Monitoring with the HD100. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Trustee

Boyd, I'm pretty sure that firewire box is for SD only, like most DV to analog converters out there. But I may be wrong.
A laptop is not an option Brian. Here's the thing. My main monitor is a HD component monitor. So no matter what I need a component signal to feed to this monitor. The other signal I need is when I use a jib or stabilizer for example. In these cases, it's a composite/YC monitor and it's for framing reasons only, so no need for a better quality one. No need to dump a load of money on a Marshal. I already have a HD monitor for focusing etc. Since I still need to have the main HD monitor too, I need a way to get another signal out of the camera and this signal needs to be either composite, YC or converted to those. The reason I thought of a firewire to component was that that way I could send the firewire converted to component to my main HD monitor and use the component/composite output to send composite to the other monitors. A laptop could only replace the HD monitor, which besides not being a good idea since the HD monitor is a real video monitor rather than a computer monitor, I already have a HD monitor anyways, so it doesn’t solve my problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far by the way.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Boyd, I'm pretty sure that firewire box is for SD only
Oh... you've got me there, that's true!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #18
Major Player

All professional monitors I've seen have the ability to loop a signal out of the monitor.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
All professional monitors I've seen have the ability to loop a signal out of the monitor.
Yeah, but can you imagine the hassle of looping the signal back to a jib or steadicam monitor? The situation I explained above is why I need another solution.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah, but can you imagine the hassle of looping the signal back to a jib or steadicam monitor? The situation I explained above is why I need another solution.
On a jib or steadicam even with two outputs on the camera you would have to tether your rig with cables anyway, by looping off the monitor you're just changing where you're tethering from. In either case the best option would be a wireless transmitter to your director's monitor, which you can loop off the rig's monitor.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Firewire output delayed by 1/3 second

Keep in mind, the Firewire output is delayed by about 1/3 second on the HD100, and your decoder may introduce additional delay.
Keith Winstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Have you thought about using the Viewfinder (eye piece) output for your jib monitor, then using the component out for your bigger HD monitor?

I have no idea what the output resolution is on the V/F, or if there is a multi pin to RCA adaptor in existence for something like this, but it's just an idea.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
I do this quite regularly if the production can't afford a video sender.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #24
Major Player

Michael,

It sounds like you need some more equipment to accomplish what your wanting to do.

You would need to run the component outputs from the jvc to an HD Component DA (distribution amp). Take one of the outputs from the DA and run it to your dedicated monitor. The second output would need to be downconverted to an SD composite signal that could then be run back to the crane. You would need an aja hd componite to sd composite converter for that.

If I were in your position I'd buy those two items and build a custom box that could house the units and would have connections built into the box. That would make it portable and quick to set up on site.

It sounds like you already have a lot of equipment on hand for a shoot so these additional items and cables shouldn't be an issue. If you're taking the time to setup a crane/jib then running the extra cable back to the camera for a monitor feed won't add much time and will be well worth it for a proper feed that you could patch to any monitor you like.

You may even want to spend the extra money for a 1x4 da rather than just a 1x2 da so that you have some spare lines if you need to hd monitor feeds later on.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
On a jib or steadicam even with two outputs on the camera you would have to tether your rig with cables anyway, by looping off the monitor you're just changing where you're tethering from. In either case the best option would be a wireless transmitter to your director's monitor, which you can loop off the rig's monitor.
Yes, although slightly more complicated. But anyways, I found out my monitor has no loop function. Since I never needed it I never checked to see if it had one. So no game unfortuanlly. I have 3 HD monitors and none of them have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Winstein View Post
Keep in mind, the Firewire output is delayed by about 1/3 second on the HD100, and your decoder may introduce additional delay.
That’s one more thing to consider. Although since it would feed the main/director monitor the delay wouldn’t matter much. If it was the operator monitor or something it would be bad.
By the way, I have a HD monitor that has a DVI-D and a HD15 connector. Is there a component converter to these formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Have you thought about using the Viewfinder (eye piece) output for your jib monitor, then using the component out for your bigger HD monitor?

I have no idea what the output resolution is on the V/F, or if there is a multi pin to RCA adaptor in existence for something like this, but it's just an idea.
That probably wouldn’t work. There’s something about the HD100 EVF output. It’s not really an EVF output. That’s why you can’t use of EVFs with it. On the top of that I would need the pinout and I have tried several times to get it from JVC but they won’t give it out. So there’s nothing I can do there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
Michael,

It sounds like you need some more equipment to accomplish what your wanting to do.
Yes. Since JVC couldn’t put another video out in the camera I guess you are right. I need to find a work around. All that work for the lack of a single separated composite jack, which any $200 consumer camcorder has and all the other 1/3” HDV cameras too (on the top of component).

Quote:
You would need to run the component outputs from the jvc to an HD Component DA (distribution amp). Take one of the outputs from the DA and run it to your dedicated monitor.
Would you have any recommendations for a portable and affordable component DA?
That would be basically the same as just using RCA splitters to split the component signal but the difference is that it would not weaken the signal right? Just making sure we are on the same page..

Quote:
The second output would need to be downconverted to an SD composite signal that could then be run back to the crane. You would need an aja hd componite to sd composite converter for that.

That would run me what? $1,000 just for the downconverter? I wonder if it would have cost JVC 1/100 of that to put a dedicated composite jack there.

Quote:
If I were in your position I'd buy those two items and build a custom box that could house the units and would have connections built into the box. That would make it portable and quick to set up on site.
How much are we talking about here? Because as I said, before I spend a couple thousand on a work around to fix a limitation of the camera I would just sell my HD100 and get a camera that has a complete set of professionally usable video outputs. A Canon A1 is just what, 3k?

Quote:
It sounds like you already have a lot of equipment on hand for a shoot so these additional items and cables shouldn't be an issue. If you're taking the time to setup a crane/jib then running the extra cable back to the camera for a monitor feed won't add much time and will be well worth it for a proper feed that you could patch to any monitor you like.
Yes, the extra work isn’t really the problem.
I tried having a RCA splitter hook to the Y jack and sending one Y signal to the component HD monitor and the other Y signal to a composite monitor. You can’t see anything on the Composite monitor. The Component monitor works fine. But if you unhook the Pb cable from the HD100 the picture shows up on the composite monitor and the picture on the Component monitor turn B&W (kind of).
And I think if I just split the Component signals and sent one to my HD Component monitor and another to a SD Component monitor it wouldn't work either. I really don't want to buy one more monitor because I already have several and I don't want to spend a couple thousand to fix something that coul have been easily added to the camera, specially that other cameras on the same price range and even lower have it. I would sell and buy another one before I would spend a lot of money to fix it.
Frustrating.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #26
Major Player

Yes, a DA is used to reproduce the signal with no loss. If image quality is important or critical to you, and it sounds like it is, then you need a DA to properly distribute the signal to multiple monitors.

Here are some affordable DA options:

1x4 DA for $110

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=0&sort=prod

1x2 DA for $54

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=2&sort=prod

At this point however, your affordable options run out. I did some additional research and you would need to spend $800 on a component to HD-SDI converter and then another $500 or so on an HD-SDI to composite downconverter. I couldn't find any direct HD component to SD composite converters.

So your looking at a total cost of about 2K for that extra composite monitor feed.

OR,

You could simply buy a small HD lcd monitor for your crane:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=5&sort=prod

I found that monitor on a quick search and it was $1400. I think you could find one for a few hundered less if you search around.

You really don't have a cheap option ahead if you absolutely need that second feed every time. You'll need to decide if you want to spend LOTS of money in downconverting, or just spend a lot of money to buy a small hd lcd that will display your signal. I suggest the lcd not only for the cost savings but because it will work for other purposes as well.

You may decide to simply sell your camera and buy the A1. I'm sure you know the benefits to each camera at this point so that may be your best option if cost is the main factor.

Hope the info helps.

Ben
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #27
New Boot

Michael,

I found this solution but it's about $500.

https://www.audioauthority.com/index...re&iProduct=40

Nix this! It's not a solution. Output is either composite and S or analog component and HD pass through. Sorry!
Oscar Villalpando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #28
Major Player

Oscar that's actually a great find!

That unit solves Michaels issue. You could run the hd monitor from the component pass through and run the crane monitor from the composite out.

Good eye.

Michael, that's a cheap solution that would be worth some serious consideration.

Ben
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #29
New Boot

Ben,

It's not the solution Michael is looking for. This unit does not offer HD pass through and composite out at the same time. It's an either/or situation.
Oscar Villalpando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #30
Major Player

Yes, but you could couple that with a $100 HD component DA and that would be a very affordable solution. Plus with a 1x4 DA you could later add a second full size monitor to the set at any time.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems