DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   where to find stock lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/93079-where-find-stock-lens.html)

Alan Ortiz May 3rd, 2007 12:30 AM

where to find stock lens

Does anyone know where I can find the Th16x5.5BRMU stock lens for the HD100? Or where I can get mine serviced? Thanks

Alan

Jad Meouchy May 3rd, 2007 10:41 AM

I've been thinking about selling mine. It's in perfect condition. Would you be interested?

Alan Ortiz May 3rd, 2007 08:18 PM

I might be interested but I need to find out how much it would cost to repair mine first. Or even where to find a place to repair it. I really dont have the cash to do either but right now I cant shoot without the Brevis 35 attached, which makes it useless for a whole bunch of applications.

Ted Ramasola May 3rd, 2007 08:43 PM

Alan,

Whats wrong with your stock lens, just had mine serviced by our own lens repair department. Is your problem related to mechanical problems?

Ted

George David May 3rd, 2007 08:54 PM

Mine has problems too - the OIS doesn't work.

J/K. How you doing, Ted?

Ted Ramasola May 3rd, 2007 10:38 PM

LOL George! OIS?!
I'm great! We'll be launching the project soon at Lim Kit Kai and well have 7 large LCDs with one running the HD footage from HD100.

Getting back to topic, I had a mechanical focus problem with the lens, a bolt inside got loose, its the one that moves the front element back and forth when you twist the focus ring, we realize the lens is easier to service than other pro lenses, we just "peeled" back those rubber grips on them an they expose the service screws. This stock lens are really small lenses inside and just housed on a large case.

Ted

Alan Ortiz May 4th, 2007 12:13 AM

Well I started to notice that the focus ring had trouble smoothly focusing the more I used the Brevis, but what really did it was when it fell over while on a glidecam. Tipped over more precisely. No external damage to the camera, lens, or housing whatsoever, but now once I focus from about 3m to infinity that range is "stuck" and doesnt move very easily. I took it to a lens service repair shop and the guy tried to remove the rubber housing and adjust something, but he thinks that the barrel must be slightly oval now rather than perfectly round the way its supposed to be. You could never tell just from looking at it. Everything looks exactly the same. I dont want to pay hundreds for a new lens (nor can I really afford to), but I will have to sell in the near future and I am already taking quite a cut on the 100 because of the newer model, and branding (not as popular). *catch breath* SO. If anyone knows anyone who could repair something like this for cheap that would be awesome. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Ted Ramasola May 4th, 2007 12:22 AM

I had exactly the same problem, and I was also using my DIY lens adapter, then i bumped the front end after which it wasnt turning smoothly, like theres a slight bump inside. I'll give you some hints in a while. have to shut down for electrical maintenance in the building.

Ted

Alan Ortiz May 4th, 2007 01:11 AM

Thanks Ted. I look forward to the tips and appreciate it!

Ted Ramasola May 4th, 2007 01:44 AM

ok, the stock lens has two rubber "straps". both on the focusing front part of the lens. Thers a wide one up front, after the green text "fujinon tv zoom lens" and another a "step" below. Peel them both back and you'll see a shiny tape wrapped around the barrel. find their ends and unwrap them. if they are ruined , replace them with thermal tapes from electrical shop. their the same. after unwrapping the tapes you'll fine holes for screws and a bolt that is used to engage a groove on the foward lens elements. This bolt forces the front lens to twist and move forward and back. In my case, this loosenes and fell off. we simply threaded it back in. We also added a small gluee to keep it from unloosening in the future.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Alan Ortiz May 4th, 2007 04:37 AM

no luck. I tried all the screws, re-tightening, but there is still too much friction at the end of the lens. The bolt was secure and wasnt loose at all. I think the barrel might be warped somehow, but visibly the entire assembly looks the same way it was when I bought it. Extremely frustrating. How much does this lens cost new from the manufacturer?

Ted Ramasola May 4th, 2007 04:49 AM

try to remove the screws so you can pull out the front lens element, its the lens group you see moving back and forth when you focus. Once its out you will see what is clogging the grooves or threads. i my case the bolt was stuck within the threads. you'll see whats chipped off, god forbid, and perhaps remove it without affecting performance.

Ted

Sean Adair May 4th, 2007 07:46 AM

Alan, I think the stock lens is about $800 new, although I don't see it offerred as an "a la carte" item at most places. (This is my deduction from the price differences when I bought my system). Sine the higher end lenses have only been available more recently, I'm sure there are people who have or are very close to getting qa higher end lens. They might sell the stock one very reasonably. I'm sure there are a few just sitting in closets.
Sounds like it isn't the right time/place/dimension for you to think about an upgrade, but I'm real happy with my 17x. It's a lot more glass and pro feel, and at least it's cheaper than the camera itself!

Alan Ortiz May 4th, 2007 10:54 PM

The real question is what is cheaper- repair or to buy one used. I have no clue what the cost of either of these routes could be. I tried emailing jvc pro support but no response for a week.

Alan Ortiz May 6th, 2007 10:26 PM

Anybody know who to call? I bought my HD100 from BHPHOTO but my warranty just expired last Thursday (bad timing). Or do I give fujinon a call?

-Sean, yeah the 17x is looking real sweet about now. Just need a paying gig to justify it!