HD100 video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

HD100 video

Hello,

I have been lurking in this forum a LOT, and am grateful to all the people who contribute great information.

I just wanted to show you guys a sample piece I made, to see what people like yourself notice. This is the first time I have been able to do a project like this in like 7 years, so I am a bit rusty on a few things. With the exception of the acting, this was a one man show behind the camera; Camera, Audio, Editing, Lighting, Make-up, Writing and Directing. Yes, I am an egomaniac, but also I didn’t have budget for anyone else otherwise I would have gladly let others join in the fun.

This was shot with on an HD100, Stock Lens, 24p, True Color. The Kitchen scene used Natural Light. The garage used 3 China Balls with 60watt Flourscent light for base lighting, 600watt Halogen Type light with a soft box and One Practical (in scene) 75 watt light on the subject.

Editing was done in Premiere Pro, with a little audio touching done in Audition.

(added edit: If you are under the age of 17 please know that this may not be appropriate for you to veiw. Actually, it isn't appropriate for anyone who has a weak stomach or would rather not view violent content.)

Hmmm, that’s about it.

http://www.watsonmediaworks.com/TheBirdhouseFinCut.mov

Chris Watson
Watson MediaWorks LLC.
www.watsonmediaworks.com

Last edited by Christopher Watson; March 29th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Christopher Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Major Player

This doesn’t remind me of Hostel (sarcasm)

I’m honestly not into this kind of s**t. I feel that it could very easily influence the wrong person to mimic what was portrayed here.

It does have shock value.

I just find this sort of thing offensive. What if that was your daughter?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
This doesn’t remind me of Hostel (sarcasm)

I just find this sort of thing offensive. What if that was your daughter?

I am glad you have a reaction to it. I worry about the people who veiw it and hold their tongue or even worse people who are warm to this sort of thing.

Personally, this is a little gory for me too. But this what was asked, so this is what was delivered.

Thank you for your opinion.

Chris Watson
Watson MediaWorks LLC.
www.watsonmediaworks.com
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

one reason why i don't like it.....it's not disturbing enough.....more gore!....mwuahahaha
Abel Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

Please put a warning at the initial posting to let everyone know that this isn't appropriate for anyone under 17 and it contains graphic material (I know, that probably encourages every teenager on this forum to watch, but it does warn other people).

It was a good short for what it was meant for. Maybe on a tv it looks different, but online the blood looked very real and your technical work was great. A good conversation and cuts.

Dumb questions here, was that supposed to be a pun at the end? ("I'll keep her around as long as possible.") I think the last line could have been a better punchline but the conversation sounded pretty natural.

I need to go decompress from that one. It was very vivid and not my normal viewing material.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn View Post
Chris,

Please put a warning at the initial posting to let everyone know that this isn't appropriate for anyone under 17 and it contains graphic material

Dumb questions here, was that supposed to be a pun at the end? ("I'll keep her around as long as possible.")

Ben
Yeah, I agree, I edited the original comment, this is prolly a little too much for some.

It was supposed to be a pun, I didn't want him to Hit On It too hard cause I was trying to keep a tone. I sorta feel sorry for Jeremy the actor, because he did exactly what I needed him to do; unfortunatly the by-product of that is people don't ask him to lunch anymore. ;)

Chris
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Major Player

I thought it looked good and the acting was convincing.

To be critical, I would say that you could have made more of the phone call. You could have hinted at why he was the way he was - as it is, his mother sounds pretty normal, but I suppose he may just have a screw loose.

It would have also been nice to keep the victim as a reveal for later in the script. Fool the audience into thinking he is cooking or something and then revealing the victim. As it is, the story doesn't go anywhere because from the first few shots we know exactly what is going on.

I was also unsure as to whose story it was. We start on a ECU of the victim, but only really follow the murderer. Maybe it should have been more from his perspective.

Overall though it is pretty well made, if a little sick.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel Vang View Post
one reason why i don't like it.....it's not disturbing enough.....more gore!....mwuahahaha
More gore doesn't make a movie scary or disturbing, in fact, I find it counterproductive.

Making the story plausible is the first step. Show how easily one can be led into a situation naively through misplaced trust. Then show how their poor judgment leads to their gruesome demise.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
More gore doesn't make a movie scary or disturbing, in fact, I find it counterproductive.

Making the story plausible is the first step. Show how easily one can be led into a situation naively through misplaced trust. Then show how their poor judgment leads to their gruesome demise.
Thank you for your opinion, again.

What did you think of the rotoscoping? That was kinda hard, there are even a few flaws.

Chris Watson
Watson MediaWorks
www.watsonmediaworks.com
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Major Player

I thought it looked good, but maybe use some color correction for some added mood.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems