DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC general question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/90798-jvc-general-question.html)

Kalsang Ringchen April 5th, 2007 04:52 PM

JVC general question

I just bought a JVC HD110 camcorder, and I love the design of it. I have not shot any project with it. I am student at a film and video school. I was just told by a friend that JVC shoots 24P and not actual 24 frames as canon models, which put me in a tension. Is that true?

I am plannning to shoot a documentary in India this summer. Will this camera be good? Do I need another camera? If so, how should I match the settings with my JVC, I will not have another JVC, maybe sony. ? What other stuffs do I need? I am planning to shoot interviews mostly.

Another question, which frate rate and recording format should I be using if I want to should on SD? If I decide to shoot on HDV which setting will be good? Is it better to shoot on HDV and downconvert to SD later or directly shoot on SD?

What is the function of macro thing on the lens? How does it work? Once I have done back focussing do I need to redo it cos if you use the macro you are altering the back focus.

These questions may sound too amateurish but I am one.

Thank you.

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 05:06 PM

The JVC uses progressive chips, hence the 24p (progressive) , the Canons use interlaced chips and the frames for the 24f mode are done through software.

You have a great camera, so don't worry. Start by reading all the posts you need to on your cameras own forum.

And, you have a lot of reading to do. There are different forums for lighting (Photon Managment), sound (Now Hear This), etc. You will need some lights and audio equipment. If you know nothing at all you really need to read and study first or you will not even understand the info others will give.

Mike

PS: The macro switch is to allow you to focus on something which is very close to the lens, probably about 1/2 inch away from it. It does not change your back focus adjustment.

You definitly need to start by reading the manual that comes with the camera. You will not be able to ask intelligent questions until you do, and you won't understand the answers.

Mike

Scott Jaco April 5th, 2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalsang Ringchen (Post 654669)
I was just told by a friend that JVC shoots 24P and not actual 24 frames as canon models, which put me in a tension. Is that true?

It's the other way around. The Canon takes the 1080i off the chips and uses software to store it as progressive.

The JVC is true progressive.

Justin Ferar April 5th, 2007 05:59 PM

Now that you've bought the camera you have a lot of learning to do.

The first thing I would do is use your schools resources and the internet in learning how to shoot at 24 fps like every other filmmaker has done over the last few centuries.

In a nutshell...

Interlaced cameras will give the real life temporal smooth motion that people indentify as video (sports, news, corporate marketing/PR).

Progressive cameras like the HD110 are more for film making (music videos, short films, commercials and yes- documentaries).

The rest is up to you.

Kalsang Ringchen April 5th, 2007 07:53 PM

thanks

Thanks everyone for those answers. I sure need to learn a lot. I reda the JVC manual but have not undertsood much. I think their manual is not so good. I am not blaming my ignorance on the manual but it is a fact.

How long does it take for JVC to send you rebates? Whenever I call the concerned department, I am put on hold or asked to leave a message. My purchase has a rebate of IDX battery kit for which I sent all the required papers a week ago. I have not been able to talk to anyone until now. i left message and my phone number but no one got back to me. I need the batteries for my project in india which is nearing. Any ideas?

Stephen L. Noe April 5th, 2007 09:58 PM

The kit only comes with 1 battery so unless you have another IDX laying around you'll need to get another one. The charger will mount 2 batteries. Don't worry about plugging the charger in to EU power sources. It works with US or EU plugin.

Keep calling the JVC number until you get a live person. They will be able to tell you whether your order is processed.

If you are certain that you intend to deliver to DVD or broacast then you can save time in your NLE by shooting 30p. If you're going to take your project out to film or you are going to deliver in PAL as well as NTSC then you should select 24p.

You can NOT treat ProHD camera's like they are a video camera. They must be treated (in shooting style) like they are film cameras for best results.

Kalsang Ringchen April 6th, 2007 03:06 PM

hurrah, JVC called me

Is this a coincidence or is it because of this forum that JVC called me and said they recieved my invoice and stuff but I had forgot to send the barcode on the box so I need to send that. I am glad it became a 2 way communication now. Does anyone know how much would the IDX battery(the one that is rebated) last on a full charge? If I want to get another one what do I look for in the specs? The capacity which is expressed in wh? Does that mean watthours?

Which hard drive recorder is best for the JVC HD110? I was thinking of the FS4 (40GB). How much hours of HDV footage on 24p will it be able to store?

Thanks.

Don Bloom April 6th, 2007 04:46 PM

wh=Watt hours. The camera pulls 17W and the battery is 71W fully charged. 17 divided into 71 = about 4 hours IF you have no other gear pulling off the battery and IIRC the 17W is without the LCD open and running- Figure about 3.5 to 4 hours of run time. Gotta have at least 2 batteries - 3 is better.

Don

Dennis Robinson April 6th, 2007 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Kalsang Ringchen;654782]Thanks everyone for those answers. I sure need to learn a lot. I reda the JVC manual but have not undertsood much. I think their manual is not so good. I am not blaming my ignorance on the manual but it is a fact.

You make me laugh. I understand you have all these questions but you need to read and understand the manual. I get the idea you think you should be able to buy a camera like this and start shooting without any training whatsoever. I went to a camera course at a fim school to pick up the basics 4 years ago and spent a lot of time with a Canon XL1s. When i bought my JVC 5 months ago, I had a lot of learning to do as to how to use it.
I just want you to understand that it will take time and without training you have a hard road in front of you if you want to learn it all. The manual is an important part of the learning process and as Mike says in an earlier post, you wont understand the answers to your questions without some knowledge. You say you are a student at a film school but your questions indicate that you have only just enrolled.
Good luck!

Kalsang Ringchen April 7th, 2007 10:45 PM

Yes, my lord, I am an amateur

Oh, so I made someone laugh? That means I made someone happy. That's my religion, to make others happy. Yes, I do solemnly agree that I am new, and I had said that in the start of this thread. I am not pretending to know alot and know nothing. My doors to knowlege about anything concerning video are wide open. I will read the manual again, and again. I also refer a lot to 'filmmaker's handbook' by Edward Pincus and Steven Ascher. And I learn from this forum, from people like you. Yes, you. Where are you looking? I am pointing at you, the one sitting infront of this computer. Yes, you.

Eric Susch April 9th, 2007 01:02 AM

Kalsang ,

To answer one of your questions, it's better to shoot HDV and down convert later. You should also edit in HDV and only down convert at the very end on output. That way your movie is in HD if you want it later.

I see you are in New York. I'm guessing you are going to school at NYU or SVA? Good luck in India.

Kalsang Ringchen April 9th, 2007 10:46 PM

How?

Sorry for being so novice? If you think this is stupid just ignore. How do I downconvert later? In the FCP itself? When I edit HDV on FCP, which settings should I set?

Is it same as editing usual SD stuff? What other things should I change from the settings of the FCP to edit HDV. I have not shot on HDV as of now as I did not have HDV tapes. Does JVC HD110 record HDV on regular minidv tapes?

The other day I was shooting a stage event and I had got a audio line in from the mixer and the camera's mic option was set to line but there was no audio. But when I put the switch to mic or mic48v it worked. The sound guy was surprised to see that. What went wrong?

And to tell you all, I have read the manual thrice and I am reading it everyday, everytime.

Arios

Kalsang Ringchen April 9th, 2007 10:51 PM

what format?

If I want to shoot on the reular Standard definition, which frame rate and rec format should I chose. I shoot on frame rate 60/30 and DV 60i. Am I right? what does this 60/30 and dv60i mean?

Sorry for silly questions. But I need to know. I know many of you don't like to see such questions, just close your eyes or ignore. Someone who understands my position will answer me.

Thanks

Steve Mullen April 10th, 2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalsang Ringchen (Post 654669)
I am plannning to shoot a documentary in India this summer.

You've got a great camcorder. But, you haven't mentioned mics and a lighting kit.

I've been shooting video in India since 1984 and you'll want to avoid shooting under the VERY blue flourescent lights. You also want to mic your subjects very tightly because of the near constant background noise.

And, you might want to use my "ProHD Handbook" ALONG with your video course. It is a complete course on HDV, which may not be what you are learning in school.

Good luck,
Steve

Werner Wesp April 10th, 2007 06:56 AM

This camera takes somewhat longer to get used to... I've had virtually all DV25 professional Camcorders (all 3 brands, too) and a share of consumer stuff before that (Canon XL1, XL2, even a Pana MS4E, where are the days - and I'm not even 30). Unlike those camera's where the transition is relatively easy, the HD1xx was harder to adapt to: probably because of the HD and the progressive nature. Setting backfocus is a lot harder then with SD cams (and it takes a lot longer), progressive isn't forgiving on camera movements (and to make things worse: you see 50p in the viewfinder, where only 25p is recorded).

Not only will you need to read up on all technical details you still don't know about, you'll need to practice, practice, practice (and build something like a 10-year-experience-of-shooting-equivalent within the time you depart to India...)