Camera dead, tape stuck-help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Camera dead, tape stuck-help!

My JVC HD 100U died again today and I need the tape that is stuck inside of it for a very important edit tomorrow. I shot 45 minutes of HD footage up until 3:55 when the camera died while sitting on the dolly. The pull out screen went black and that was it. This happened to me the very first day I purchased the camera new.....I was wondering when it would happen again.

How can I get the tape out to edit tomorrow when the camera won't power up? Can I? JVC support told me to send it to their service center in Georgia and I would get it in 2 weeks. I asked for the direct number and was told that I could not have it. Just send the camera in.....kinda ticked me off and I am still upset but who cares?

Because I sent this camera in before for this exact same problem, I tracked down the phone number -(1 hour later and after 5:00 p.m.), and will attempt to talk to a live person tomorrow.

If you've been in my shoes then you know how frustrating this whole ordeal is, I am kind of asking myself why I have talked 6 people into buying this very camera.

alex
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Alex,

Sorry for your pain!!

Your situation is why I am about to purchase the DR-HD100 DTE. Tapeworks has the 60 gig unit for around $1200, which will give you 6 hours of recording. Then you have no more tape issues. I am done with tape. I love the camera, but hate tape transports!!!

Good luck and hope that you get a live person to help.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
DVi Contributor

it sounds like you have tripped the cameras breaker, this is a resetable switch on most other brands. It would be a small hidden button somewhere on the bottom of the body maybe?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Trustee

Is it dead on battery alone or is it deat when you plug in the AC adapter as well?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #5
New Boot

The camera is dead on the original battery, the new anton-bauer bracet with battery and the DC power in. The last time this happened I was told that the sottering on the inside was defective and had to send it in....
What gets me is the fact that it happened again and for those of yu that don't know, the only fuse in on the inside, you can't replace it yourself.
My camera is still under warranty and should be no problem to fix, the question is how long and how do I get the tape that I need today out of the camera????
Carl from JVC has tried to help via internet just as he did the first time this occured and he is the only one who I trust and who has returned ANY dialogue from JVC.

Alex
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Major Player

For the record, there is a user replaceable fuse on the IDX battery plate. However, this clearly isn't your problem, since XLR DC power is not giving you any love either.
My JVC GY-DV500 had a breaker switch on the bottom, and I did end up using once. It actually has more "broadcast standard" pro features than the pro-HD (but, no, I'm not going back!).
In any case Alex, don't blame the camera or JVC. Sh*t happens to complex equipment of all brands and prices.
It's an electrical relay that releases the catch on the tape door, so I don't think there will be any magic bullet to get your tape out. A techy could open it up and release that catch manually, but there is risk involved, and your warranty at stake.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #7

Hi Alex,
did you contact your reseller to intervene on your behalf with JVC?
Someone locally should be able to help remove your tape before shipping the camera out.
A JVC sales engineer might even be able to talk you through the process over the phone.
The local dealer in Orlando should be able to tell you who the JVC rep and sale engineer are for your area.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Menendez View Post
My JVC HD 100U died again today and I need the tape that is stuck inside of it for a very important edit tomorrow. I shot 45 minutes of HD footage up until 3:55 when the camera died while sitting on the dolly. The pull out screen went black and that was it. This happened to me the very first day I purchased the camera new.....I was wondering when it would happen again.

How can I get the tape out to edit tomorrow when the camera won't power up? Can I? JVC support told me to send it to their service center in Georgia and I would get it in 2 weeks. I asked for the direct number and was told that I could not have it. Just send the camera in.....kinda ticked me off and I am still upset but who cares?

Because I sent this camera in before for this exact same problem, I tracked down the phone number -(1 hour later and after 5:00 p.m.), and will attempt to talk to a live person tomorrow.

If you've been in my shoes then you know how frustrating this whole ordeal is, I am kind of asking myself why I have talked 6 people into buying this very camera.

alex
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #8
New Boot

Terry,
I called the dealer who sold me the camera. He put me in touch with the east coast rep who called me yesterday morning. I was given the name of a companyin Longwood, (10 miles north) and told to bring them the camera. I called them to get directions and though they had taken the proper training, they were not yet granted the title of (Offical JVC authorized repair center) yet. I called the rep back and he himself was having trouble contacting JVC to see what the problem was with getting them granted a repair center. Finally I broke down and took the camera to ITproducts, the repair center, and had them remove the tape, meanwhile, the call apparently came in granting them permission to cover the problem, which is still UNDER WARRANTY. Needless to say, they were pleased to get the gig and I am glad that I did not have to ship the camera through the mail.
I was told last night that this time it seems like the power supply was a dud....Parts will have to be ordered and I am awaiting the call this morning to see the total damage....and time to get the camera back.

My intitial thread that started this post was not meant to attack anyone in particular at JVC, it is just a mega-hassle to get a live person on the phone and yes there are some good people that work there, the phone-routing system is just a nightmare and you have to talk to 5 people before you get the correct response sometimes. I am wondering if the inter-communication between the people that I called on Tuesday is really that good that they ALL knew the sales rep had indeed contacted me yesterday to remedy the situation, or are they just blowing me off? My problem lies with the communication methods, thats all.
I know the camera is probably going to have some problems but I guess I am just use to taking care of my gear (I have a 10 year old Sony Betacam that has never been to the shop and works great) and having to ship something in for internal errors twice in 8 months is still a bummer.
I will keep ya'll posted on the progress...
alex
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems