DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Firmware update for HD200/250 'minimizes' FCP ingest issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/93647-firmware-update-hd200-250-minimizes-fcp-ingest-issues.html)

Tim Dashwood May 9th, 2007 03:34 PM

Firmware update for HD200/250 'minimizes' FCP ingest issues

JVC has posted a downloadable firmware update for the HD200 and HD250 cameras on their website.

The white paper for the update claims "This firmware will eliminate or minimize the number of clips that Final Cut Pro generates for a continuously recorded HDV section of tape."

I haven't had time to download and install the update yet. I've had exceptiionally good luck in the past so it will be difficult for me to judge if there is a significant improvement.

Therefore, I urge any HD200 or HD250 users who have been having problems to take a scientific approach to the firmware update. Before running the update, capture long section of tape that you've been having problems with. Then perform the update and attempt to capture that same tape again. Please report your results.

I'm hoping this will be the end to the FCP ingest issues, but please don't consider it an excuse to use cheap miniDV tapes.

I also hope that a similar update for the HD100 and HD110 is just around the corner.

If you don't feel comfortable conducting this update yourself, don't be embarrassed to take your camera to your dealer or local JVC service department. There is a risk of damage.

Here is the link to the firmware update.
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...ade/index.html

Scott Shuster May 9th, 2007 06:20 PM

Nothing but the finest, most expensive JVC top-of-the-line tape has ever touched our GY HD100UA, and we nonetheless had the problem interfacing with FCP from day one of our ownership of the camera.

So based on this experience it is not correct to assume that the problem has been related to tape quality. Low quality or non-JVC branded tape may exacerbate the problem, I don't know. But if your camera has the bug (or whatever it is) in it, high-quality tape will not save you from suffering.

And of course if you have an HD100UA or HD110, as of now there is NO solution for us except for the abandonment of tape in favor of digital recording direct to a revolving hard drive. "DTE" (as it is called) is our only sure solution: It's costly, but it works and delivers further benefits as well.

I'm so happy with the DTE solution that I bought another one of these cameras as soon as I learned of the DTE "fix." This 720p-capable camera (100UA or 110) is so wonderful that I did not hesitate to get another one for a split second, once the DTE solution became clear.

Scott Jaco May 9th, 2007 08:22 PM

Why on earth would they not have an update for the HD100/110? Since it has the exact same problem? I really hope the HD100 update is coming soon!

Tim Brown May 9th, 2007 08:46 PM

I think the MPEG Streamclip work-flow will be with us for some time to come.

Jeffrey Butler May 9th, 2007 11:33 PM

I'm thrilled to have downloaded this...

...but I'm going to wait to actually rejoice until the 24p sequence I shot yesterday comes in. But if there's still the 7 sec delay on clip change, then while I may enjoy the 'performance boost', I'm just going to be feelin' "Warmest Regards" and not a full Joice. Certainly not a "RE: Joice."

Jeffrey Butler May 9th, 2007 11:50 PM

No way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown (Post 676203)
I think the MPEG Streamclip work-flow will be with us for some time to come.

Can't you capture with AIC and ignore all this? I'm under the impression that the issues I'm having with native HDV captures in FCP aren't there (they haven't been for me) when using the HDV Apple Intermediate Codec straight capture...

I just tried the DVHScap workflow tonight. It's "fun" to see the raw .m2t in Streamclip once you have it - but to then wait to then transcode it? I'd rather eat glass. Seriously - it may work in some needful cases - but it just doesn't cut it for real workflow. The transcoding triples the time for an hour capture. And of course not shooting to an HDD doubles it I suppose...but if you're doing it for archive purposes in addition to capturing it, ok...the .m2ts are nice (to then put to DVD).

And if you're going to wind up transcoding it to edit it anyway, then the direct capture (assuming it works for you) into FCP via AIC seems like the way to go.

Marc Colemont May 10th, 2007 06:20 AM

Will this update also work in Europe type E camera's, or is it an update for US camera's only?

Tim Brown May 10th, 2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 676325)
...And if you're going to wind up transcoding it to edit it anyway, then the direct capture (assuming it works for you) into FCP via AIC seems like the way to go.

But I post using Sheer's 4:2:2 codec, so to ingest using AIC and then transcode to Sheer's codec is too much loss for my tastes. I would rather wait and get it into Sheer's codec as it saves time and lotsa spce in the long run for me. I would prefer to ingest in Sheer's codec, but alas I'll continue to transcode. Hmmmmpphh.

Jeffrey Butler May 10th, 2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown (Post 676431)
But I post using Sheer's 4:2:2 codec, so to ingest using AIC and then transcode to Sheer's codec is too much loss for my tastes.

I agree with that if you require compositing freedom. May I ask why you didn't choose to work with a codec/capture board that's already out there? Like a Kona or Blackmagic? I haven't tried to bring it in under another setting via firewire, but with a capture card, you could take care of that easy. Seems like you could recoup the cost in time alone in one, maybe two shoots and then you've got your life back. :D

Jeffrey Butler May 10th, 2007 04:13 PM

Card Reader?

What are you Mac users doing for a card reader? That's going to put a kink in my upgrade....

Sean Adair May 10th, 2007 04:36 PM

my dell monitor :) I can also use my palm treo.
- but card readers are a dime a dozen. I've got a dedicated one in a drawer somewhere. The USB ones should just plug and work on a mac.

Jeffrey Butler May 10th, 2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 676875)
my dell monitor :) I can also use my palm treo.
- but card readers are a dime a dozen. I've got a dedicated one in a drawer somewhere. The USB ones should just plug and work on a mac.

Oh, I've got card readers - but they don't seem to handle SD cards...

Sean Adair May 10th, 2007 04:40 PM

The thing that I wonder is - weren't people having trouble even using the BR-HD50 deck? Or am I wrong? Is the broken up clip missing seconds phenomena ONLY when capturing from the cameras?
All updates are very welcome. Thank you JVC!
(I even got a note from Craig Yanagi directly notifying about the upgrade!)

Carl Martin May 10th, 2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 676863)
What are you Mac users doing for a card reader? That's going to put a kink in my upgrade....

Good question.

Jeffrey Butler May 11th, 2007 08:09 PM

Well, the update went fine over here, but it sure doesn't help that ridiculous 7 second delay in recognizing the dv start/stop. It's more infuriating than I can to get into. Seriously - I can't stand it.

Is anyone else having HDV capture delays on scene change? Please, don't tell me to roll 10 seconds before each shot. I could care less what's happening in the scene - I want a clip AT the start/stop break. I'll capture whatever way does that...without buying a card I'll just have to replace in a year....*sigh.