Batt. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Batt.

Hello
I'm using a IDX BATT SYS. for my 110u
I only have 1 batt. need to get at least one more
i know B&H has the ENDURA 7S for $189.00

has any of you folks ever use a B4B MODEL # SM-4060 90 WATT V MOUNT
they cost $235.00 the company said that they get longer shooting time

Still waiting for B&H to open
if you get a chance let me know

thank you all for your help. This is a great SITE
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit View Post
Hello
I'm using a IDX BATT SYS. for my 110u
I only have 1 batt. need to get at least one more
i know B&H has the ENDURA 7S for $189.00

has any of you folks ever use a B4B MODEL # SM-4060 90 WATT V MOUNT
they cost $235.00 the company said that they get longer shooting time

Still waiting for B&H to open
if you get a chance let me know

thank you all for your help. This is a great SITE
Well, calculating the prices out, the IDX battery is $2.82 per watt and the B4B battery is $2.61 per watt. That's a pretty incredible price for both when compared to the Sony's (Varizoom actually has the cheapest per watt, but they are Ni-MH bats.) Personally, I am in the same boat with the 110u and will be going with the B4B battery because it has a D-Tap right on the battery--which is nice when you need to power something other than the camera.

Just to note, the IDX battery is 71 watts and the B4B is 90 watts--that's almost an extra hour of shooting with the stock 110u.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Batt

Hello Matt
thanks for the info.
The company that sell the B4B is about 15 mins from where i live.
I'm going down to check them out.
Thank You
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Trustee

personally, I won't own lithion for a very simple reason, total cost of ownership. lithion batteries are rated at 250 charge cycles as a 1/2 life, NiMh 500, and old nicads 1000. once you figure the cost per use out, I've settled on Nimh for weight vs life expectancy. NiMh has proven so far to be the ideal middle ground. as for 70 vs 90w.... does it really matter ? thats 4 hrs of runtime with the LCD open. two batteries will get you thru the day. I've got two 65w nimh's and one older 13V AB brick for a total of 12hrs of runtime. I've never even come close to running out of power running 12hr days back to back.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
personally, I won't own lithion for a very simple reason, total cost of ownership. lithion batteries are rated at 250 charge cycles as a 1/2 life, NiMh 500, and old nicads 1000. once you figure the cost per use out, I've settled on Nimh for weight vs life expectancy. NiMh has proven so far to be the ideal middle ground. as for 70 vs 90w.... does it really matter ? thats 4 hrs of runtime with the LCD open. two batteries will get you thru the day. I've got two 65w nimh's and one older 13V AB brick for a total of 12hrs of runtime. I've never even come close to running out of power running 12hr days back to back.

I agree with you on paper, but when it comes to carrying a battery on your shoulder, LiIon is very attractive. I bought a 190Wh battery so that I could run cam, tapeless, and onboard light for a weekend of shooting without recharge. It weighs maybe 2-2.5lbs. The same life in nimh or nicad would be twice or three times that weight.

The price was ridiculous, but I would otherwise have to carry twice as many batteries. I am run-and-gun, so I carry my whole rig on my shoulder ! Also, I am not a tall or big guy, so every extra pound is killer.
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I used to use AB Hytron 120s-5.5 pounds each-first to put 3 in the bag was a killer then add the camera,wireless receiver, light and before you knew it you were toting around 20 pounds with the JVC5000U. Granted less than the old Betas but still a lot. When I made the switch to the Dionic 90s yes I gave up about an hour of shoot time but I also went from a 5.5 pound battery to one that weights in at 1.7 pounds. About a 3 1/2 pound difference and for a small old guy like me thats a lot. The 4 Dionics I carry weight slightly more than 1 1/2 of the Hytron 120s-if I have to replace a battery in another year (I've been using them for about 3 years) so be it but I think I'll be able to get away with them for longer if for no other reason I use the Intellicharger whichs conditions the batterys when I have them on the charger.
I'll give up the wattage and life cycle of the batterys for less weight and MY lifecycle. :-0
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
personally, I won't own lithion for a very simple reason, total cost of ownership. lithion batteries are rated at 250 charge cycles as a 1/2 life, NiMh 500, and old nicads 1000.
I do not think this is true. Everything being equal, Li-Ion will have longer cycle life than NiMH, not shorter. They might be less reliable than NiMh, as they have built-in electronics for safety reasons, which can fail as any electronics can. But if you compare at the cell level, NiMh is going to wear out sooner.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems