HDV 720/60p on FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Trustee

HDV 720/60p on FCP

Does anyone know when Apple will support 720/60p with HDV codec?
At this point, I'm capturing 720/60p from HD250 with uncompressed or DVCPRO HD via HDSDI. I tried JPEG, too, but resolution gets little corse, great for the transfering rate of 9MB/sec, though.
But I'm hoping to edit native HDV with 720/60p format. What NLE software supports native HDV 720/60p right now?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey, currently the workaround for FCP is the following.

Use DVHSCAP (Free download) or Firestore to capture the raw .m2t file.
Use MPEG STREAMCLIP (also free) to transcode the .m2t into the codec of your choice.
Open FCP, and create a timeline with exact settings to clips.
Edit away.

As for when Apple will support 60P, we do not know. It took them a little over a year to support 24/25P (we are still waiting on Avid though, pathetic) and that has gained a lot of positiive feedback, so it might be quicker this time around.

We all believe that FCP 6 will be at NAB, so it will likely be included in that, but lets hope for a maintecnce release of FCP like they did for 24/25.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
Does anyone know when Apple will support 720/60p with HDV codec?
At this point, I'm capturing 720/60p from HD250 with uncompressed or DVCPRO HD via HDSDI. I tried JPEG, too, but resolution gets little corse, great for the transfering rate of 9MB/sec, though.
But I'm hoping to edit native HDV with 720/60p format. What NLE software supports native HDV 720/60p right now?
Liquid 7 support 24, 25, 30, 50 & 60fps workflows natively, however it's PC only. Also Liquid Chrome support the HD-SDI workflow or component feeds to uncompressed. Uprezzing to HDCam is a snap as well.

good times....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner View Post
Hey, currently the workaround for FCP is the following.

Use DVHSCAP (Free download) or Firestore to capture the raw .m2t file.
Use MPEG STREAMCLIP (also free) to transcode the .m2t into the codec of your choice.
Open FCP, and create a timeline with exact settings to clips.
Edit away.
For 720P60 you don't have to go to the trouble of third party apps if you want to use Apple Intermediate Codec.

Just set your capture preset to "HDV - Apple Intermediate Codec" and then invoke "log & capture." You'll just be prompted with the option to name the files and away you go. Modify a 720P30 AIC sequence preset to 720P60 (59.94fps) and you can edit your 720P60 AIC footage.
Use Cinema Tools to conform the clips to 23.98 or 29.97 if you want to use 60P for slo-mo overcrank.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
For 720P60 you don't have to go to the trouble of third party apps if you want to use Apple Intermediate Codec.

Just set your capture preset to "HDV - Apple Intermediate Codec" and then invoke "log & capture." You'll just be prompted with the option to name the files and away you go. Modify a 720P30 AIC sequence preset to 720P60 (59.94fps) and you can edit your 720P60 AIC footage.
Use Cinema Tools to conform the clips to 23.98 or 29.97 if you want to use 60P for slo-mo overcrank.
Tim, How are you handling HD-250 60fps footage from the DTE with FCP?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Trustee

Thanks all.

Tim,
I seem to have problem trying to edit the capture preset (maybe because I logged in using LDAP). I will try things further, but thanks for showing me the alternate direction.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Rather than using firewire, I was able to convert the Decklink HD preset to capture AIC via HDSDI without the deck control. Does this process associate with any transcoding?
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Kaku,
Can you tell me the steps you made in order to convert the Decklink HD preset to capture AIC via HDSDI without the deck control. I need this in order to capture live from the camera via SDI.
Thanks in advance,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen Oprina View Post
Kaku,
Can you tell me the steps you made in order to convert the Decklink HD preset to capture AIC via HDSDI without the deck control. I need this in order to capture live from the camera via SDI.
Thanks in advance,
Eugen
Oh, that is even easier, just select what codec you need in the preset, like 720/59.94 8bit, DVCPRO HD or JPEG, then go to Video/Audio setting, select no device in the device control. Open the capture window, start playing the tape and press capture.

Capturing with DVCPRO HD codec, quality is pretty impressive.

And correction on my previous post, doing the AIC capturing via HDSDI, the clip becomes 640 x 360 although I made sure to set it up at 1280 x 720.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems