in letterbox or anamorphic.

If you are talking about doing a HD to SD downconvert via firewire, the ProHD series cameras do not have the capability.

Via analog is the way I will have to go. And over here in the US I don't trust the stations to do it. They barely even look at what they are putting into the systems. The Sony will auto downconvert to letterbox SD if you tell it to. Thanks for the help

Stephan Ahonen March 20th, 2007 10:38 PM

You're perfectly right not to trust the TV station to letterbox your stuff for you, because that's not their job. It's a TV station, not a video post facility, they're in the business of taking what they're given and putting it on the air. It's your job to make sure the tape you give them is exactly as it should appear on the air. If you give them an anamorphic tape, don't be suprised when it shows up anamorphic on the air.