HD200 Series Scene File Recipes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #16
Major Player

No I haven't reduced detail because I find that with the mini35 it makes it worse. The detail is already less with the mini35, so reducing it further made it worse in my opinion. Unless you have other thoughts.

Duke
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
No I haven't reduced detail because I find that with the mini35 it makes it worse. The detail is already less with the mini35, so reducing it further made it worse in my opinion. Unless you have other thoughts.

Duke
I was just worried about what the extra edge enhancement might do to the ground glass grain. I haven't conducted any detail tests with the mini35.

If you are watching everything on a HD monitor and it looks good to your taste then don't change anything mid-stride.

I actually sent you an email before you started principal photography suggesting that you not compress the blacks so much, and maybe bring up the master black up in the bleach bypass setting. I'm not sure if you got it.
I was just concerned that you might be cutting down shadow detail unecessarily. You can always easily crush the blacks in post, in a controlled environment.

Are you comfortable shooting WYSIWYG with the bleach bypass scene file? Has your DP had any situations where it wasn't working as well as you'd like?

When in doubt about white clipping, try exposing for the hi-lights and then turn off black compress to obtain some more details in the mid-range.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Good job

Hi Tim,

Well done on the scene files. I'm doing some test footage on the 250 for JVC Australia this week to show the camera off a little and will definately put a few of these settings to work.

Well done and thanks for the work you've put in on them.
Matt Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

THE MAN HAS COME THROUGH AGAIN!
Thanks Tim...
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim. I tried the files, and they are great. Really appreciate it.

Carl
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Has anyone tested the 'warm green' and got some material to show how it turns out? We're going to do a videoclip pretty soon and I'm looking for a look simular to the 'Amelie' look.

We get the camera (using a hd111e (we're in Europe) on a friday afternoon and will be shooting saturday early, indoors and outdoors, so there isn't much time to test the different settings
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee Smit View Post
Has anyone tested the 'warm green' and got some material to show how it turns out? We're going to do a videoclip pretty soon and I'm looking for a look simular to the 'Amelie' look.

We get the camera (using a hd111e (we're in Europe) on a friday afternoon and will be shooting saturday early, indoors and outdoors, so there isn't much time to test the different settings
The fifth sample in this test is the "Warm Green" setting.
Right-Click and Save from this link (38.9MB) to view a transport stream that includes comparison tests of:
1. Superwide
2. DSC CDM28 Calibrated
3. Film Noir
4. Warm
5. Warm Green (Amelié)
6. Bleach Bypass (Saving Private Ryan)
7. Cross-Processed Color Reversal (Three Kings)
8. Film Vert (The Matrix)
9. Close-Up Film Vert
10. Close-Up Cross-Process Color Reversal
11. Close-Up Bleach Bypass
12. Running guy Bleach Bypass

Note: This mpeg2 transport stream has not been re-compressed or colour corrected in any way. Only in-camera DSP was used to achieve the "looks." These tests were shot with the Fujinon 13x3.5mm lens, even though the scene files were designed with the 16x5.5mm.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #23
Regular Crew

when I 'save as' I just get a small 8kb .ts file, which I can't play. How can you play this file (on a mac)?

*edit* it works.. thanks, looks great
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #24
Major Player

use correct scene file for camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee Smit View Post
Djee, you probably figured this out, but since you posted in the NEW HD200 settings thread, be sure that you get and use the settings for the HD100/110, since the cameras have completely different processing and settings.
The 100 settings are easy to find in the first post of the sticky thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62835
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks for mentioning, because I hadn't even thought about that.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #26
New Boot

Scene Recipes

Any new Recipes for the 200? Find any 'truer colours'?

I just got a new jvc gyhd200 and im looking for the best colour adjustment I can put on it..
Jonathan Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I want to thank Tim for these scene files. Thanks to them (and Paolo Ciccone's TrueColor) I can't get enough of shooting with this camera!

The interesting part for me is whether to shoot with the Superwide scene vs. the DSC setting. Obviously, Superwide provides you with the maximum ability to grade the color later in post to find the look you are after... but what if DSC (or Paolo's TrueColor) is the look you are after in about 80% of the material you shoot?!

I guess it is a good problem to have.

Great work!

jpb
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Paul Bonadonna View Post
I want to thank Tim for these scene files. Thanks to them (and Paolo Ciccone's TrueColor) I can't get enough of shooting with this camera!

The interesting part for me is whether to shoot with the Superwide scene vs. the DSC setting. Obviously, Superwide provides you with the maximum ability to grade the color later in post to find the look you are after... but what if DSC (or Paolo's TrueColor) is the look you are after in about 80% of the material you shoot?!

I guess it is a good problem to have.

Great work!
If you want the maximum dynamic range with calibrated colour then just use the DSC setting you like, max out black stretch and lower the knee to 80%
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM   #29
Major Player

Tim,
I have to shoot a commercial in a controlled environment.I am planning to use your Superwide scene. Is there any way to decrease the noise level in post? The master will be in SD 16/9, is this noise as obvious as I see it on my LCD HD monitor?
Thank you for your great work,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Pal - Ntsc

Tim,

I'm mighty grateful for your considerable efforts. I want to buy your DVD as soon as the Pal version is available. In the meantime, I note that you say setups for a NTSC monitor. How do these settings work out in PAL or the 201e versions? The main difference (apart from DV being the frame rate.

Anyway, thank you again, it's all very much appreciated.

Stuart
Paris, France
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems