refurbished 100 or new 110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

refurbished 100 or new 110

Thanks much for this great site.

I’m contemplating that seemingly well-worn path towards buying refurbished, tight-budget fueled of course. The choice at B&H is $3,895 for a refurbished JVC GY-HD100u or $4,799.95 for a new HD110u.

Most of the improvements from the 100 to the 110 I can do without. But I am concerned with a few focusing complaints with the 100 (maybe the 110’s focus assist and B/W viewfinder significantly improved this?). Also a camera with a foggy history makes me nervous.

If I go with the 100, am I doomed to a lifetime of focusing headaches? Should I sell my blood and get the 110?

Final question: Is the KA551U adapter plate essential for mounting this camera on a tripod?

This camera will do some in-the-field documentary work and also shoot a low-budget film. Maybe it’s obvious, but I’m new to the HD field.

Chuck
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
New Boot

I got a refurb HD100. For the first week or so, I thought that focusing this camera would always be a pain in the butt, especially having come from a Sony VX2100 with near-perfect auto focus. However, it wasn't long before I had manual focus with the HD100 figured out, and now it isn't an issue anymore.
Josh Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Trustee

The camera has a 1/4" in threaded hole in the bottom like other cameras. Any tripod plate with a 1/4" screw will attach to the camera.

At this point I have a Cartoni Alpha and a Gitzo, and the plates from both heads just attach to the camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't know that much changed with focus assist in the HD110, but I can tell you that whatever's in the HD100 is pretty easy to get used to. If you have experience with a manual lens, you won't have much trouble 'getting the hang of it'.

The camera does have a standard mount, but if you put a battery kit and dte on the back, the camera is no longer balanced over it. In this case, it may be necessary to build or buy a mount that slides the point back a few inches to maintain neutral balance.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you much for your replys. Just the information I wanted to hear.
Chuck
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Major Player

The Focus on the HD100 is great. I would still get the 110 though. The CCD's have better alignment and less chance of SSE (Split-Screen Effect).
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner View Post
The CCD's have better alignment and less chance of SSE (Split-Screen Effect).
Where are you getting that info?

The 100 & 110 are pretty much the same camera, except for a couple of bells & whistles. I've read reports on this website from HD110 owners that say they have SSE.

SSE is a calibration issue due to the camera design. How is the HD110 designed differently to avoid this problem?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Where are you getting that info?

The 100 & 110 are pretty much the same camera, except for a couple of bells & whistles. I've read reports on this website from HD110 owners that say they have SSE.

SSE is a calibration issue due to the camera design. How is the HD110 designed differently to avoid this problem?
From Carl Hicks of JVC,

"Due to improvements in our calibration process, there have been VERY FEW incidents of split screen with the GY-HD110U. In fact, I believe that this is the first incidence of split screen on a GY-HD110 to be posted on this forum, and the camera has been shipping for several months. And, I have not heard or seen ANY incidents of this issue with the GY-HD250 or GY-HD200. With the higher-end electronics of these new models, I doubt that there will be any split screen issues with them."
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I suppose the focus complaints may come from those not used to manual focus.

How much help is the b/w viewfinder in being able to quickly find focus? Also what are the improvements (more settings or something?) in the 110's focus assist?

The camera will be used in some time-crucial docu shooting (i.e. quick interviews and mostly outdoor events) and will be used to shoot a low-budget film, where I'll be able to take the time for proper setup.

I would be interested to know if others believe the CCD setup is different.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anschutz View Post
I suppose the focus complaints may come from those not used to manual focus.

How much help is the b/w viewfinder in being able to quickly find focus? Also what are the improvements (more settings or something?) in the 110's focus assist?

The camera will be used in some time-crucial docu shooting (i.e. quick interviews and mostly outdoor events) and will be used to shoot a low-budget film, where I'll be able to take the time for proper setup.

I would be interested to know if others believe the CCD setup is different.
It's not that the CCD's are different, it has to do with the Configuartion of the Alignment of them...JVC, as I posted above, stated the HD110 uses better configuration.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems