DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   dr-hd-100 firestore problem. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/96613-dr-hd-100-firestore-problem.html)

Douglas Joseph June 15th, 2007 12:20 PM

dr-hd-100 firestore problem.

Hey, guys. I just recently purchased the dr-hd-100. And I must say, it's pretty dang sweet. I'm able to record with it, however... that's only if I'm recording to a tape as well. But... here's the the problem. I can't record to the hard-drive unless I record to a tape. What settings are you guy's using, in order to record to the drive-hard without a tape in your deck? Or, is there a way to record to the hard-drive with a tape in the deck, but not record to the tape? That's kind of confusing. Hopefully there's a way around this. I called Focus Enhancements, and there's trying to figure something out. They're gonna be calling me back. That's all I got... Thanks in advance. By the way, I'm also using the jvc-gy-hd110u...

-Douglas Joseph

Heath Vinyard June 15th, 2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph (Post 697283)
Hey, guys. I just recently purchased the dr-hd-100. And I must say, it's pretty dang sweet. I'm able to record with it, however... that's only if I'm recording to a tape as well. But... here's the the problem. I can't record to the hard-drive unless I record to a tape. What settings are you guy's using, in order to record to the drive-hard without a tape in your deck? Or, is there a way to record to the hard-drive with a tape in the deck, but not record to the tape? That's kind of confusing. Hopefully there's a way around this. I called Focus Enhancements, and there's trying to figure something out. They're gonna be calling me back. That's all I got... Thanks in advance. By the way, I'm also using the jvc-gy-hd110u...

-Douglas Joseph

Hey there.
When I do this, I just leave the firestore on standard settings and hit it's record button, rather than the camera's button. I was reading that there was a way to set it up to do just tapeless recording using the camera's record button by putting it on syncro and setting up the camera as well. It's detailed in the DR-100's manual how to do this. I was just trying this out when my camera's firewire port died.

Stewart Menelaws June 15th, 2007 05:30 PM

See if this helps...

DRHD100 Settings: (opening window should have a "J" up the top left corner)

First Menu:
Record - Normal
HDD Mode - DV or HD Recorder
HD Formats (or DV) - Quicktime (Or M2T if you prefer)
Set Up - make sure you have set the time & date
Functions - FA JVC GY-HD
Utilities - set as you wish
Reels - set as you wish
Play - Play All or set as you wish
Play From - Track List
Control - JVC GY-HD

DR100 Drive:
1: Always a good idea to Format Drive before starting a new project -
Utilities > Format Disc > Yes

Camera:
1: Check firewire switch is at DV or HDV depending on your choice
2: Check camera format settings DV or HDV
3: Check menu is set OTHERS > 1394 REC TRIGGER > SYNCRO (I understand that the US model has slightly different wording - its in the manual)

Camera should record without the need for tape controlled from the camera...

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Joseph A. Benoit June 15th, 2007 05:30 PM

Hello Doug
doug go to others menu 2/2 set 1394 trigger to SYNCO
SCROLL DOWN TO DR HD100 set it to on, now your DR-HD 100 can work from your camera and no tape needed.
your DR HD 100 will also shut off when you turn the camera off
Joe

Glen Vandermolen June 16th, 2007 08:21 AM

Douglas,
Just curious, why don't you want to also record to tape? Wouldn't that give you a back-up should you lose the DR-HD100 files? Should I get a Firestore, I think I'll record to tape as well for a safe archive medium. It'll cost more, but it'll always be there. Does anyone out there record simultaneously to tape as a common practice?

Stewart Menelaws June 16th, 2007 08:45 AM

Glen -

We are recording to tape when we are working on most projects as we have come across dropped frames on the drives, but then again we have also had audio problems on tape in HDV mode - not much but it has happend, so at the moment we don't take any chances... and as you say, tape is still a cheap method of archive / storage.

We do not use tape when doing tests such as working out efx shots etc or certain types of cameo clips in the studio - here the drives really save us time and money, much the same as when we replaced our stills cameras with digital stills cameras - if you have the budget the drive is a nice way to go and the Quick Time wrapper in the new versions works really well.

Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Joseph A. Benoit June 16th, 2007 03:30 PM

Hello Heath
did you connect the firewire with the camera on or disconnect with the camera on
that will blow the firewire connection
when i disconnect the firewire from Cam/DR i turn off both units.before disconnecting

Joe

Allan Coy June 19th, 2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 697662)
Douglas,
Just curious, why don't you want to also record to tape? Wouldn't that give you a back-up should you lose the DR-HD100 files? Should I get a Firestore, I think I'll record to tape as well for a safe archive medium. It'll cost more, but it'll always be there. Does anyone out there record simultaneously to tape as a common practice?

Sure we record to both as a common practise 9 times out of 10, but certin problems arrise when your out shooting all day, every day. Sometimes we can only go to the hard disk. I think Douglas is just using some good forward thinking, as he just recently accquired the new unit.

Allan Coy

Douglas Joseph June 22nd, 2007 01:51 PM

Well, I'd rather not have to use tapes ever again, which the chief reason why I bought the dr-hd100. Which would keep the hrs on my heads low... I've been able to record to both the hard-drive AND tape. But is it possible to record WITHOUT a tape in the deck? If not, is possible to record to the hard-drive, but NOT the tape while the tape is in the deck? Which, in turn, would not put any hrs on the heads. If anyone's yeilded successful results, let me know which settings you're using on the Others menu on the jvdhd110, and dr-hd100 (for example, split, series, etc.) Thanks a lot, dudes. Take it easy.

Joseph A. Benoit June 22nd, 2007 04:46 PM

Hello Doug
read thread #4
you do not have to use tape when using Dr-hd100

Have good day
Joe

Douglas Joseph June 25th, 2007 09:55 AM

Oops, I didn't see all the new replies; didn't refresh the page. Thanks a lot, guys. You guys are rockstars.

John Mitchell June 27th, 2007 09:29 AM

The DR-HD100 is a wonderful workflow timesaver bu I would strongly advise against not recording to tape as well. However attractive it might seem, the first time it fails could pay for a new set of heads a couple of times over.

I would say the rate of failure of individual clips via firewire to hard drive is maybe 2x higher than even standard mini DV tape - what's more a droput on tape is often not as disasterous as a corrupted clip.

Live events are especially troublesome to get re-done.

Allan Coy July 1st, 2007 06:10 AM

New set of heads

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell (Post 703627)
The DR-HD100 is a wonderful workflow timesaver bu I would strongly advise against not recording to tape as well. However attractive it might seem, the first time it fails could pay for a new set of heads a couple of times over.

I would say the rate of failure of individual clips via firewire to hard drive is maybe 2x higher than even standard mini DV tape - what's more a droput on tape is often not as disasterous as a corrupted clip.

Live events are especially troublesome to get re-done.

Great point i couldn't agree more, if you care for the client and wish to keep them a backup is a must. I have seen currupted files myself.

Douglas Joseph August 7th, 2007 07:32 PM

I tried out your guy's suggested settings, and it's working great! Tapeless, baby! And so far, I haven't had a corruputed file yet... With the old settings I was using I was getting corrupted files pretty often. Like... every 1 outta 20, I'd say.