2 questions about, lights & shutter speed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Hey Paolo, in TC3 you have the Luma set at -1. Does bumping that up to +1 pr +2 introduce noise or give bad distortion?
I don't know I didn't try it but please let us know the result if you try it. The best way to detect artifacts when changing the configuration in the camera is to compare WFM frames and to take a snap of the same exact scene with both settings and then compare the histograms.
For example, while making TrueColor for the Canon A1 I found that the WFM squares were a little too "fuzzy". I could not detect the cause by naked eye, even when looking through a decent size monitor. It turned out to be the detail circuit to be the cause of the noise. Apparently the edge enhancement would "wiggle" continuosly and create a lot of un-necessary noise. You cannot see that when checking the scene via the display or the viewfinder but it will be visible later on on a bigger display.
The WFM and histogram display are you objectve friends :) that help you check the image quality.
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks I will check it out
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback. I will do more tests to see where I'm messing up my lighting. I'm sure it's just lack of knowledge. But you have to start some where. I will continue to use my totas with some accessories as most of my close up shots look really nice.

I was trying to shoot 4 people in a bigger room. I didn't have a generator and the building had an old fuse system, as apposed to breakers. I shot with 800w total, plus the room had a lot of smaller lights. It was a rush job so I had very little time to test different setups.

So in the end, probably have enough lights, just need to learn how to use them better.
Thanks again,
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM   #19
Major Player

That could be the problem Jon, 800w for four people in a dark environment. With this camera you need about 800 watts for one persons! With four you'd need to run over 2K in a dark room to make the camera happy (won't make the people happy under all those lights). This camera creates a great image, but at the cost of sucking up light like there's no tomorrow. Keep working with your lights and be ready to direct a lot of light at the subject to bring the camera into it's sweet spot.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Major Player

Just as an update I did bump the luma up to +1 and that eased the light consumption noticably with any noticable degridation of the picture. So now if it's dark the luma gets bumped a little to save a stop or two.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems