DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100, one side purple, now both sides purple (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/90313-hd100-one-side-purple-now-both-sides-purple.html)

Mark Silva March 30th, 2007 10:54 AM

HD100, one side purple, now both sides purple

Well this is just grand, our hd100a has performed well for us this past year and right now during a live shoot paid gig, the left side has gone purple so I powered off, powered up, it was good for another 5 minutes, now the entire screen is purple.

Is JVC going to fix this free of charge?

I may lose a client now over this. he's not happy and neither am i.

Edward Carlson March 30th, 2007 01:03 PM

Is it just the screen or is the recorded video affected too? If it is under warranty, it should be a free repair, although I don't know JVC's warranty restrictions.

Mark Silva March 31st, 2007 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was recorded onto tape.

This was a very important project for the BBC and now I look like a complete A-Hole and could very well lose my client.

This happened just after the 1 year warranty expired.
I really hope JVC can help me out on this.

Here is the issue. (attached)

Robb Kunz March 31st, 2007 04:22 PM

Mark,

Sorry to see this. I had the exact same issue with my camera three different times. JVC informed me this was an issue with the Optical Block and put 3 new ones in my camera over 12 months. Here are some examples of the issues I had (each time in a different color):

http://www.dblue.net/yellow_half.mov

http://www.dblue.net/blue_half.mp4

http://www.dblue.net/red_half.mov

Get it in to service.....

Robb

Stephan Ahonen March 31st, 2007 07:33 PM

Wow, it looks like one of the CCDs is dying, I've never seen that happen on a camera before.

Stephen L. Noe March 31st, 2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva (Post 652013)
It was recorded onto tape.

This was a very important project for the BBC and now I look like a complete A-Hole and could very well lose my client.

This happened just after the 1 year warranty expired.
I really hope JVC can help me out on this.

Here is the issue. (attached)

Did you notice this when you shot the footage? Did it show up on your monitor?

Mark Silva March 31st, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe (Post 652105)
Did you notice this when you shot the footage? Did it show up on your monitor?

yes and yes.

I had to just keep it rolling, we framed him on the right side.
so now he has to split the clip to use it downconverted to sd so he has something to use.

I powered the camera up today and it was fine for about 2 minutes then it split to purple again.

It happens in HD & SD modes.

I'm really bummed out on this.

Tom Hardwick April 1st, 2007 12:35 AM

Don't (or won't) JVC match Sony with their three-year Silver Service warrenty? You'd think market forces would insist they had to - your JVC costs nearly 3x whan a Sony A1 costs.

I'm sure JVC will look to help you out here knowing the cost and age of your kit. It's most certainly worth a polite letter stating that the goods you bought from them are not considered fit for purpose.

tom.

Stephen L. Noe April 1st, 2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva (Post 652131)
yes and yes.

I had to just keep it rolling, we framed him on the right side.
so now he has to split the clip to use it downconverted to sd so he has something to use.

I powered the camera up today and it was fine for about 2 minutes then it split to purple again.

It happens in HD & SD modes.

I'm really bummed out on this.

It's all hind sight now but, did you have time to run and get another camera? Plus, don't take it too hard Mark, it's happened to all of us at one point. I remember our old DSR Sony used to pop an F43 code at the most unopportune times.

Are you bummed most by the technical failure with the client or the camera repair your facing?

Sean Adair April 1st, 2007 03:06 PM

Video has a whole boatload of technology making the magic, and things can and do go wrong with equipment from every manufacturer and price range.
It's all much more reliable than it was when I first entered the industry.

In any case, it is totally inappropriate to blame JVC for the problem you are having. Warranty periods are an agreement you enter into when you decide to make a purchase. In some cases, a manufacturer might repair an item out of warranty where there is a clear issue of a defective part - but it isn't an assumption or a right, and a bad attitude is going to make it even more unlikely.

Mark Silva April 1st, 2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe (Post 652226)
It's all hind sight now but, did you have time to run and get another camera? Plus, don't take it too hard Mark, it's happened to all of us at one point. I remember our old DSR Sony used to pop an F43 code at the most unopportune times.

Are you bummed most by the technical failure with the client or the camera repair your facing?

bummed out about both.

It was working fine for the first 5 minutes of the shoot then my client saw the picture and asked what was going on and I told him it was the first time I'd ever seen it. no time to get a replacement unfortunately.

I seem to be a jinx when it comes to 3 chip camcorders.

my first a GL1, got hot pixels exactly a week after its warranty expired. I paid for its repair since canon wouldn't even acknowledge my letter. The replacement got hot pixels a month after the repair warranty expired. I will never buy another canon camcorder ever again.

I had used a 3-ccd sony DXC-930 block cam for film transfers, it went south after 2 years use though it was pretty old. I bought another used on ebay, it lasted a year.

and now this failure happening 6 weeks after warranty expiration.

I have contacted JVC on this matter and I hope they can help me out in some way.

But I do not blame jvc for anything. With complex electronics like this $hit happens.

Mike Marriage April 1st, 2007 05:14 PM

I don't know about US law, but in the UK warranties are additional to consumer rights. An item of that price sold as a professional camera should have a life expectancy beyond 18 months and would have to be repaired free by the manufacturer as long as the fault is due to manufacturing errors/inadequacies.

Of course, they always try and dodge such repairs (not pointing at JVC here, but companies in general) but you can always threaten legal action. Just make sure you know your rights, of which I know nothing in terms of the US.

I believe in the UK now, for an error such as this, the manufacturer is responsible for proving it is not them at fault - ie, they are guilty until proven innocent.

Learn the law for your country/state and certainly don't feel rude to enforce it, particularly on a mega-corp like JVC.

Carl Hicks April 1st, 2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva (Post 652427)
bummed out about both.

It was working fine for the first 5 minutes of the shoot then my client saw the picture and asked what was going on and I told him it was the first time I'd ever seen it. no time to get a replacement unfortunately.

I seem to be a jinx when it comes to 3 chip camcorders.

my first a GL1, got hot pixels exactly a week after its warranty expired. I paid for its repair since canon wouldn't even acknowledge my letter. The replacement got hot pixels a month after the repair warranty expired. I will never buy another canon camcorder ever again.

I had used a 3-ccd sony DXC-930 block cam for film transfers, it went south after 2 years use though it was pretty old. I bought another used on ebay, it lasted a year.

and now this failure happening 6 weeks after warranty expiration.

I have contacted JVC on this matter and I hope they can help me out in some way.

But I do not blame jvc for anything. With complex electronics like this $hit happens.

Hi Mark,

Get you reseller and local JVC Pro rep involved first thing Monday.

Regards,

Mark Silva April 2nd, 2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks (Post 652527)
Hi Mark,

Get you reseller and local JVC Pro rep involved first thing Monday.

Regards,

I bought it through B&H so I'm not sure that would help.

I did email Doug Mullen though.
He's been my support contact in the past.

Scott Jaco April 3rd, 2007 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Kunz (Post 652020)
Mark,

Sorry to see this. I had the exact same issue with my camera three different times. JVC informed me this was an issue with the Optical Block and put 3 new ones in my camera over 12 months. Here are some examples of the issues I had (each time in a different color):

http://www.dblue.net/yellow_half.mov

http://www.dblue.net/blue_half.mp4

http://www.dblue.net/red_half.mov

Get it in to service.....

Robb

The last clip looked like typical SSE, still, the SEE should not be that apparent in those light conditions.