Blown Firewire Port On The Hd110 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blown Firewire Port On The Hd110 ?

Does anybody know how much it cost to repair the firewire port on the hd110 ?

DO NOT SWICTH FROM HD TO DV WHILE THE CAMERA IS ON .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

If this is the first time it happened JVC has been repairing it the first time as a courtesy, but if it happens again, you have to pay for it.

one of my rental vendors told me yesterday that their panasonic 1200 dvcpro-hd deck has had the firewire chip replaced 12 times in the 2 years they've had it, now they have an isolater.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That 1200a deck is really prone to blown firewire ports.
Jason Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal View Post
Does anybody know how much it cost to repair the firewire port on the hd110 ?
Hi Abdul,

JVC charged us $440.42 to repair the Firewire port on one of our HD100s when we blew one after coming out of the one-year warranty. Of course, the repair is free if your camera is still under warranty, but other than that I don't think JVC has a "the first one's free" plan for the camera.

The way it worked for us was: we sent in the camera to JVC repairs. They called and asked us for a credit card number. Before giving us an estimate, they required us to authorize a $70 "decline estimate" fee as well. They then estimated the charge at $440, and we said to go ahead and do it. (If we had declined the repair at that point, they would have charged us $70 and sent the camera back unfixed.)

Then we bought four of these Firewire isolators and haven't blown a camera since, although that could be luck as much as anything. (http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_...roducts_id/356)

-Keith
Keith Winstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal View Post
DO NOT SWICTH FROM HD TO DV WHILE THE CAMERA IS ON .
How do u think this fried the firewire port? I take it you mean the little switch above the firewire port to switch between HDV and DV output?

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The HD100,100A and 110 must be powered OFF when plugging in the firewire-when powering the camera UP make sure the camera is set to the position you want HD or SD-if you must switch it power the camera OFF before doing so. If you do not do this chances are very good that you will be sending both your camera and money to your nearest JVC repair center to fix the firewire port on the camera.
Actually this has been discussed in the HD100/110/200/250 forum on a couple of occassions.

Remember-power off, power on,power off,power on-kinda get the rhythm of the Karate Kid wax off,wax on bit and you'll be all set!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #7
DVi Contributor

you can blow a firewire port on anything if the unit is already on. You should always have both devices turned off when connection any firewire cable.
THe pins are sooo close that it is usually static discharge that zaps the port.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #8
New Boot

will it blow without connection

I mean to ask

Will the firewire port be blown up if I just switch from DV to HDV and vice versa without connecting it to anything. Will the camera indicate if the FW port is blown? I did not connect it to anything, but just switched from dv to HDV. I don't even have a firewire cable. Which FW cable should I buy? JVC did not provide FW cable, too bad.

Last edited by Kalsang Ringchen; April 13th, 2007 at 07:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Kalsang Ringchen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems