Standard 16x lens specs on GY-HD250 for wide angle adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Standard 16x lens specs on GY-HD250 for wide angle adaptor

Hi all. I am trying to find the specs on the standard 16x lens that came with my GY-HD250 camera. I'm looking for a good wide angle attachment solution for the lens and want to make sure I get the right setup. I've found nice looking Wide Angle attachments and converters by Cavision and Schneider (Century Optics). Any input is most appreciated.
Randy
Randy Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Randy,

The stock 16x lens has 82mm filter threads. The factory converter, WCV-82SC by Fujinon is excellent. I gives you a 4.5mm equivalent wide angle lens. There are others I know, and some are a little less, but this one works perfectly, and it is zoom through, that is, it will work through the full range of zoom of the lens. Many others are not zoom through.

The only thing you must remember when using any converter, is to check and reset the back focus when you intsall it, and again when you take it off. Many shooters just leave it on, expecially if most of the work is close-up or indoors.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I should also add, that of course this has 82mm threads, but the 82 in the model number refers to the percentage of additional wide angle: stock lens is 5.5mm wide, times 82 percent = 4.51mm. But you probably knew that.

Good luck.

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Here is a thread that has more information, and inside this thread is a link to another thread, etc.:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...eangle+adapter
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the replies guys. I would jump on the JVC zoom thru if it only added more range. The adaptors add between 30-50% but the JVC Converter only adds 18%. I also found the Red-Eye adaptor which is sold thru Video Gadgets. It looks very interesting as well. I like the convenience of the zoom thru but for my application I could probably get by with an adaptor. We'll be shooting a good bit on a boat and I need a pretty wide angle to capture the action. Thanks again for your help and any other comments and experience with other adaptors/converters for the JVC are most appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Randy,

Be aware that these adapters add an awful lot of chromatic aberration, vignetting and edge distortion. If you need anything critical I'd avoid using them.

The only way to get good wide shots with this camera is to use the 13x lens.

Just my opinion.

Liam.
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Liam. Does anyone have a link to information on the 13x? I appreciate the help.
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Trustee

I believe the Century adapters give you an excellent image. They have been used for a number of years on all kinds of cameras. The century .7x-.5x combo is fairly heavy.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I found the link to the Fujinon lenses available for the GY-HD100, 200 and 250, in case anyone else needs them:

Th13x3.5BRMU Wide Angle lens: http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...ucts.cgi?p=353
Th17x5BRM Standard lens: http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...ucts.cgi?p=361
HTs18X4.2BRM High Quality lens: http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...ucts.cgi?p=354
Randy Durham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems