HD250 for Discovery HD? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I was making a point regarding if the 1/3" sensor or HDV was the limitation.
With regard to Discovery HD, the primary limitation is the 1/3rd-inch sensor size, and not the HDV format itself. Case in point: Discovery HD places the exact same restrictions on video originated from the Panasonic HVX200, which is not an HDV camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM   #32
Wrangler

assuming that this is all just speculation, will the XDCAM EX, with its 1/2'' chips then make it onto the list of "acceptable" cameras. it would be nice to be able to afford a camera with a form factor that i like (i don't like shoulder mounts) that actually meets broadcast standards, instead of all this backdoor mentality. i simply don't like all the sneakiness that's implied. i'd just like to be able to shoot a camera that meets their standards, in a form factor and at a price point that meets mine. i'd like these things to converge, finally....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
assuming that this is all just speculation, will the XDCAM EX, with its 1/2'' chips then make it onto the list of "acceptable" cameras.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be accepted since it has the same size sensors and recording format. The sensor limitation they have in place is likely due to limitations in dynamic range. But you're quite right, Meryem. It's speculation until the camera actually hits the streets.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
With regard to Discovery HD, the primary limitation is the 1/3rd-inch sensor size, and not the HDV format itself. Case in point: Discovery HD places the exact same restrictions on video originated from the Panasonic HVX200, which is not an HDV camcorder.
Hmmm... the HDX 200's sensor brings other issues.

The XDCAM HD EX seems to be targeted at the Discovery HD and BBC HD type market. Although, with the potential size and weight of a rigged out camera with mics etc it might work better on the shoulder.

However, this isn't the forum to discuss these two cameras.

Here's an article that Phil Rhodes did for "Showreel" about recording from the HD 250's HD SDI output.

http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?239

[ADMIN EDIT: In accordance with DV Info Policy, corrected URL link to point directly to Showreel article.]
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM   #35
Wrangler

Thank you Brian. I had to edit the external forum link in accordance with DV Info Policy.

I openly invite Phil to post his side-by-side comparisons of encoded 720P60 compared to HD-SDI capture on DV Info Net. Unfortunately we can't link to his frame grabs without his permission.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #36
Inner Circle

No problem, I didn't have the link to his article.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Since we are talking HD here, and virtually all HD monitors/projectors display progressively, doesn't it depend on how the monitor de-interlaces the signal? My understanding is that many systems combine the fields to create a progressive frame (at 30fps or for 24p originated material at 24p with repeat frames) and that the alternative of uprezzing a field of 540 lines to a full frame at 60fps looks worse.
With the popularity of 1080i for cable HD, I would hope there is a better decoding solution - I'd like to know (but will remain a progressive evangilist)
How does this get interpreted to modern non-interlaced displays?
I'm not expert in that area, but I'd guess that TVs are using some form of adaptive deinterlacing that uses the "weave" technique on static portions of the frame and the "bob" technique on the moving parts of the frame. That way you get full vertical resolution in static scenes and full temporal resolution in moving scenes. Again this is just my guess, I haven't done the research since I'm not in the market for an HDTV. FUN FACT: I don't even own a TV period, spending a whole day shooting just kind of turns me off to the idea of watching even *more* TV, y'know?
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems