Monitoring with the HD100. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Trustee

Monitoring with the HD100.

Has anybody found a solution for monitoring out of the HD100 with two monitors? I’m growing sick of this limitation, as I need double monitoring on a daily basis basically. It’s really unfortunate the HD100 only gives you the option of monitoring with one monitor. I didn’t even need two sets of component outputs. A proper separated composite or even a S-video like ALL other HDV cameras have would already suffice. I still scratch my head as of why JVC did it that way while ALL other 1/3” HDV cameras have more options (which basically eliminates the usual “to keep costs down” excuse). So has anybody found a solution to connecting two monitors at once when using the HD100?
I was thinking of maybe using the firewire out. But is there such thing as a portable firewire to component converter? Any other alternatives?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can get either a RCA male to two females splitter, or you can buy this for s-video: http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-sv.html

Maybe I am confused at what you are wanting to do...

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Trustee

I need to find a way to send a video signal from the HD100 to two monitors simultaneously. Since the HD100 has no S-video out, the splitter you recommended wouldn’t work. But thanks anyway.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know what kind of monitors you're using, but many monitors have a video in and a video out, so that you can connect them in series one after the other and then you terminate on the last one.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes, but that doesn't work for me. I need to send a signal "from" the HD100 to two monitors.
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #6

i'm not exactly sure what your problem is. why can't you use a splitter on each of the component signals
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Trustee

Why not get the marshall monitor for the top of the camera which connects with shorties and then run component out from the marshall to some other source?

Or as Bill writes, get an A/V splitter. They are available everywhere.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
But is there such thing as a portable firewire to component converter?
You could get a firewire box like this and figure out a way to power it from batteries instead of the supplied AC adaptor... http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...id=API-557-EFS
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I need to find a way to send a video signal from the HD100 to two monitors simultaneously. Since the HD100 has no S-video out, the splitter you recommended wouldn’t work. But thanks anyway.
Try this instead: http://www.casecooler.com/rcasplitcab1.html

Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Trustee

The RCA splitter besides weakening the signal, it limits you to two component devices only. If you need to send one signal to a component monitor and another to a composite or YC monitor, like when using my Jib arm, the splitter solution doesn’t work.
The Marshal is out of question as I already have many monitors. Before paying for a Marshal because JVC couldn’t put another video out connector on the camera, I buy another that has the video outs, like a XL-H1 or HVX200 or something.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Trustee

I found this little splitter (Click here) which keeps the signal in tact to two displays. There are a lot of A/V splitters which keep the signal in tact.

good luck.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #12
Trustee

Just tired of every time I shoot I wish I had got another camera or had researched more about the HD100 before buying it. Don’t get me wrong, I love the camera part of it. I just never thought that something as simple as a video out jack would be a problem since every and all cameras I ever had had more than one video out. Since I need multiple monitors (and most times with mixed connection types) it has become a pain.

That splitter seems to solve the problem of the weaker signal, but being limited to component devices only still a problem. Thanks for the link though.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #13
Major Player

Yes, it's a small DA you need rather than a splitter.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #14
Inner Circle

if you have laptop you can use it as a monitor with the fire wire connection.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
being limited to component devices only still a problem.
The box in my link above has firewire input with composite, s-video and component output....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems