Fast food spot with the 110u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fast food spot with the 110u

Hey guys, I thought I might show you the fast food spots I recently shot with the 110u. Personally, the only thing I would like to have different about the spots was a shallow depth of field for inside the restaurant so the background players wouldn't stick out so much (also better lighting, but my lighting guy didn't show up...sigh)

Tell me what you think...what was good, and what could have been better.

http://www.macvilleproductions.com/p...ducts42407.wmv
http://www.macvilleproductions.com/p...petro42407.wmv
http://www.macvilleproductions.com/p...ennis42407.wmv

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Matt,
Very nice! It's good to see a camera out working and making a profit (I hope it is, anyway).
What mode did you shoot in? How did you shoot the moving food shots?
As far as tightening the depth of field, more lighting would have helped, but you say you were hamstrung in that department. I'm not familiar with the HD110U - I'm thinking of purchasing one, or a similar model JVC - but if you added a little shutter speed - say, 1/100 or 1/125 - that would give you a little more depth, with only a slight strobe effect, not very noticable with the minimal action in your commercials.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Matt,
Very nice! It's good to see a camera out working and making a profit (I hope it is, anyway).
What mode did you shoot in? How did you shoot the moving food shots?
As far as tightening the depth of field, more lighting would have helped, but you say you were hamstrung in that department. I'm not familiar with the HD110U - I'm thinking of purchasing one, or a similar model JVC - but if you added a little shutter speed - say, 1/100 or 1/125 - that would give you a little more depth, with only a slight strobe effect, not very noticable with the minimal action in your commercials.
Hehe...I wish we had made a profit off these spots. We did them for $500 for a friend so we have some nice looking spots to take to ad agencies.

The food shots were shot against a blue screen. The rotation was done on a rotisserie motor because it spins really slow (Wal-Mart $20.)

Light was not the issue for getting a shallow depth of field. The issues were, not being able to zoom in because I was hand holding the camera while my partner was pulling me on a hand truck. The location is not huge, so I wouldn't have been able to zoom in very much and would have needed more distance between my actor and the extras. Getting a shallow depth of field on the 110U (or any small camera) is hard unless you have allot of space. This is why I am glad I'm moving upto the Red camera by the end of the year. I should have to worry more now about making it LESS shallow for focus issues.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Red

You're getting a RED? Congrats, I can't wait to see what you produce with one of those.
Nice website you have, by the way.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems