18x lens worth the money? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

18x lens worth the money?

Hi all. I purchased a GY-HD250 with the standard 16x lens back in January. I haven't been too happy with the standard lens because of back focus issues and because of the physical length of the lens, it jams my thumb up against my Zacuto rail system mount when using hand held. I'm trying to locate the tech specs on both the standard 16x and the 18x4.2BRM to see physically how much larger the 18x is. But I wondered if other GY HD users thought the 18x was worth the extra money? I've always been a proponent of expensive glass but I'm just starting a new company and was trying to keep costs down a bit.

I also noticed that B&H has two different models: the HTS18X42BRM and the HTS18X42BRMM48, which is $90 more. What is the difference? Thanks for your input.
Randy Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Randy,

Sounds like the best thing would be to rent one if you can. Not sure if that's possible in NC.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I never thought I'd buy another JVC camera (I had one of the original KY-2000's I believe it was, but have Ikegami and SONY ever since). But I love this camera. I bought the 100GB Firestore drive for it and it works great. I've got Mattebox, follow focus, rail system, portable teleprompter, etc. I just need to get the better lens for it. Any ideas on what the difference in the two lens numbers listed above are? Thanks for your help.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There MUST be a side by side comparison of the lenses. If there isn't, there should be.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
New Boot

The 18 x 4.2 lens is worth the money

I purchased this lens to use on a BBC feature doc I shot in February and March on two JVC 251 cameras. It is very much superior to the standard lens and the 17 x5mm as well. In the cutting room we can always tell which is which, and it only goes to prove the old adage that you get what you pay for. It is longer and obviously heavier than the standard lens however. My lens was $7,700 from Abel Cine in New York which when converted back to UK pounds was a bargain as far as I am concerned.

Geoffrey Smith
Geoffrey Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for the replay Geoffrey. Looks like I'm going to have to get one. :) If I could get one for $7700 it would definitely be a no brainer. The AbelCine.com website is quoting $9299.00 for it. Any ideas on where I can get the best deal on the 18x4.2 lens? :)

Last edited by Randy Durham; June 9th, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I ordered the 18x4.2BRM lens today. :)
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Randy,

where did you get it and how much???

Thanks,

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

They probably wouldn't appreciate my quoting a price but I ordered it from Chris at Media Concepts (www.mediaconcepts.tv). B&H had a 2-4 week wait. I actually had a lower quote from Scott at Tapeworkstexas.com but decided to go with Media Concepts. Chris was great to work with and their price was better than B&H. :)
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I should have been more patient with my local dealer too, but I needed the lens pretty quickly. It turns out that my local dealer, Technical Video Systems in Cary, NC, had the best price of all and their support is great. I've worked with these folks for over 20 years. If interested call Murphy at 877-359-5313. Their website is http://www.techvid.tv

Last edited by Randy Durham; June 14th, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
Randy Durham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems