How To: Clean Heads (?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Major Player

How To: Clean Heads (?)

Hi All,
I have owned and used my JVCHD100 for almost a year with no problems at all.
I know sooner or later I will get a head cleaning message. I have a couple JVC head cleaning tapes, but no idea how to use them. Could some kind soul post a how to use head cleaning tape? I feel pretty silly asking, but I simply have no idea what the procedure is.
Thanks,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Insert the cleaning tape, put the camera in VTR mode and press play. The HD100 will automatically detect the cleaning tape and play for only 10 seconds. Eject and you're done. DO NOT rewind the cleaning tape.
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Sir,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Major Player

I've been looking for a head cleaning tape (I use the JVC PRO HD tapes) in the UK, but I can't seem to find any of the ones suggested on here? Anyone from the UK be kind enough to let me know where they get theres from?
...and do they have a certain number of times they can be used/shelf life. I think if I find a supplier I may get a couple.
Cheers (sorry for jumping aboard your thread Jon!)
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Major Player

I did not get a head cleaning message but the i was getting a lot of drop frames.
The camera tellswhen a head cleaning tape is in and will shut off after 10 seconds. almost fool proof.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
I've been looking for a head cleaning tape (I use the JVC PRO HD tapes) in the UK, but I can't seem to find any of the ones suggested on here? Anyone from the UK be kind enough to let me know where they get theres from?
...and do they have a certain number of times they can be used/shelf life. I think if I find a supplier I may get a couple.
Cheers (sorry for jumping aboard your thread Jon!)
I got mine from the JVC pro store. Just go to JVC.com and you will find the link there. I also had trouble finding them from other retailers. They were about $21.00 US.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Cheers Carl - I'll take a look - I have to phone JVC up some time this week anyhow.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Major Player

David

I'm also in need of some. Let us know if you get sorted out in the UK

Ta

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Will do Drew...I know some of the JVC cleaning tapes are hard to find, perhaps Liam (in London) may know of a supplier?
I've had a quick browse on the creativevideo site (where I get my PRO HD tapes from) but nothing jumps out.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Drew - I had a look on the JVC europe site for JVC Pro cleaning tapes - although they don't sell them directly I found the same item recommended on the site below - retail at £8.75

This is the JVC site listing the item:

http://www.jvcproeurope.com/uk/pub/i...?item=M-DV12CL

And this is the site selling them:

http://www.tapecity.co.uk/acatalog/T...FRiSQAodHzNeHA

I'm pretty sure these are the tapes recommended on here but with a slightly different (europe/uk) model number??

Cheers.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Drew - I had a look on the JVC europe site for JVC Pro cleaning tapes - although they don't sell them directly I found the same item recommended on the site below - retail at £8.75

This is the JVC site listing the item:

http://www.jvcproeurope.com/uk/pub/i...?item=M-DV12CL

And this is the site selling them:

http://www.tapecity.co.uk/acatalog/T...FRiSQAodHzNeHA

I'm pretty sure these are the tapes recommended on here but with a slightly different (europe/uk) model number??

Cheers.
I also saw the on Amazon David.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Can't find them on the UK Amazon Carl...I need to get some things from there anyway so it would've been handy. They stock the panny ones and another type of JVC head cleaning tape but not the one suggested on here...unless I just wasn't looking properly?
Cheers.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #13
Major Player

And here Drew:

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merch...ory_Code=mindv

Slightly different to the other JVC cleaning tape...not sure if there's any major difference or reason not to use these - They have the model No:M-DV2MCL rather than M-DV12CL...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
And here Drew:

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merch...ory_Code=mindv

Slightly different to the other JVC cleaning tape...not sure if there's any major difference or reason not to use these - They have the model No:M-DV2MCLM-DV2MCLM-DV2MCL rather than M-DV12CL...
Sorry you can't find it on Amazon, maybe it is only on the US site. They actually had the M-DV12CL in stock. When I ordered my cleaning tape from JVC, I asked about the difference between the 2 model numbers and the rep told me they are the same, they are replacing the M-DV12CL with the M-DV2MCLM cleaning cassette. That is what he told me. Maybe Carl Hicks can confirm.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Major Player

I must be weird as I dont use cleaning tapes, but cleaning soloution and a few Q-Tips and clean all the rollers, heads, etc by hand. I just take the plastic cover off the door for better sight and flexability.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems