DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   All scene file download from one single page. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/90482-all-scene-file-download-one-single-page.html)

Kim Wang April 2nd, 2007 08:12 AM

All scene file download from one single page.

This is great forum . I just tried Paolo Ciccone’s TC V3. Amazing
Is there is stick post of all different scene file link with author name and brief description.
It would be great we get the entire download from one post. So much great information here, but all can easily get lost.

Regards
Kim W

Sean Adair April 2nd, 2007 09:14 AM

I was thinking of putting all the recipes in an excel file to easily compare them as well. If did distribute them this way, even within here, we'd need the approval of all the creators.

They are reasonably well organized in Tim's first post in the first sticky thread.

There also is the project recently started to make a PC scene file editor, which will be the neatest solution. (As long as it runs in virtual PC for this G5 dude!).

I'm just eager to see translations of scene recipes/files to the HD200/250 series, as I'm pretty sure that modifications have to be made to get the original effect intended on the HD100/110 series. The scene files are not interchangeable either.

If it wasn't for this (owning a HD200), I'd have already done this for myself.

Chris Hurd April 2nd, 2007 09:54 AM

It's probably not a bad idea. Tim is the forum leader so it's his call to make, but I'm good with it as long as we're keeping it right here on DV Info Net and not some outside source. Thanks in advance,

Tim Dashwood April 2nd, 2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Wang
Is there is stick post of all different scene file link with author name and brief description.
It would be great we get the entire download from one post. So much great information here, but all can easily get lost.

The scene files are in a sticky called "Downloadable HD100 Scene Files & Recipes." You may have missed it. There may be some other user posted scene files floating around that I missed. If so, please notify me in that thread.
I'm working on new scene files for the HD200/250.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
It's probably not a bad idea. Tim is the forum leader so it's his call to make, but I'm good with it as long as we're keeping it right here on DV Info Net and not some outside source. Thanks in advance,

I actually did create some comparison grids in 2005, but then didn't bother to post them. Direct comparison isn't really that useful because the scene files need to be used in different ways. For example, the Bleach Bypass SF required more exposure to compensate for the crushed blacks and to clip the highlights. I included waveform captures and Gretag Macbeth charts for comparison in the pdfs I created with the recipes. The quicktime with the waveforms is also helpful, but the best way to learn how these scene files work is to experiment with them on your own.

When I finish with the new scene files I'll create a grid with chart comparisons. This is probably the most useful indication of what the scene files are actually doing.

I've attached one of those old comparisons from 2005 that I shot with an actress while I was on set. Like I noted above, this is a direct comparison of the effects of the scene file based on the midline exposure set in the centre frame. The three on the bottom look too dark, but that obviously isn't how you would use them.

NOTE: There was a problem adding an attachment, so I've just posted it on my server. Here's the link: http://www.TimDashwood.com/.Public/S...pared-2005.jpg

Sean Adair April 3rd, 2007 08:26 AM

Tim, it may have been said before, but it bears repeating:
You the man!
This is another carefully prepared and useful document. I agree, that there is no substitute for methodically going through settings yourself, but it sure is possible to accelerate learning and save lots of time by reviewing such well documented research. Especially for those of us without color charts or higher-end monitors on hand, but who still want to get their footage the best it can be.
The excel spreadsheet idea for recipe/settings, was as much about having everything together in a common format. I can see that some of the more dramatic setups would be less meaningful to compare, but for others it really helps to see what is moving to get from one scenefile to another.
Thanks!

Chris, I totally respect and understand your wanting to keep the community information here. Opening up the articles section to be easier to create will be really helpful. This is truly a great forum. There just comes a time when it is difficult to find buried knowledge, and there is a desire to organize and format it. It's especially daunting for the newcomers desperate for specific information. I'm sure you totally in tune with this. Maybe wiki's, maybe more moderated articles and how-tos. I'm sure you'll find a way, since this is an awesome community, and I hope to contribute myself however I can.