JVC GY-HD250 Studio Configuration Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #1
New Boot

JVC GY-HD250 Studio Configuration Question

I am considering a set of HD250's in a three-camera studio config in a house of worship -- wondering if anyone has used these in this way and your thoughts.

Also, I've seen the 'studio' set-up done in two ways: using the studio adapter (KA-H250) with 26-pin multicore to CCU along with an HD-SDI. However, I'm also aware of people simply using the remote control unit (RM-LP55U) with RS-232 extension.

Has anyone used or seen either of these used in either of these configs? Opinions on the ladder set-up? It seems unorthodox to me, but if it is truly doable, it would certainly be more economical.

Thanks.
Justin Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #2
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Teague View Post
I am considering a set of HD250's in a three-camera studio config in a house of worship -- wondering if anyone has used these in this way and your thoughts.

Also, I've seen the 'studio' set-up done in two ways: using the studio adapter (KA-H250) with 26-pin multicore to CCU along with an HD-SDI. However, I'm also aware of people simply using the remote control unit (RM-LP55U) with RS-232 extension.

Has anyone used or seen either of these used in either of these configs? Opinions on the ladder set-up? It seems unorthodox to me, but if it is truly doable, it would certainly be more economical.

Thanks.
Hi Justin,

I have customers doing both. Going with the RM-LP55 idea works to some extent. However you loose many of the functions that the 26 pin multicore gives you, such as remote power, tally, and intercom. Plus, if you don't use the multicore, then you have to run separate cables for genlock, video, tally, intercom, power, and the small CCU.

It comes down to ease and cleanness of the installation using 26 pin versus lots more cables (and more labor installing those cables), and lower hardware cost.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks View Post
However you lose many of the functions that the 26 pin multicore gives you, such as remote power, tally, and intercom.
In other words, don't do it! Power cables can get unplugged. Any live video system without tally is unacceptable, especially with volunteers who are slightly less clear on the concept of "camera 2 is live." And you may think you can get away with your existing intercom infrastructure, but there's a point where there's just too much comm traffic and you're struggling to get yourself heard without stepping on people. Believe me, I've been there with all of these things.

On a side note, HD in a church? I shudder to think of the cost of the HD video infrastructure you're going to need. Our SD-SDI system was bad enough and standard def is downright CHEAP compared to what a proper HD system will need. Your switcher alone will cost more than our cameras. Heck, we couldn't even afford to completely do it the "right" way, we've got some serious duct tape I'd like to get rid of.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #4
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
On a side note, HD in a church? I shudder to think of the cost of the HD video infrastructure you're going to need. Our SD-SDI system was bad enough and standard def is downright CHEAP compared to what a proper HD system will need. Your switcher alone will cost more than our cameras. Heck, we couldn't even afford to completely do it the "right" way, we've got some serious duct tape I'd like to get rid of.

Actually HD multi-cam systems for a church are very affordable now. For example, with the GY-HD250 camera, you can do a full-blown studio config. for around $20,000. (This is what a decent SD church camera cost just 2 years ago.) And, there are now several small HD production switchers on the market for under $15,000 - one is even under $8,000. And, there are high-output native HD projectors available for less than $10,000.

So, a multi-camera HD I-Mag (Image Magnification) system for a church can now be built in a church for about the same cost as a SD was just a few years ago.

Last edited by Carl Hicks; April 11th, 2007 at 07:52 AM.
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know about the original poster, but in our case, we do a lot more than simple Imag.

I knew the HD250 studio rig was cheaper than our SD cameras (quick question, is it possible to use an HD250 handheld with the studio rig?), but I honestly didn't know there were affordable HD production switchers out there. The only gear I know about are the products from big guys like Grass Valley, Sony and Ross that are priced for people with more money than we have. We're using a 2 M/E Echolab switcher in our control room, which is about as cheap as you can go SDI and still do what we need to do with it.

Now what about HD character generators and recording/playback? We have to be able to put up worship lyrics, titles for speakers and sermon notes. We also need the ability to play video announcements, record a master and iso record all of our cameras for when we're shooting concert DVDs (The Mark David Williams DVD "Christmas This Year" was shot by us). We got this done reasonably inexpensively because there's tons of prosumer gear that can handle SDI, but I just haven't seen the same thing happening in HD. Even the BR-HD50U doesn't do HDSDI.

I suppose you could do character generation and video playback in SD and upconvert, but recording in HD is an absolute must.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
(quick question, is it possible to use an HD250 handheld with the studio rig?)
The studio configuration is very cheap for what it is I believe. These images and this functionality - if you would have predicted that a few years ago - everyone would have said you're crazy.

Using it handheld? With a serious steadicam it is possible...
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp View Post
The studio configuration is very cheap for what it is I believe. These images and this functionality - if you would have predicted that a few years ago - everyone would have said you're crazy.

Using it handheld? With a serious steadicam it is possible...
I do agree, HD250's an amazing deal for what you get. If you're building an HD production rig HD250 would definitely be the cheapest way to do it. If only the rest of the HD production chain could be priced accordingly.

As for a steadicam, I think buying a steadicam would offset the savings you'd get from using HD250s in the first place. =D

But I'll take that as a "no" that you can't handhold the HD250 studio rig?
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
As for a steadicam, I think buying a steadicam would offset the savings you'd get from using HD250s in the first place. =D

But I'll take that as a "no" that you can't handhold the HD250 studio rig?
Well, it would be pricy, but the only way to use it handheld connected to the studio-adapter. Perhaps a medium-sized steadicam for about 10,000 would do the trick and that would probably be in the budget of the rest of the setup. And you have steadicam images - that's quite a bonus...

Just handheld will be very difficult indeed - with 2 people operating it, perhaps? Or a dolly under the tripod? Taking that cam out of the adapter? plenty of options...
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Major Player

If I had a choice between a solid HD infrastructure consisting of studio cams only, or a full SD setup with tape iso's and graphics, I would take the HD setup. The HD setup can be built up later as the budget allows, but you want to start with the best base possible. Basic HD switchers are very affordable right now. The 250 in a studio config is one of the best HD options available to any house of worship right now.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #10
JVC America

Quote:
Well, it would be pricy, but the only way to use it handheld connected to the studio-adapter. Perhaps a medium-sized steadicam for about 10,000 would do the trick and that would probably be in the budget of the rest of the setup. And you have steadicam images - that's quite a bonus...

Just handheld will be very difficult indeed - with 2 people operating it, perhaps? Or a dolly under the tripod? Taking that cam out of the adapter? plenty of options...

To do hand-held with full CCU control is possible, but would require you to build up a custom cable harness. You would need several cables bundles together - video, genlock, intercom, and CAT 5 for the CCU extender. You would also need to power the camera with a battery.
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Well - that's an option too, but I suppose you mean without the studio-adapter, Carl?
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #12
JVC America

Quote:
Well - that's an option too, but I suppose you mean without the studio-adapter, Carl?
Correct. Not possible to shoulder-mount with the studio sled.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #13
Major Player

I do consulting for churches and TV ministries and I was waiting for JVC to come out with an HD CCU. Is that coming at all?

Oh, if you guys are in texas you should see a great HD system at work. Go to Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church in Houston. I don't think that many TV stations have a system like that. Just call them first to arrange a tour, they are super nice people, but you're talking about a 16,000 seats church.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #14
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba View Post
I do consulting for churches and TV ministries and I was waiting for JVC to come out with an HD CCU. Is that coming at all?

Oh, if you guys are in texas you should see a great HD system at work. Go to Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church in Houston. I don't think that many TV stations have a system like that. Just call them first to arrange a tour, they are super nice people, but you're talking about a 16,000 seats church.
Hi Doug,

I'm familiar with Lakewood Church, and they do have an incredible facility.

Next week at NAB, we will find out more about some new products that are on the horizon.

Regards,
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Major Player

That's great I guess I'll see you there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems